Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Nutrition Advice for someone with food allergies.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Need advice for keeping energy up on 30+ mile bike rides. I have a sugar and dairy allergy/sensitivity. In the past I have eaten what the ride supplies and they often contain sugar. I need something to replace energy and electrolytes, but stuff like granola bars with sugar and sugary drinks make me feel worse than before eating them I feel more tired and and top of that have an upset stomach. I am doing Chilly Hilly in about a month.mit is 33 miles and has lots of hills. I have been riding as much as I can over the Winter, but weather has prevented me from getting out for three weeks. To get to the point I and many of the riders on this event will not be in the best of shape and I am looking for ways to keep my energy up. I am thinking abut making my own granola bars with peanut butter and maple syrup and would like to use an enhancer in my water. I will probably get hammer nutrition products for the water.

Question is how much and when? Obviously I will eat before the ride. How often should I eat and use the hammer nutrition products and which ones do you recommend, Endurolutes? Gel?
    Last edited by Realgone; 01-28-2012 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Subscribe

Can you tolerate fruit and/or vegetables? If so, why not eat a banana during the ride. Roasted potato wedges with a bit of salt can be good, too. Nuts and dried fruit would also work.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

What is the allergy that keeps you from eating sugar? Is it a corn allergy to HFCS, a stomach issue, or a blood sugar issue?

Personally I have a corn allergy but since exertion suppresses my immune system enough that my allergies are much less severe during a ride or run, that's not so much of an issue. What is an issue for me is that I can't tolerate much fructose of any kind during a workout. A banana is just as bad for my digestive system as premix Gatorade. Potato sounds tasty, but I'm not so sure about carrying potatoes around in my jersey pockets for four or five hours.

I use HEED on rides and Hammer Gel on runs - Hammer Perpetuem on efforts longer than three hours, when I need some protein - and like them quite a bit. But even the long chain carbohydrates that Hammer uses might be an issue for you if you have blood sugar problems - that would be an issue to take up with your doctor.

I use Endurolytes to prevent cramps when it's hot and I'm sweating heavily, but that doesn't have any calories, so it's a completely different product from the carb and protein formulas. Mainly I use it for the calcium and magnesium - there really isn't enough sodium in Endurolytes by itself (my main ding on Hammer products is that they're not necessarily designed to be used singly). For a more complete non-caloric electrolyte replacement, I like Zenergize Hydrate tablets.

ETA - sorry, I'm usually better about reading the OP. Your idea for homemade granola bars sounds great. If you put some salt in your granola bars, then IMO on a cool weather ride of 33 miles you shouldn't need additional electrolytes. If you think you will need more calcium and magnesium, though, you might think about either Endurolytes pills or a dissolvable tablet, or a powder like KAL Crystal Cal-Mag, over Endurolytes powder, which has a kind of bitter metallic flavor. I use it for my long runs and I can deal with it when it's 85° and I'm sweating a couple of liters an hour, but it's not the most pleasant taste in the world.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 01-28-2012 at 09:29 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I usually eat somthing about an hour into the ride and then every hour or so thereafter. If the ride is longer than three hours, I nibble in between formal stops, too. For a hilly ride, I would be more inclined to eat a couple of smaller snacks. I don't like climbing with a lot in my gut.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Thanks for all the replies. To reply to above, my sugar allergy/sensitivity is to cane and beet sugar. I can have fruit and maple syrup and dates are a staple for me.

I guess I did not realize electrolytes were more important in heat. I will probably just bring food. Potatoes wedges sound fantastic by the way. All good ideas above. Thanks.

Dates would work well during a ride. Have you tried Lara Bars? They are often sweetened with dates per their list of ingredients. Some of their flavors might work for you.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    Dates would work well during a ride. Have you tried Lara Bars? They are often sweetened with dates per their list of ingredients. Some of their flavors might work for you.
    I love Larabars. Most of them use fruits as their sugar source and typically have less than 5 total ingredients (and they are all real things). The other bars I typically use are the KIND bars. Those are typically dairy/gluten free and have varying amounts of sugar from a variety of sources. Both brands are low-glycemic index. I've got a gluten/dairy intolerance and have had good success with those.

I third the Lara Bar suggestion. So many of them are vegan, so that takes care of the dairy part.

Also: You Bars http://www.youbars.com/ are excellent but pricey.

I've also done a mix of goji berries and golden berries (dried) and that is a nice alternative to other high sugar quick energy things (blocks and gels). Harder to eat on the go though.
    Giant TCR C3 :: Specialized Jett 143
    Specialized FSR :: Terry Butterfly
    Vintage Giant Road Bike :: Specialized Lithia