Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I definitiely agree with others, that you should ALWAYS shop for your mechanic/sales person vs the shop. I will also say that I feel horrible that you are having these issues as well!!

As a shop owner and someone who has been in the bike industry for 20 years, I've seen a lot of things happen over the years as I'm sure many of you have. Some for the better, some not... but I keep reminding myself that every industry has these same issues. With that, I hope that most people( including shop owners) pay attention and take care of their customers.

I did however want to make a couple of comments about your problem(s). I would defintiely recommend that you contact Trek directly and immediately! I can only imagine that a company such as theirs doesn't want people unhappy with their product and would want to find out from the shop exactly what happened and why. So please do that. They can also recommend another shop for you to take the bike to. If Trek should have any questions, then the second shop would likely be the one that would be contacted. And if parts should need to be replaced, then they could be sent to this shop as well.

AS for your crank coming loose and the rim tape, there are two scenerios in this case. First, most bikes are assembled from the manufacturer, and although shops finish the assembling process... there were actually two different phases to your build... namely Trek and your shop. Both of course, should have noticed the problem.

And lastly, for those of you that have had issues with cranks coming loose, I want to send something else for you to consider. If a crank has come loose a couple of times, or has been coming loose for a period of time, it can also cause issues with the bottom bracket. What I mean by that is that as the crank is loose, it can move back and forth on the axle of the bottom bracket. Even if the wear appears very small on the axle, it can cause HUGE problems. What that essentially means is that no matter how tight someone tightens the crank, it will always come loose! The tolerance of fit with the crank and bottom bracket axle are very minimal. So, for those of you that have mentioned that your shop would 'show' you how to tighten this periodically... well it can likely mean that you have the above problem. PLEASE have another shop/mechanic check this for you immediately!!! When your crank is allowed to move on the bottom bracket axle, it not only wears the axle but it also wears the crank... a new bottom bracket alone will NOT solve the problem.

AS for torquing, everything on a bike whether carbon or aluminum should be torqued and to the right specifications for that piece/brand... stems, cranks all have different specs for that. So another a great reason to have another shop check it... ask them also to write down anything that they should find out of sorts... this will be more information for TRek.

Lastly, I know I and others have said this, PLEASE have another shop check this bike immediately for your safety and piece of mind. Good luck with everything!!!
    Last edited by ridebikeme; 04-27-2012 at 04:50 AM.

WOW and THANK YOU for all of that great information!! I'm printing out your post so I can have it with my files.

I will contact Trek and ask them for a shop recommendation. I was going to take the bike to Phoenix (120 miles away) because that is the closest Trek custom design shop. But if I can stay in Tucson, that is good too.

Just one questions - so you are saying that rim tape that is not abutted is NOT a good thing? I ask because Tucson is heating up, so tire pressures will go up and I'm not keen on changing a flat in 100 degree temps.

Thanks again. I wish your shop wasn't across the US, I'd bring my bike to you! (Although, Maine is nice this time of year...)
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

There's no way to know whether a fastener has been overtorqued (unless there's visible damage). So have your wrench check the carbon as well as the fasteners.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    There's no way to know whether a fastener has been overtorqued (unless there's visible damage). So have your wrench check the carbon as well as the fasteners.
    How do they check the carbon?

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Dogmama,

Rim tape generally does cover the entire rim, although I have seen some companies that are a bit too short. That generally does not cause problems unless there's a hole from a spoke that is uncovered or a rough spot on the rim.( tht doesn't happen all that often) But generally, the rim tape does cover the entire rim.

Good luck with everything, definitely keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmama View Post
    How do they check the carbon?
    This isn't something I know much about, but if it was my frame I'd want it inspected the same as they might after a crash, except focused on the clamped and bolted areas. Careful visual inspection plus I think they might tap it to check for changes in the sound.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I'm confused too. When I initially brought the bike in, that's what the guy told me. When I went back & asked pointedly about what happened, he danced around the cotter pin story... thought he was trying to avoid a potential lawsuit for negligence. Maybe he doesn't know what he's talking about. BTW, he is the "shop manager."...
    I suspect he doesn't know what he's talking about if he called it a "cotter pin".
    This is what a cycling related cotter pin was (I'm old enough to remember tapping them out with a mallet to take my crankset off):
    http://sheldonbrown.com/cotters.html
    Don't get any more work done at this shop. Period. And by all means let Trek know about it.
    Queen of the sea beasts

Contacting Trek

Going on their website, I kept seeing that email was requested as means to contact. Thought it would be a good idea since I would have record of contact. I sent them the chronology of the bike since I picked it up. Now thinking that I should call them also. I've had things just disappear into cyberspace too many times.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Got a reply - sort of

Well, I sent the email to the address they provide and got a response that they are going to have the warranty department contact me.

I'll let you all know.

Thanks for talking me off the roof!

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

That's a good sign. Warranty department is THE place for anything that might be damaged. They have the authority to replace parts etc. Plus they have the equipment to assess it as well. They know what cracks etc look like.

Normally it's rare to talk to warranty, even the stores. They have to talk to customer service usually.

What is this part??

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Stoker View Post
    That's a good sign. Warranty department is THE place for anything that might be damaged. They have the authority to replace parts etc. Plus they have the equipment to assess it as well. They know what cracks etc look like.

Normally it's rare to talk to warranty, even the stores. They have to talk to customer service usually.
    THANKS! Feeling better already!

Took it out & everything seems OK right now. Except there is a big orange ring between the crank & the frame - sort of a spacer or a ...??? It really clashes with my deep purple/forest green frame .

Any ideas what this is?

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Except there is a big orange ring between the crank & the frame - sort of a spacer or a ...??? It really clashes with my deep purple/forest green frame .

Any ideas what this is?
    Can you post a picture?
    Laura

I tried to get a picture but can't get a clear one. It's too dark down there & the contrast doesn't show.

Still waiting for Trek to get back to me...crickets chirping...

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

If you don't hear back shortly,you could post something on their Facebook page. I see lots of posts on there from people who have emailed, but not heard back. They seem to get pretty quick responses.
    Just put the date you sent the email, and which dept you sent to, etc and say you have not heard back yet.
    Good luck!

Thanks! I'll do that!

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid