Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

(((((GLC)))))

+1 on asking for a different pain med. People can have very different reactions to meds that are closely related chemically.

But also, I've read that the pain-relieving qualities of opioids are overrated just because of their ability to also improve people's mood and make them better able to deal with pain. Honestly, after my wreck last year, Aleve helped me more than the Vicodin 7.5 they prescribed. I don't know if you're allowed any NSAIDS, but don't dismiss them just because they're OTC.

Hang in there.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I spoke to the hospital on the follow up call and asked about taking other pain meds (OTC) and she approved tylenol only...but to keep track of how much I was taking. She said that I'd have to speak to my doc before taking anything else.

Then, when my doc called, I asked him. He said Tylenol was fine, but he also approved Ibuprofen. I've been alternating between the two every 5-6 hours now and it helps.

I have a pretty high pain threshold, so just taking the edge off it with these two OTC drugs helps enough. And it's a little better every day, too.

Today I need to get my rear end downtown so that I can pass my Shamrock run registration to a friend. This should be an interesting adventure! After two days of lying here, it'll feel good to get out, I suppose.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

After my knee surgery last summer, I turned in most of an unused Rx for Oxycodon at my local police department for disposal, street value of $2500 according to the Sargent who met me at the door. Oxy make me sicker than any puppy should be. Remember asking Friendly Sargent how anyone gets hooked on it - all he said was that people do, dispite it making them ill.

I wound up switching between tylenol and ibuprofen too, and using an icebag after fun time in the "knee machine".

Hope you get to feeling better, an are more mobile soon GLC!
    Beth

You poor thing, so pleased the op has gone well and you appear to be coping extremely well.

Hope you don't mind me going off Topic briefly but after reading this thread, it just shows what a gutsy crowd of people we are, perhaps it's because we ride, or because we are females?

My friend has been in a similar situation since 28th Dec and is doing well and she has been using her exercise bike, somehow managing not putting any weight on her bad foot. Reckon she has got massive muscles in her left leg though!!!

Carry on repairing well.
    Clock

Orange Clockwork - Limited Edition 1998

‘Enjoy your victories of each day'

My bil is an orthopedic surgeon, he now suggests taking tylenol and ibuprofen together. Depending on my pain, I take 200 mg of each. Sometimes I take 800 mg at a time ( I am one who can't tolerate narcotics either) It does seem to last longer than taking just one or the other.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Not much more I can add than what everyone else has said. I also do not handle meds. To help with the nausea, I eat as much fresh ginger as I can. Dice up ginger in to really small pieces and add it to oil and vinegar salad dressing. or eat it plain, in thin slices. Or make a fresh brewed tea with ginger and touch of honey to cut the hot taste.

There is also a light Chinese chicken dish with ginger. It's very light and refreshing.

Ginger is one of the herbal remedy for nausea. It does help a lot!! Has to be fresh ginger though.

Eat well, heal faster.

Glad you're doing well. The ibuprofen helps with swelling, so keep taking it along with the Tylenol. Be careful though, it may upset your stomach after a few days.

Good luck healing. You'll be back on your bike and out in the barn in no time.
    2011 Specialized Ruby Comp
    2015 Giant Liv Tempt 3