Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

January 2012 Running - Snow, stay away!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Sorry no clever title for this thread.

Started the new year out with a five-miler that began in first gear and steadily shifted into a speedy clip. DH and I went out after sunrise, it was crisp (mid-30s) but not cold, with a foggy mist.

We decided to forego our usual route that starts from our house (unrelenting rolling hills, some of which are steep) and run on a section of the W&OD which is a progressive climb [for locals, we started at Bluemont Park and ran out to Falls Church]. It's easy in comparison to the regular route, as there are only a couple discernible and not too steep or long hills. Started out going up the gentle grade, so the last half was at a decline.

Saw a beautiful deep red golden retriever taking an early morning stroll with her daddy as I was finishing.

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly

Sounds lovely, Selkie!

Went out for my second ever 5k this morning (a portion on the W&OD near Reston). I haven't run since Thanksgiving and haven't done this distance since the 5k I ran in September. It went better than I expected and mentally this race was easier than the last. No idea what my time was but it was definitely about the same as my race in September - which I made effort to train for. Yay!

I'll be settling in to "bike mode" until June when I have my 150 mile ride so running won't be a priority but I'm hoping to participate in my first triathlon next Fall which means running won't be ignored either.
    Last edited by rubysoho; 01-01-2012 at 07:57 AM.

The 5 mile race I was thinking of doing today is about to start, but I'm sitting at the computer instead. It's warm, nearly 50F, but the wind's up around 30 mph, and that wouldn't be fun at all.

This morning I did take my dog for a little run-- just a mile. It's only the second time we've tried it, and she's not sure about this yet. She keeps getting spooked by this person running there behind her. And her running style is a doggy one-- she likes to sprint, then stop to sniff/pee/whatever, then sprint again. We'll figure it out.

NOOOO, I WANT SNOW!

I mentally can't start my winter-only running program unless there's snow on the trails. Freaky warm and dry means I'm still out riding and coming home dusty yet my once a year running event is looming nearer and nearer.

Not to mention we need the snow for the fishies, etc.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

It's freaky warm here too. It was 55 yesterday and we got a 19 mile bike ride in--and weren't in long underwear! That's unheard of on New Year's Eve but I will take it. It felt great to be outside on the bike. It was a little cooler today and the wind is wicked but I ran 8 miles this afternoon. It's the longest run I've done in 3 weeks and the physical therapy and rest have paid off. The hip is feeling much better and I think I will be able to finish the marathon next week. It will take me longer than I had planned but I will finish. I asked my PT if he thought I would be able to do the marathon and he told me I would do it because I was a determined person. I responded that it might take me 7 hours to finish and his reply to that was "the majority of people I see don't walk 26 miles in a month; don't be ashamed to say you did it in 7 hours." That really puts it in perspective, doesn't it?

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Chick View Post
    I responded that it might take me 7 hours to finish and his reply to that was "the majority of people I see don't walk 26 miles in a month; don't be ashamed to say you did it in 7 hours." That really puts it in perspective, doesn't it?
    Yes indeed! I think it's just an amazing feat for anyone to finish a marathon (for me, 5 miles would feel like a marathon), so hope you can, and without too much pain. Don't worry about time at all.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Ditto Emily...completing a marathon is always an accomplishment, regardless of speed!

Today my husband and I did 5 miles together. I had very little sleep last night, so I was really dragging at first, but I did ok. He was barely hanging on for the last mile, but it was his first 5 miles ever, so he has a good excuse!

We are both hoping to put in a lot more consistent miles in 2012.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

BikeChick, so glad you'll be able to run. It looks like you'll have decent weather - sunny and not too windy - on the warm side, but OTOH that means it won't be freezing when you're waiting for the start. Plus, the humidity has been way down all week, and we've got a cool front blowing in tonight which should keep it nice and dry. Good luck!

Back to speedwork for me today, 10 x 1 minute sprints. Been a while since I ran hard, and I was feeling it in my lungs, but I ran the sprints at a consistent 6:30, so that was good.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 01-01-2012 at 04:11 PM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

BC -- Glad you are on the mend.

OK, SadieKate, snow is fine as long as it stays on the west coast.

Seven Alaris//Jett 143

BikeChick, what words of wisdom from the PT! And it's great news that it looks like you'll be good to go.

There were snowflakes in the air this morning! Just a few, and not sticking. It was the wind that sent me to the treadmill at the gym, not the snow. I stopped at 4 miles, because there were a couple people waiting for a free treadmill (I was already over the 30 min. limit). Just hope that they'll get the 2 broken treadmills fixed soon!

Since the run was cut short, I did some weights. Not my favorite thing. But I was very pleased to find that I can still do an unassisted pull-up!

So I didn't start the year with a run....I hardly ran at all end of December. I ALMOST didn't' go this AM, but it is in the 60's & sunny--perfect running weather for me. I ran 4 miles without the Garmin, no monitoring my pace, just ran. Did it in the usual time give or take a few seconds. Running is good, gives me time to really think so I set my "goals" (not resolutions). Now I just need to write them down. One of my goals is to run at least 1 run a week WITHOUT the Garmin, watch yes (I'm obsessed) but nothing to really monitor pace, just run how I feel.

Hope to be posting again tomorrow! Of course expecting much cooler temps to head our way.

K
    katluvr

Celebrated my final day of holiday vacation with a 4 miler on the hilly regular route from the homestead. Was a bit sluggish, which was ok since I ran Sunday (prefer a day off between runs, since I'm a geezer). A 90-minute swim before I set out probably zapped a big chunk of my pizza fuel reserve.

It's gotten noticeably colder since yesterday and the wind is downright icy/strong.

Back to purgatory (work) tomorrow. While the running trail at work consists of rolling hills --- with one extremely steep, heart attack climb, it's less of a grind than the running routes originating from my front door. Probably won't get out again until Wednesday or Thursday mid-morning (my "smoke break"/early lunch) -- we'll see what day is less winter-like, weather-wise.

Seven Alaris//Jett 143

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate View Post
    NOOOO, I WANT SNOW!
    I agree...was looking forward to learning how to XC ski this winter but if we continue to not get any snow, that won't be happening. We've been getting freezing rain instead lately, which is just nasty stuff.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate View Post
    NOOOO, I WANT SNOW!
    I do too, but now I'm torn. I signed up for a 50k in March (running, not skiing), which means that I will be doing 20+ milers in February. I don't mind the snow, but if this silly warm pattern continues, it will be rain. Muddy trails and hypothermic conditions make me cry.

So expect more precip any day. Let's just hope it's the frozen kind.

(P.S. I'm going to go wash my car today, which I suspect will further increase the likelihood of precipitation.)

I want snow.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport