Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Oh! The joy of "running."

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have been off the running bandwagon for a long time now. When I was first pregnant about a year and a half ago, I miscarried early on and it spooked me out of running. (It probably shouldn't have, but that's just the way it happened.) After a third early miscarriage this past March, we went to Maui for a couple of weeks and I jogged gently almost every day, it felt so good! But when we returned, I was immediately pregnant again, and did not run any more. I tried once at around 20 weeks, and the mild pains I was getting spooked me out of it again. I maintained some cycling up to about 25 weeks, when my core muscles couldn't support the bump anymore, and since then my workouts had been limited to walking about 2 km daily on my way to and from work, and a weekly session at a prenatal fitness class.

Today I am 38 weeks. I have been feeling very well and relatively fit, other than that 20-pound basketball I carry around on my stomach that sort of gets in the way of things. My doctor is supportive: "Whatever you do that helps the baby go down is great." So when the rain finally stopped in mid-afternoon, while yet another batch of baby laundry was in the machine, I fetched my running tights (which, amazingly, fit me!!), shoes, and hat, managed to find a shirt and a fleece jacket that cover my bump and out the door I was.

Calling this moment a run is be a bit of a stretch - but hey, everything in me is pretty stretched right now, so why not? I alternated walking 1m30s and jogging 30s for 20 minutes, covering just over 2 km, so really quite slow. Obviously my stride was extremely short and impact kept at a minimum to keep it comfortable, but... I was out there doing what I love to do so much. Plus, it is a beautiful late afternoon in the Pacific Northwest. So empowering!

When I came back home, I felt like I had to share this with this community. I don't know of many others who would quite understand the joy this little moment brought me.

You truly made me smile. I can imagine you out there walk/jogging with your basketball. It's a very happy image.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

What a beautiful story! Once your little one has a strong enough neck you should consider a jogging stroller to get back to it.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Grog, I am so excited that you are at 38 weeks!!! We haven't had a TE baby in a while that I can recall.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Yay! Happy feet for a happy season.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Will keep you all posted with pics when baby comes around!

We have been given a jogging stroller already, and also a trailer, although it's a double (and we're NOT having twins!). I can't wait to hook it up behind my husband, that will finally be a way to slow him down!

Grog, that is wonderful.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

I can relate to your post very well, even though my kids are 29 and 26.
    Exercise kept me sane through both pregnancies. I remember walking near the end of my pregnancy with DS 1, after I just couldn't do aerobics any more. It felt more like exercise than all the other hard stuff I had been doing.
    I can't say how many times we have both said we have both said we wished we were into cycling when the kids were young, and we would have had them in a trailer.
    And, my kids were born at 38 and 36 weeks, with no issues.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Congratulations, Grog! Best of luck to you and your basketball. I can't wait to see those pics!

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

Great story! Thank you