Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    142.0 this morning.

The Christmas cookies that my mother sent back with me are all gone, in the sense that there are no more in the kitchen because I finished the last one a couple of days ago.

However they are still here, in the sense that I can see them on the scale.

They are the best cookies ever in the history of all Christmas cookies that any mother ever baked, so I have no regrets.
    Does your Mom want to adopt me?! (:

I was 145 this morning. I am glad to be back participating in this forum. I try to eat about 1700 calories a day to lose weight slowly - if I eat any less I am starving! I have found that if I do not write down everything I eat (and use my food scale religiously) I will naturally eat 2300-2500 calories a day and my weight will drift up, even when I am exercising a lot. I average less than 30% fat and less than 7% saturated fat. I keep alcohol (wine) intake to less than 5% of total calories but only eat about 15% protein. I need to eat more protein while still keeping my fiber intake over 30 grams a day.
    Karen

2009 Cannondale Quick 4 Hybrid
    2010 Periwinkle Trek Madone 4.7 WSD, Bontrager Affinity 2 WSD Saddle
    2012 Co-Motion "Speedster" Tandem with Lady Selle Italia Saddle and thud-buster

lesko.tumblr.com

I am currently not in the weight management challenge although weight management is a huge challenge for me. I just wanted to say I have really enjoyed reading the conversation so far. I am surprised at how many people have to weigh every bit they take, it makes me believe that is were I am going wrong. I lose weight and then gain it all back because I don't think I have to count, weigh, measure anymore. I guess I need to realize it is a life time of counting calories or a life time of being fat. The chose is mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones View Post
    I am currently not in the weight management challenge although weight management is a huge challenge for me. I just wanted to say I have really enjoyed reading the conversation so far. I am surprised at how many people have to weigh every bit they take, it makes me believe that is were I am going wrong. I lose weight and then gain it all back because I don't think I have to count, weigh, measure anymore. I guess I need to realize it is a life time of counting calories or a life time of being fat. The chose is mine.
    I know one adult who is thin and does not need to watch his diet everyday in order to remain that way. He has that body type that struggles to gain weight (ectomorph? endomorph? I can never remember).

Every other adult I know who is not overweight watches his or her diet carefully. They may not measure and weigh all their food, but they make choices at every meal to make sure they're not consuming too many calories and too much unhealthy food.

(And that one naturally thin guy has to watch his diet anyway, because he has very high blood pressure.)

So I think it's a daily effort for many people, in one way or another.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I lose weight and then gain it all back because I don't think I have to count, weigh, measure anymore. I guess I need to realize it is a life time of counting calories or a life time of being fat.
    Many many people have this experience. If you haven't read this NY Times article yet, it's a good read.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/ma...-fat-trap.html
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    I know one adult who is thin and does not need to watch his diet everyday in order to remain that way. He has that body type that struggles to gain weight (ectomorph? endomorph? I can never remember).

Every other adult I know who is not overweight watches his or her diet carefully. They may not measure and weigh all their food, but they make choices at every meal to make sure they're not consuming too many calories and too much unhealthy food.

(And that one naturally thin guy has to watch his diet anyway, because he has very high blood pressure.)

So I think it's a daily effort for many people, in one way or another.
    I agree. Even in a room full of skinny runners, I noticed that most of them were monitoring what food they put on their plates even though they all just ran a bunch of miles.

And every single person I know who has lost a significant amount of weight and kept it off is very diligent about what they eat. Those that aren't (myself included) are the ones who eventually gain some back until they get back on top of it again.

Even eating paleo, I can gain weight if I'm not paying attention to my total consumption. The only thing I eat with abandon are non-starchy veggies - everything else must be monitored.

I think it's the price we pay for living in a society where food is varied and plentiful. If all we could nourish our bodies with was what we hunted or fished, we'd never have to count another calorie!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

127.4. I was sick for a week and on antibiotics so didn't work out, worked on maintaining.

Goal weight 123

After stalling through much of Dec-early Jan, looks like I'm back on track.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

I learned a lot reading about the people who are on the National Weight Control Registry. The people who are on this registry have lost at least 30 pounds and have kept it off for at least one year. A number of kept it off for years. I am hoping to join some day and provide data.

There is variety in how NWCR members keep the weight off. Most report continuing to maintain a low calorie, low fat diet and doing high levels of activity.

78% eat breakfast every day.
    75% weigh themselves at least once a week.
    62% watch less than 10 hours of TV per week.
    90% exercise, on average, about 1 hour per day.

http://www.nwcr.ws/

Here is some information they have culled out on those who regain weight:

Risk factors for weight regain included more recent weight losses (less than 2 years vs. 2 years or more), larger weight losses (greater than 30% of maximum weight vs. less than 30%), and higher levels of depression, dietary disinhibition, and binge eating levels at entry into the registry. Over the year of follow-up, gainers reported greater decreases in energy expenditure and greater increases in percentage of calories from fat. Gainers also reported greater decreases in restraint and increases in hunger, dietary disinhibition, and binge eating. This study suggests that several years of successful weight maintenance increase the probability of future weight maintenance and that weight regain is due at least in part to failure to maintain behavior changes.

I keep wondering about the fat calories because my diet is much fattier than it was before I started losing weight. I got fat eating a vegetarian diet that was pretty low fat. It is hard to know from this information if carbs also increased with the fat or was it fat alone that increased.
    Last edited by goldfinch; 01-13-2012 at 04:33 PM.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

Quote Originally Posted by goldfinch View Post
    I learned a lot reading about the people who are on the National Weight Control Registry. The people who are on this registry have lost at least 30 pounds and have kept it off for at least one year. A number of kept it off for years. I am hoping to join some day and provide data.
    Thumbs up!

BTW, the National Weight Control Registry was discussed in the NY Times article Susan linked a few posts up. It's a really interesting (albeit sobering) article, and very timely to the discussion now.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

This summed up my reaction to the NY Times article:

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/ar...untain/250748/

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Otcenas View Post
    Agreed!

I've tried that type of restrictiveness, and while it often works over a 3-4 week period, it usually just ends up making me feel resentful of everything I *do* put in my mouth. Then I rebound way off in the opposite direction. Bad news.

So, now, nothing is entirely off-limits. But there are, like nuts, definitely things that I am better served by eating only under particular circumstances (like nuts on a salad at a restaurant) or as special occasion "treats". Alcohol is a good example of that. I haven't had any since New Year's Eve and don't plan to have any until I reach my goal weight, except during just a few very specific upcoming special events and even then in moderation. Jeff and I used to toss back a few bottles of good wine a week. I like good wine (especially a nice bottle of Oregon Pinot Noir...MMmmm) but during this time period, I'm choosing to partake just a little and to savor every drop!
    HELP!!glad to read this post- since i turned 50- coinciding with more outdoor MT bike mileage- my weight is up 4 lbs.............(or 5) I have been trying to decide problem y/n? lose y/n? I am vegan with an addiction to my garden, mass quantities of veggies and berries...........my main vice being Chardonnay! yikes! Wondering if I should cut it out..............can't really afford a dietitian/coach and actually no particular training goals other than 5-8 times a year I ride Mt bike with my son (19- yes I die, but it is a blast at the time.....) I have not even really posted yet cuz i am not sure if i need to lose weight......... happy for any advice..........

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I guess I should weigh myself after not doing it since Christmas. The only mitigating factors against a noticeable tighter waistband: has been cycling (short distances) for past few weeks due to lack of snow (which is returning again in a few days) and snowshoeing in mountains in past few days.

It is often underlying vigilance/mindfulness at the very least for me, when I eat.

I have never counted calories yet - but instead in a haphazard way take notice of the fats, sugars and volume of food in my mouth. Sometimes I'm better discplined than other times.

One thing I have noticed in the past few years, is if my body/palate finds a type of healthy food enjoyable, I will want to have it regularily: lots of fruit, even a bowl of cornflakes late in the day (if there's nothing at home to "snack"), etc.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

NY Biker, I totally agree with the response article from the Atlantic.
    I am one of those people.
    I lost 25 lbs. when I was 25 years old and I never regained it, even after being pregnant; I lost the pregnancy weight in 4 months, both times. And I did this by exactly what the article described. Losing weight at a glacial pace ( a year), changing my eating habits for good, and starting to exercise regularly.
    When I started gaining again in my mid forties, I got disgusted with myself and I was bored with my exercise. That's when I started cycling and it didn't take me more than a year to get back to a reasonable weight for my size. While I didn't look as "big" as I did when I had to lose the weight the first time, because I was exercising, albeit, in a half-assed way, there is a picture of the 4 of us, about 2 years before DH started cycling and maybe 3 or 4 years before I did, that scares the crap out of both of us. We take it out as a reminder about why we have to be diligent. I will post it here if I can find it.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

NY Biker, I totally agree with the response article from the Atlantic.
    I am one of those people.
    I lost 25 lbs. when I was 25 years old and I never regained it, even after being pregnant; I lost the pregnancy weight in 4 months, both times. And I did this by exactly what the article described. Losing weight at a glacial pace ( a year), changing my eating habits for good, and starting to exercise regularly.
    Then, I started gaining again in my mid forties. I got disgusted with myself and I was bored with my exercise. That's when I started cycling and it didn't take me more than a year to get back to a reasonable weight for my size. While I didn't look as "big" as I did when I had to lose the weight the first time, because I was exercising, albeit, in a half-assed way, there is a picture of the 4 of us, about 2 years before DH started cycling and maybe 3 or 4 years before I did, that scares the crap out of both of us. We take it out as a reminder about why we have to be diligent. I will post it here if I can find it.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport