Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Today was a good day

To disable ads, please log-in.

Our resident FIL died suddenly and unexpectedly early Tuesday morning. He has been living with us for 18 months and been as active a participant in our life as was possible for a 90 year old asthmatic, blind and hard of hearing but still mentally sharp gentleman. He even went to the gym twice a week to work with a trainer.

Needless to say this week has been fraught for both of us. Phil because it was his father, and his mother died 8 years ago, so now we have both lost both parents, me because I was the 24/7 primary caregiver. We have gotten through the bulk of the notifications, legal stuff and arrangements so now it is a bit of hurry up and wait while various wheels turn finally.

Today the SAG guy and I slept in late- for us, went to the gym and had a a good two hour work out, went out to the town center, wandered our small do dah farmers market and had lunch at our favorite Mexican restaurant while sitting out on the patio in the 70 degree, low humidity (bizarre and rare weather for January).

This sharing time together is something we used to do a lot, but haven't been able to do for the last two years or so because of fear of leaving Dad alone for too long.

I wish this day hadn't come, but I still felt very grateful that it was such a good day.

marni
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

I am sorry for your loss. I presume he died gently from the tone of this. Boy, he was still going to the gym!! amazing.
    You deserve a break!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

(((((((marni))))))) I'm so sorry for your loss.

I don't doubt your feelings are very complicated right now, so I'm really glad you were able to have a good day.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

((((Marni & SAG Guy))))

Wishing you the ability to feel what you need to feel, the ability to let yourself heal, and that time may ease your pain. From what you shared, you did an amazing amount in his last few years and months to make his life as full as possible. I'm glad you were able to have a good day - you deserve it!
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

(((hugs)))

Marni, I am so glad that today was like that.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Marni, so sorry for your loss. Glad you had a good day!
    2014 Bobbin Bramble / Brooks B67
    2008 Rodriguez Rainier Mirage / Terry Butterfly Tri Gel
    2007 Dahon Speed Pro TT / Biologic Velvet
    1998? GT Rebound / Serfas Gel

hugs to you, marni. So sorry for your loss.
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

((((Marni)))) Sorry to hear about your FIL, it sounds like he had a good run in this life, and excellent care from you in his later years. Happy you and your hubby had a good day.

Electra Townie 7D

(((marni))). I am so sorry for your loss. I'd echo Blueberry's eloquent post. Take care of you.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Marni: My condolences for your loss.

I am sorry, Marni.
    But, you did a great job of dealing with this situation. There is nothing wrong with enjoying the day with your DH. It sounds like your FIL would have liked you to be doing this.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Hugs to you both. I know he was a part of your everyday life. You took great care of him.
    2011 Specialized Ruby Comp
    2015 Giant Liv Tempt 3

It is lovely that you had a good day in a difficult time.
    Take care.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Amen and much love to both of you. We should all be so lucky in our later years to have such care as you and your husband and given his father.

Roxy
    Getting in touch with my inner try-athlete.