Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Tips for a 24 hour bike ride

Hubby and I are planning to ride a Fleche on our new tandem. It is a team randonneuring event where you ride about 225 miles in 24 hours and have to stop a checkpoints on a schedule. It seems kind of crazy, but we want to do it. The only thing I am REALLY worried about is sitting on the tandem stoker saddle for 24 hours in the same bike shorts. I could see that becoming really uncomfortable, to say the least. Should I reapply chamois cream every few hours? Anybody have any thoughts on this?
    Karen

2009 Cannondale Quick 4 Hybrid
    2010 Periwinkle Trek Madone 4.7 WSD, Bontrager Affinity 2 WSD Saddle
    2012 Co-Motion "Speedster" Tandem with Lady Selle Italia Saddle and thud-buster

lesko.tumblr.com

Not that I've ever done anything remotely close to that, but are you allowed "special needs" at your checkpoints (food/nutrition, water bottles, medications, Body Glide/chamois cream, etc.)? You could stash a couple of clean pairs of shorts and baby wipes. It would only add a minute or so to a bathroom break.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

On the fleche I did, two of the guys carried fresh shorts/tights with them. I've never been so jealous in all my life.
    I've done a number of 24-hour events - some with the opportunity to change, some without. While it's amazingly nice, it's also okay to do it in one pair, as long as you've tested them and know the chamois is up for the challenge. Do at least a century in a pair to make sure they'll hold up. I don't normally use chamois creams, but will for anything over 200k.
    The one fleche I did was a blast. It was very flat (I almost think it was downhill) so we were actually stalling for time. Killing time at the Waffle House.
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

My DH just finished a 400K brevet- and wore the same shorts for 19 hours. Minimal chamois in them, and no chamois cream -no complaints. However - he has an iron b*tt as far as I can tell. The furthest I've gone is 200K in one pair with no chamois cream and no problems.

Good luck...
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Thank you very much! We are thinking of bringing one pair of clean shorts and a guy we ride with recommended bag balm instead of regular chamois cream.
    Karen

2009 Cannondale Quick 4 Hybrid
    2010 Periwinkle Trek Madone 4.7 WSD, Bontrager Affinity 2 WSD Saddle
    2012 Co-Motion "Speedster" Tandem with Lady Selle Italia Saddle and thud-buster

lesko.tumblr.com

My husband has done two fleches, a bundle of 400s and 600s, 1000s, and 1200s (and I'm stinkin' proud of him because he did PBP last year and had so much fun!). He always brings a change of shorts if the ride is 400 or longer. He probably brings two on the 1000+ rides.

The randos around here swear by Lantaseptic.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks