Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recumbent Bikes

Recumbent Bikes

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have had two pretty serious accidents on my hybrid bike. One was because of sheer stupidity, the second one I don't know what happened.

I was in a group ride both times. I just think maybe I shouldn't ride with a group as well.

I don't know if i want to give up riding altogether. Does anyone here ride a Recumbent Bike? Can you tell me anything about them? I think they would be safer because they have three wheels and are closer to the ground.

I have a new road bike at the LBS. I bought before the accident but hadn't gone to pick it up. I can buy a recumbent for nearly the same price. The LBS will let me trade it for the recumbent.

I have a recumbent trike. It does not handle as well and it's a ***** on climbing. I'm not sure how long or far you ride; that would make a difference. If you're talking about tooling around the neighborhood, a trike is great fun, but for long rides, it's just so very slow. I'm fortunate that for "real" rides I ride a tandem with my husband.
    That being said, if you are really strong you can make decent time on a trike. Several people ride them on AIDS Lifecycle, which is a seven day ride from SF to CA. But they tend to get out earlier and might not take as long at rest stops.
    If you are a serious rider, you would want to get a good one. Possibly Greenspeed or one of the better Terra trikes.
    They are incredibly comfortable-- no saddle sores or shoulder issues, which is another good thing about them.
    Two-wheel recumbents can be as fast as a regular bike, but it sounds like you are talking about a trike.

Three-wheeled things do not corner as well as two-wheeled things. Visibility in traffic may also be an issue, since they're lower.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I have several friend in CA who have trikes and love them. Some of them just did the MS ride(metric) in Long Beach.
    They do have the repuatation for being slower, but some folks are able to keep up with DF's and two wheel recumbents.
    You may also want to look at Catrike - they're another good brand.

Not all recumbents are three-wheeled and unfit for distances. I'm planning on taking my two-wheeled recumbent across the western US this summer, even though it (and I ) are on the heavy side.

As for the trikes (or any bike, upright, recumbent, whatever), the standard advice is to go and try some out. You'll never know if a bike is for you until your backside is in the seat and your feet are spinning the pedals. Yes, trikes tend to be lower than upright bikes, but there are flags out there if you are concerned about that.

Go try some different trikes out. At least you'll have an informed opinion afterward.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

some one else has a similar thought!

I'm still riding my 2 wheel bikes. I too have had several major crashes and have started on a tadpole setup 3 wheel recumbent bike. Lot shorter distance to the ground for your head, hard to tip over.

I say "started" is because I've decided to go with a velomobile. Fully enclosed fairing trikes. Cost of velo's are really expensive. Some are around $12,000 or more. Problem of buying in Europe and having it shipped plus hangup with customs. Is it a bicycle? or what?? I think you can buy blueveloUSA.

So I'm designing and building my own.

Design goal:
    full suspension
    150-250W electric motor assist with regenerative braking
    spend extra for LiFePO4 (Lithium phosphate rechargeable) min 20Ahour
    full canopy over my head so I can stay dry in wet northwest weather
    cargo space to carry 2 bags of grocery plus bit extra
    fit in my prius!!

The electric assist is for hill climbing. There was a chart on energy required to travel at some speed 30Km/hr, around 20MPH. Standard bicycle requires around 270W, deep aero position drops this to 217W and mango velo only requires 78W of power. Average rider is only putting out 100W to 150W. Having a 150W motor is like having a stoker on a tandem without the weight of a second person. You don't need 400W or 500W motor. Smaller lighter motor, smaller battery.

Oh I do have an graduate degree in engineering, electronics so motor and motor controller, battery is not a big thing for me. Big thing for me is learning about vehicle dynamics, aerodynamics, BUILDING the thing.

I've been learning a lot about vehicle dynamics and composite fabrication. and

Recumbents come in many styles, just like DiamondFrames (DFs).
    I have a "race" bike, called a highracer that would not be good for what you want - 2 wheels, high off the ground...
    I have a commuter that has a smaller front wheel, allowing me to sit more upright.
    I just sold my trike. I loved it, and it could get going well. The negatives are that it will be somewhat slower, they are lower to the ground so possibly not as visible, and they are marginally wider than a bike but perceived to be much wider by people. They are also expensive. If I had the money and was about to buy one, I'd get a Greenspeed Anura.
    I have a velomobile.

But, all of these have different riding characteristics than DFs, so can be hardish to ride in groups. It also depends on the group mentality - my local bike club is wonderful, and only rolls their eyes at me behind my back . seriously, though, you can get around DF riders that are worse than the worst bike-hating SUV drivers about bents. Or not, it just depends.

I highly recommend heading on over to BROL and hanging out for a wee bit.
    http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/index.php?
    My photoblog
    http://dragons-fly-peacefully.blogspot.com/
    Bacchetta Giro (recumbent commuter)
    Bacchetta Corsa (recumbent "fast" bike)
    Greespeed X3 (recumbent "just for fun" trike)
    Strada Velomobile
    I will never buy another bike!

Quote Originally Posted by smilingcat View Post
    sather

Oh I do have an graduate degree in engineering, electronics so motor and motor controller, battery is not a big thing for me. Big thing for me is learning about vehicle dynamics, aerodynamics, BUILDING the thing.

I've been learning a lot about vehicle dynamics and composite fabrication. and
    I hope you, too, are hanging out on BROL.

Troutdale, Or? If so, you have a very active HPV group. Check out OHPV and get to know some of those guys. Terrific people.
    http://www.ohpv.org/
    My photoblog
    http://dragons-fly-peacefully.blogspot.com/
    Bacchetta Giro (recumbent commuter)
    Bacchetta Corsa (recumbent "fast" bike)
    Greespeed X3 (recumbent "just for fun" trike)
    Strada Velomobile
    I will never buy another bike!

Here's hoping you are feeling better after your accidents. My DH recently switched back to a DF after several years on the recumbent. While he found it more comfortable, it wasn't as maneuverable as he would have liked. His cousin and her husband have CatTrikes and love them and even pull their dogs in a trailer behind them. They even belong to a group that is primarily of trikes. I've tried her bike and it was nice but I prefer being able to see from the DF type. Yesterday, I was particularly happy about being on a DF as I passed near a snake. I like that higher level when near snakes and dogs. Now, if the squirrels would quit stopping right in front of me, I'd be all set.

Not sure what I was thinking. I was looking at the two-wheel things and thinking they all had three wheels. What is everyone's opinion on two wheel recumbents? I know I would rather have two wheels than a trike.

We went to the doctor today. He says the ribs are pretty much healed, but I have to see the orthopedic surgeon for my shoulder and clavicle bones. It's hard for me to believe there are any injuries there because nothing hurts except the lower left front quadrant of my ribs.

Anyway, after the dr we went over the the LBS which is holding my Ruby until I can come in and get fitted. Seeing the bike again, made me feel great and thinking a little bit about riding again. I am just so scared. I am scared the bike not be right me for me, bike not fit, bike might to be hard to pedal, -- you know just about anything I can think of to stay off it. LOL (I did test ride -- before the crash -- but I am not even sure i did that right.) So I keep thinking about a recumbent!!!

Well, I'l get started,
    Two wheeler are usually faster than trikes, But you can climb in any hill on a trike without having to worry about tipping over.
    as several have alluded to, recumbents come in a much wider variety of "flavors" than DFs, so it may best to find a specialty shop. Here is one in MN:
    http://www.calhouncycle.com/
    Generally speaking, they will let you test riding to your heart's content, which is the best way of picking
    I never have got the vibe of BROl/Bentrider. I am regular on the Bacchetta Forums.
    If you're concerened with being low on tadpole trike (2 wheels in front), you want to test an ICE. They're not quite as low

Fredwina,
    I LOVE YOUR BLOG!

Kajero,

You said you were in a group for both falls. If so- can others tell you what happened?

Was it a lack of paying attention? Did you hit another person's wheel or something in the road?

If it is a case of being a new cyclist and making handling mistakes- then this is just something you need to practice on, because whether you are on a hybrid, road bike or a recumbent- you will need to understand and have a grasp on the skills for group riding.

See if someone can fill you/us in on how the crashes occurred.

The first accident was sheer stupidity on my part. I tried to take a photo while riding the bike. I don't know what even made me think I could do that. I get off the bike drink water.

I am not sure what happened on the second ride. I was about fourth of 14 and apparently I collided with a walker. (That's what I was told). I am not sure how it happened because we ride fairly close together and I know wasn't passing anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by kajero View Post
    Fredwina,
    I LOVE YOUR BLOG!
    aw. geezz
    what ehirsch83 said is true, you do need to be confident in a group, regardless of whether you have two wheels or three.