Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

G-Form knee and elbow pads

To disable ads, please log-in.

For really rocky/unfamiliar trails I ride with hard Fox knee-shin guards; they make me look like the AM/downhill type but I am more confident in those conditions knowing I have them on. I also use 661 EVO elbow pads. Yea I've crashed in this combo and came away with only bruised ribs. Ok, the combo works (at least on the knees and elbows) but it's a bit much for the typical local trails.

For local trails (not too rocky but could wash out in sand) I ordered some G-Form knee and elbow pads last year and really like them. They have a wide range of sizes; I suggest anyone who orders them really measure your legs and arms. I fell between sizes and ordered the larger and boy am I glad I did as they run tight. The material is stretchy, but not very, so measuring accurately is very important. The G-Forms are really light weight and once on, I hardly feel them as they don't restrict motion at all. They pull on, so you have to remember to put the knee guards on before you put on your shoes. I don't think local stores will get G-Forms as they sell direct online. So I took a chance with them and am very pleased. I only wish they had a knee-shin pad as the material on the knee pads goes half way down my legs and I know their shin guards will overlap and that will make them too hot. So I did not order the shin guards but probably will anyway at some point; I just might attempt to attach them to the knee guards and remove the overlapping material...

They come in day glow yellow and black, but the black seems to never be in stock. As for the screaming yellow, it's really not bad; I actually warmed up to them.

So if you are looking for elbow and knee pads but don't want to look like a world cup downhiller the G-Forms are a viable alternative to hard pads.
    Tzvia- rollin' slow...
    Specialized Ruby Expert/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Specialized SWorks Safire/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Giant Anthem-W XT-XTR/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Fuji Newest 3 commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Novara E.T.A commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL

Tzvia, how are you liking your G-form pads, now that you've had them awhile? I'm thinking that it's time that I start wearing pads, at least for certain rides.

Thanks for bumping this thread up Becky. Considering my propensity for crashing, I should at least have knee/shin guards on to protect my bad knee. I've considered the G-Forms and your information is helpful. I've one knee cap that likes to move around so have to be careful when I put something on it meant to be tight fitting. How snug is it over your kneecap?

I've had many knee surgeries and used the Fox Launch Knee/Shin pads. They are great for the most part, on really long days with a lot of pedaling I did get some chafing from the strap behind the knee. They are articulated and would not compress your patella. They adjust with straps so do not have to be pulled on.

Having said that, I will be getting the G forms for less intense MTB rides.

Quote Originally Posted by e3rdpower View Post
    I've had many knee surgeries and used the Fox Launch Knee/Shin pads. They are great for the most part, on really long days with a lot of pedaling I did get some chafing from the strap behind the knee. They are articulated and would not compress your patella. They adjust with straps so do not have to be pulled on.

Having said that, I will be getting the G forms for less intense MTB rides.
    If you think the G forms will work for you after your surgeries, then it would likely work for me. I did have one knee flare this spring when I crashed "up hill" and drove my patella into the ground - it wasn't happy with me for awhile after that...but the trails I ride and my skill level would likely make the Fox Launch overkill for me. Thanks for the post!

This is good info. Anyone have any suggestions for something soft shell and low profile (readily stashed in a Camelbak) that uses straps, rather than pulling on? Or will that just lead to increased chafing? I'm overwhelmed with the number of choices out there!

On a related note, DH thinks I'm being silly by shopping for knee pads and doesn't think they'll give me any more confidence with my skills work (I'm paraphrasing and interpreting here- he didn't actually say those words!). Can anyone share their firsthand experience? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post

On a related note, DH thinks I'm being silly by shopping for knee pads and doesn't think they'll give me any more confidence with my skills work (I'm paraphrasing and interpreting here- he didn't actually say those words!). Can anyone share their firsthand experience? Thanks!
    I've a pair of Lizard Skins that I no longer wear because they are just too long for my shins. I did, however, have more confidence when wearing them because I knew they would help protect me from both pedal slap and other things if I crashed. Do what makes you feel more confident

.. thinks I'm being silly by shopping for knee pads and doesn't think they'll give me any more confidence with my skills work (I'm paraphrasing and interpreting here- he didn't actually say those words!). Can anyone share their firsthand experience? Thanks!
    I absolutely have more confidence when wearing pads. Knowing the chances of getting hurt are minimized is very freeing, IMO. The expense would be offset by one doctor visit, or even a trip to the drugstore to get wound care supplies.

When I parachute into rocky areas, I wear hard knee/shin guards with straps that velcro around my leg. I broke my tibia/fibula in June - and the hard guards were perfect for splinting my injury! (I know, that doesn't lead to the confidence you were talking about, but I've got to tell you, while I being moved around to get me to the hospital, I sure was happy that I had such a good splint!) So, while not bicycling related -- write it up to there are lots of good reasons to have pads!

G-Form knee and elbow pads

This is good info. Anyone have any suggestions for something soft shell and low profile (readily stashed in a Camelbak) that uses straps, rather than pulling on? Or will that just lead to increased chafing? I'm overwhelmed with the number of choices out there!

Your DH is being silly. Certainly pads can helps with confidence while building skills. The penalty for failure can be so much less, whether it's hitting some gravel, grazing off a tree trunk, or sliding off a rocks. Whenever I work beginners on anything remotely technical, I always offer them knee and elbow pads. When I am working on high level skills (I'm an advanced rider), I put my pads on. Nothing like blowing one move and sliding off whatever, instead of tearing your skin off in the the process.

There's definitely an attitude that only downhillers wear pads which is unfortunate. It's also an American thing, cross country riders don't wear pads. Whenever I go to Canada to ride or to coach, everyone wears pads,it's just a given. And really I have to underscore how much it can make a difference.

I cant make any suggestions- mine are older 661s.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Thanks for the feedback. He is generally very supportive of me and my riding, so I'm willing to chalk this up to a "Mars vs. Venus" thought process.

I intend to buy something once I get out of the "paralysis by analysis" loop that I'm currently stuck in. Currently, I'm looking at the G-forms, some Troy Lee pads, and some discontinued Rockgardn pads. There is simply no local store that stocks this kind of stuff, so I'm forced to order online and hope for the best.