Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: $ I need ideas

To disable ads, please log-in.

What great ideas.
    I love the "BIKE account". Sounds so much better than "BANK account".

In a situation like that, I'd be pricing a Rohloff hub. That way, I could have both the bike account and the nifty new thing, eventually.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

custom embossed leather seat cover:
    http://busymanbicycles.blogspot.ca/

This necklace:
    http://shop.lesnereides.com/la-petit...se-poudre.html

custom head badge:
    http://www.headbadges.com/id74.html

These beer glassses:
    http://www.paper-source.com/cgi-bin/...20/414744.html

Threadless has a bike collection:
    http://www.threadless.com/curated/bi...%20Subscribers

That's what I got off hand....

Spend it on memberships to local, state, and national bicycle advocacy organizations. Depending on what sort of bicycling you do, the national bike adv group could be the League of American Bicyclists, or Rails to Trails, or any of several options.

If you haven't already had Traffic Skills 101, that's a good investment.

Still $$ left over? Save it for next year's memberships.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

I vote bank too. I would save it for bike items that I want or need in the future. What about using some of it for a Road ID?
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

I'd use it for a trip - either put towards a tour or just used to pay for hotel rooms to go somewhere and ride.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Custom headbage, I'd LOVE one of those for my mountain bike.

I like the Garmin or the bike trip as well.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

If you live in a place with cold winters, and your bike has clearance for them, how about studded tires? They would cost less than half your budget, so you can bank the rest, and they will extend your riding season. I know it's crazy to think about them when summer is just beginning, but they were one of my best purchases.
    Last edited by redrhodie; 05-30-2012 at 03:11 AM.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

SPEND IT FRIVOLOUSLY!!!!

I agree that the gift giver probably wanted you to spend it on something for your enjoyment. They could have BOUGHT you something for your enjoyment had they known what that was. (But since you don't even know, how do THEY know?!)

I 100% agree with the Garmin idea. I have a Garmin Edge and LOVE it. Couldn't possibly live without it. But then again, I'm a stats freak. And because I'm always blowing my nose when I ride and go potty often, my husband calls me the Snotty, Potty, Stat Queen.

I must know how fast I'm going, how fast my current "lap" is, my over all average pace, how far I've gone, how far I have to go, what percent incline I'm on . . . and everything else there is to possibly know. And I have a record of pretty much all of it on bikejournal.com

Another option is to lighten your bike, if you so desire. You know, if you're one of those "weight weeny" types . . . like me. Do you have really light wheels? Are there any other components on your bike that could be lighter?

What about your cassette? Is it the optimal cassette for your goals? My cassette helps me climb better, cause I need all the help I can get. My wheels do the same, while my husband's wheels are made more to help him ride fast on the flat.

If you DO decide to put the money in the bank, I would only "approve" such insanity . . . . . . if you figured out something you really wanted that costs more than $400 and you were saving for it.

A Garmin Edge seems to fit nicely into that price range, though. You'd even have some left over for some new socks, a couple of sports bras and some CamelBak bottles. Maybe some sweet PINK handlebar tape!
    GO RIDE YOUR BIKE!!!

2009 Cannondale Super Six High Modulus / SRAM Red / Selle San Marco Mantra

I have to say that my Garmin 800 is one of the best things I've spent my money on. Did I *need* it? Well, no. But it's made my riding so much more pleasurable! I like knowing where I've been, how far I've climbed, etc. I also like programming in a route and then not having to fiddle with a cue sheet, etc. Plus, I can go exploring without fear of getting lost.

So, I guess a new Garmin would get my vote too.
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

Rapha Grand Tour Gloves!!!

TiGr lock
    Help me reach my $8,000 goal for the American Lung Association! Riding Seattle to D.C. for clean air! http://larissaridesforcleanair.org
    http://action.lungusa.org/goto/larissapowers

Smile

I like banking it until you know exactly what you want. I like the Garmen idea, fabulous choices now. Do you have a cycling magazine subscription, which may give you the perfect idea? Happy Birthday. What a wonderful problem to have! Enjoy!

Send it to me...just kidding.... I love Rapha cycling clothes so I'm a little biased, but their jackets are awesome (and expensive). They make great rain jackets and the softshell jacket is great. Otherwise, the like the cycling bank account. I have a "bike account" where my monetary gifts go to. have fun with it.

If I had the money, I'd probably do another bike clinic, because it really helped my bike handling and confidence on the bike.
    Or I'd just go on a nice bike-related vacation.