Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: GPS Apps

Hybrid View

GPS Apps

Hello all,

I just got an iPhone, and I was wondering what apps people would suggest for mapping my rides. I'm looking for an app that would allow me to map the route of my ride beforehand, then it would tell me where I am on the route and give directions on how to stay on course. I often find myself lost out on country roads with just my handwritten directions, phoning a friend when I couldn't find my way back on track. I don't have a big data plan so another concern would be that it strictly uses GPS.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

I really like RunKeeper. I have a couple, but I liked that one enough to pay for it, I only pay for apps I like.
    It does have a webpage where you can plot courses, etc.
    My photoblog
    http://dragons-fly-peacefully.blogspot.com/
    Bacchetta Giro (recumbent commuter)
    Bacchetta Corsa (recumbent "fast" bike)
    Greespeed X3 (recumbent "just for fun" trike)
    Strada Velomobile
    I will never buy another bike!

Thanks for the suggestion. Just curious, what are the others that you have for cycling? I've been thinking about getting a maintenance app for emergency fixes (I ride alone most of the time). I've also heard a little about ANT+, any thoughts on that?

I also just use runkeeper.

As far as emergency maintenance, anything I've ever needed (which isn't a lot) has been pretty easily located on youtube.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

I downloaded the Garmin Fit app, but I think it kinda sucks. It uses cell phone signals (in addition to gps, I think) to determine where you are, and the signals bounce off different towers. If I look at a map of my run, it shows me zigzagging all over the place! Which also means that it a) thinks I've gone farther than I have an which therefore b) puts my average pace much faster than I'm really running. I suspect that it might work better on a bike ride, when one is moving more quickly, but I have a Garmin 800 for that. I've run with the 800 tucked in my pocket and gotten much better results.

But, today I got a new toy. The Garmin Forerunner 910XT. Just released! Will go home tonight to figure out how to use it.
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

iMapMyRide does a great job, but they all depend on cell signal to download your maps. If you have enough memory in your phone, I *think* the $50 dedicated Garmin app stores the maps on your phone, but I'm not sure of that. In any case, any time you have your GPS turned on, you can just watch the battery go down, so don't even try it without an accessory battery or a solar charger.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler