Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Chicked"

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by limewave View Post
    I didn't realize it was a road term too, but makes sense. I don't do group road rides anymore so I'm kind of out of the loop.
    I didn't really realize it was used in the cycling world until recently. Chicking is definitely a concept in running. If a woman passes a guy while wearing a skirt it's sometimes viewed as an even bigger deal.

I'm sorry that your DH is struggling with things. I have to say as a spouse that is sort of in his position that I will be REALLY thankful when Lumberjack is over--not because I really envy my DH's mountain bike abilities (I can't expect to keep up with him--he's been riding for years and is just naturally a really athletic guy--I don't have any natural athletic ability and have crap-fer-lungs on top of it), but because it takes a lot of his time and when he is home is is always super tired. I mean, what healthy 40 year old guy says no to a nekkid wife in his bed?! I really hope he doesn't decide to do it again next year. Between his week+ trip out west for mountain biking and general Lumberjack training I sort of feel like my husband has been hijacked.

We had plans of redoing our upstairs and having it done by Summer. I got one "attic" room done by myself and as much as I could get moved into it. Now the room we want to renovate for DS is still full of DH's boxes of books and crap and I can't get any more done until he tackles that--but he has no time or energy for it. I'm desperate to get this house sellable (as is he, most of the time), but it's taking a backseat to his fun, which really kinda p!sses me off. His little midlife crisis (he turned 40 in Feb.) would have been easier if he'd just gone out and bought a sports car.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    Well, for the term to mean anything or give any ego points, you have to assume that any man should at all times be stronger and fitter than any woman. Which is a bit defeatist, if you ask me.
    chiming in, unless racing, biking should be about things other than competition but I realize I am in the minority
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie_Ama View Post
    I do get a bit of joy out of chicking guys if they react negatively. Nothing like seeing them seeth a bit and try to chase you, in my mind it is race practice.
    This.
    I'd never be able to "chick" my DH - either on the road or trail. He's just too fast for me. But we ride together a fair bit, and I'll take turns at the front. Last week, DH and I were out on our TT bikes. We passed a guy who didn't like being passed - most especially it seems by a couple of lycra wearing folks (even a woman!) on a time trial bike. He was gonna show us - and got on my wheel and wouldn't give up. He was quite the sketchy rider - the sort who blows stop signs and red lights to get ahead only for us to catch him again. We were riding at our pace and actually groaned when we caught him again, only to have him hop on my wheel again. By the time we got to a long gradual hill out of the park - DH took off, I was recovering from a long ride the day before and a long run that morning. But I was sick of this guy on my wheel, so I put the hammer down. I rocketed up that hill at 18 mph (NEVER did that before) and dropped him like a stone. So happy we left the park - and him - not long after that. I told DH at the top of the hill "Yeah, I had to chick him, he was annoying."

So that's about the only "chicking" I ever do. Annoy me...and I'll put the hammer down. For pete's sake get over it if someone - a woman - passes you.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Quote Originally Posted by 7rider View Post
    This.
    I'd never be able to "chick" my DH - either on the road or trail. He's just too fast for me. But we ride together a fair bit, and I'll take turns at the front. Last week, DH and I were out on our TT bikes. We passed a guy who didn't like being passed - most especially it seems by a couple of lycra wearing folks (even a woman!) on a time trial bike. He was gonna show us - and got on my wheel and wouldn't give up. He was quite the sketchy rider - the sort who blows stop signs and red lights to get ahead only for us to catch him again. We were riding at our pace and actually groaned when we caught him again, only to have him hop on my wheel again. By the time we got to a long gradual hill out of the park - DH took off, I was recovering from a long ride the day before and a long run that morning. But I was sick of this guy on my wheel, so I put the hammer down. I rocketed up that hill at 18 mph (NEVER did that before) and dropped him like a stone. So happy we left the park - and him - not long after that. I told DH at the top of the hill "Yeah, I had to chick him, he was annoying."

So that's about the only "chicking" I ever do. Annoy me...and I'll put the hammer down. For pete's sake get over it if someone - a woman - passes you.
    Wait lemme guess, the park in question was Rock Creek. I used to encounter many guys on Beach Drive who could not abide being passed by a woman. Sometimes I would just stop and give them a chance to get up the road to get them out of my ride.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Since I have never been athletic in my life, I'm happy to pass ANYONE!

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle

Quote Originally Posted by TigerMom View Post
    Since I have never been athletic in my life, I'm happy to pass ANYONE!
    +1 My "chicking" tally is a massive 3 and I suspect one doesn't count as it was a mum with a childseat (though I was pulling B in a trailer at the time), the second is dubious as it was a much older gentleman with a laden backpack. The third was my dh, just a few yards from the top of a hill, and I have to say that passing him was the icing on the cake as that was the first time I'd managed to ride the whole hill in one go. He took it in very good form, as indeed I do every time he passes me.
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

The term is an interesting one, and it does seem to often have an edge to it. I think I prefer "dropping", though that term would probably bother some anyway. Regardless, I've not done it often, but I've done it a few times. Generally the other rider has been very new or only rides once a year, far more out of shape, and/or on a bike without many gears. There isn't much of a chance for an ego boost when I've done it. This is a good thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie_Ama View Post

I do get a bit of joy out of chicking guys if they react negatively.
    That. I passed a guy in his 40s last summer on the trail. He freaked out, then blew past me, giving me a dirty look in the process. I later passed him, sprawled out in the grass trying to catch his breath.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I think I am a bit sensitive to this because of a more personal reason. DH, when we first met, really wanted a partner he could ride MTB with. And then I finally got a little stronger and lost a bit of weight and I could suddenly hold my own. I don't want to bash DH, because he is a great guy and partner in almost every aspect. However, my mtbing, I can tell, bothers him! I can see he struggles with this. He knows he's being a jerk about it, but can't stop himself. He's just not supportive of it anymore and he's resentful

It's really taking a toll on me. This season has been tough. I'm not all that motivated to go out and train because I know it bothers DH when I do well. I've also put on a bit of weight.

I keep telling myself this is DH's issue. I shouldn't let him hold me back. but it's tough! I don't want to create a wedge between us.
    Hope you find a solution with hubby, limewave. But I hope you also have a female, good mtbiking friend to chat about cycling in general. Indy's suggestion "Dance of Anger" is a good book for all sorts of relationships.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I have never really heard that term used. With co-workers who bike and commute we like to talk about our cat 6 (category 6) racing. Cat 6 is the act of riding/commuting with the idea that everyone else is "racing" you/them. We get some great stories. I don't tend to base it on gender though as I see this on both sides.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '89 Bridgestone Radac Dura-Ace | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1 | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1.2 (balloon tire bike) | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '93 Bridgestone MB-5 (my SUB*) | Specialized Lithia, 143

My blog: Portlandia Pedaler (at Blogger)

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I don't care who passes me: I just want to enjoy my ride and not be forced to walk my bike....but I will walk my bike if there's something I can't accomplish on bike.

So until I joined TE forums, I had never heard of the term "chicked". I don't hang out with any cycling group/friends who train regularily together or compete. So not surprisingly after cycling regularily for last 20 yrs., I am not familiar with certain cycling 'subcultures', particularily on intensive /racing side.

Over the years, my partner tells me, with admiration and respect of other cyclists who may have passed him, male or female. I think it's important for any woman or guy who is an experienced cyclist, that over time they will not be always as strong cycling-wise. It doesn't get easier as you get beyond 50, 60 years old.

Cycling for a long time in your lifetime..requires being patient with oneself as one's physical abilities changes. We just have to enjoy the ride..no matter what speed. And forget about other cyclists around us and their speed.

Oh, yea, my partner..is 69. I would be concerned if he felt his ego was battered, but it's not. Because he was never oriented to be always "better", "faster" than the next guy/gal.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I really don't have a problem with people passing me, or passing other people (doesn't happen very often), but if they're going to be jerks about it, well...
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    I really don't have a problem with people passing me, or passing other people (doesn't happen very often), but if they're going to be jerks about it, well...
    That's kind of how I feel about it . . . and I race It's more about doing my own ride.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

Every once in a while I'll be stopped at a red light or stop sign on the way home and someone - usually male, but not always - will push past me and plonk their bike down right in front of me. Because of course they're going to be faster than some plump grey-haired lady.
    Trouble is, they frequently aren't. And I have to find a way to pass them in traffic. Luckily, traffic on my present commuting route isn't heavy, but if they're going to get huffy about it, I remind myself that they asked for it. Same as the people who push off the wall at the same time as me in the pool and "race" me... and then shoot me filthy looks for the rest of the swim session because I had the audacity to swim faster than them and then keep going for 10 more lengths while they gasped for breath at the wall after two.
    Moral of the story: never race anyone that your ego can't bear to lose to.
    Queen of the sea beasts

I've told this story before, but I once passed 3 guys on road bikes, and one of them said to the others, "you gonna let that girl pass you?" The other guys said "yup," then they all laughed. It was pretty funny.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.