Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I managed to escape my local small book shop without buying anything for me - was there to buy a book for my 10-yr old nephew. Bought "Dangerous book for boys". My DS is going to hurt me The book has a variety of topics (reading) with an activity, disclaimer in front to follow all instructions carefully with an adult.
    Beth

Quote Originally Posted by bmccasland View Post
    I managed to escape my local small book shop without buying anything for me
    That takes some serious self-control!
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    That takes some serious self-control!
    I feed my addiction at the four local used book sales we have here each year. At one the books are .75 for a paperback and $1.00 for hardcover; since this is a fairly literate university town, the choices are great!

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    I feed my addiction at the four local used book sales we have here each year. At one the books are .75 for a paperback and $1.00 for hardcover; since this is a fairly literate university town, the choices are great!
    Can I move in with you and your honey? Central Indiana isn't the most literary of cities. Sadly, we don't even have a bookstore, chain or otherwise, in downtown Indy anymore. Oh, what I wouldn't do for a Powell's or the like.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by VeganBikeChick View Post
    I find that I get completely distracted these days when I'm reading, and I think a lot of the new technology has to do with it. I'll read for a bit, then feel the need to go online, or check my phone. It's actually unnerving to me that I can't sit still and focus.
    Amen Sister, lol! I'm there! My version did come with a diagnosis however

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    Can I move in with you and your honey? Central Indiana isn't the most literary of cities. Sadly, we don't even have a bookstore, chain or otherwise, in downtown Indy anymore. Oh, what I wouldn't do for a Powell's or the like.
    Come on over!

I definitely realize how lucky we are in this town. We have a vibrate arts community, a wonderful live music scene, and access to lectures and symposiums from some of the brightest minds in the world. Other than the weather, it's almost perfect.

Electra Townie 7D

Indy, make friends with your local librarian. Really. When I first moved back here, I lived in a small rural town that had little money and was full of people who didn't value anything literate. But I found support at the local library.
    And, I got all of the town gossip there, too.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Indy, make friends with your local librarian. Really. When I first moved back here, I lived in a small rural town that had little money and was full of people who didn't value anything literate. But I found support at the local library.
    And, I got all of the town gossip there, too.
    That's a very good suggestion, especially since (a) I haven't been able to make any friends in my town and (b) the library is just a few blocks away.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

My husband and I are both readers and have devoured books since early childhood. My nine year old has finally discovered the pleasure of reading as well. In the past year he has progressed from begrudgingly reading Captain Underpants and other picture books to mastering Moby ****. He and my DH were having this in depth conversation about Moby ****. I have tried several times but have never been able to get through it.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Ah, your pseudonymn.. Moby **** wasn't my thing at all.

But I loved reading for a long time. As a kid/teen I devoured the average of 1 bk. daily which is why now I'm surprised at myself not wanting to read a novel.

I even had a good buddy friend where she and I compared occasionally how much we were reading. She tended to be abit more social: even at 14 yrs. she started to express clear feminist opinions in class. This was in the mid 1970's.

I respected her for that plus her fun cartooning.
    Zoom-zoom: May your son find a pal like that...equally introverted but lots of fun.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    The only reason DS #1 got in trouble at at school was for skipping gym and going to the library to read
    I used to get in trouble in English class (or whatever it was called in elementary/junior high). We would read out loud and take turns going around the room, and the other kids read so slow - I would have a normal sized novel tucked inside my school literature book and try to hold it so the teacher couldn't see and I could read what I wanted at my own pace. But 8-year-olds aren't as sneaky as they think. I'm pretty sure now that the teacher always knew and only rarely scolded me.

I think as Oak was saying, the digitial use of the written word exposes gradients of literacy. Even for those who are very well-spoken, I notice lots of written errors that bookworms are less likely to make, such as the your/you're, they're/their/there, and (sorry to rehash) apostrophes to pluralize or even change verb tense ("she run's to the store"). Kids who read voraciously at younger ages seem to internalize those rules.

Sorry if this was brought up, didn't quite make it through all of the comments...and now I'm going to go back into my hole until the weekend. Already worked 40+ hours the last 3 days and now I'm getting sick (again).

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Quote Originally Posted by jessmarimba View Post
    I used to get in trouble in English class (or whatever it was called in elementary/junior high). We would read out loud and take turns going around the room, and the other kids read so slow - I would have a normal sized novel tucked inside my school literature book and try to hold it so the teacher couldn't see and I could read what I wanted at my own pace. But 8-year-olds aren't as sneaky as they think. I'm pretty sure now that the teacher always knew and only rarely scolded me.

I think as Oak was saying, the digitial use of the written word exposes gradients of literacy. Even for those who are very well-spoken, I notice lots of written errors that bookworms are less likely to make, such as the your/you're, they're/their/there, and (sorry to rehash) apostrophes to pluralize or even change verb tense ("she run's to the store"). Kids who read voraciously at younger ages seem to internalize those rules.
    Even in an advanced English class in sixth grade, we had to read books out loud, and everyone was so slow. I'd read ahead, then get in trouble because I wasn't on the same page as everyone else. I think the teacher just assumed that I wasn't paying attention, and I wasn't self-confident enough to say "Actually, I finished the book" or something.
    I definitely agree with internalizing rules of grammar (and spelling). I had those down in elementary school. Of course, now that I'm not reading so much, I've gotten much worse. How much of that is the lack of reading and how much is the lack of formal writing, I don't know.

Feel better!
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    I definitely agree with internalizing rules of grammar (and spelling). I had those down in elementary school. Of course, now that I'm not reading so much, I've gotten much worse. How much of that is the lack of reading and how much is the lack of formal writing, I don't know.
    This is fascinating. I've been thinking there must be some kind of practice/repetition aspect to rules of grammar/good spelling -- like you, I was a voracious reader as a kid and internalized a lot prior to formally studying grammar, and spelling always came easy.

However, I've noticed a couple of time that following a stint abroad where I am immersed in a foreign language, that I will make mistakes, while writing or keyboarding -- things like the wrong version of a homonym or an apostrophe in the wrong place -- they just flow out, but I always catch them quickly.

As for reading, I've rediscovered my love of leisure reading during my time of unemployment. I would go nuts right now if all my reading were work-related.
    2014 Bobbin Bramble / Brooks B67
    2008 Rodriguez Rainier Mirage / Terry Butterfly Tri Gel
    2007 Dahon Speed Pro TT / Biologic Velvet
    1998? GT Rebound / Serfas Gel

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    This is fascinating. I've been thinking there must be some kind of practice/repetition aspect to rules of grammar/good spelling -- like you, I was a voracious reader as a kid and internalized a lot prior to formally studying grammar, and spelling always came easy.
    I was always a good speller until the past few years. I've just become more careless in proofreading. Not good.

I believed for a long time that my good spelling tendencies was because of reading alot. This is an excellent reason why we should continue to pay attention to our word spelling and correct grammar: it does model other people's abilities to spell accurately long term.

I also feel that taking Latin in high school for few years, enhanced my spelling abilities since it demonstrates the origins of some English words.

Reading on my own heavily during primary school years, was to help ramp up my English language skills which I learned only after kindergarten even though I was born in Canada.

I was reading adult books from age 9 onward. Of course that was interspersed with books meant for teens.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I make it a rule to never proofread my own stuff ... a fresh set of eyes is always best, if you can build a good rapport with another co-worker who also has good grammar and spelling skills.
    2014 Bobbin Bramble / Brooks B67
    2008 Rodriguez Rainier Mirage / Terry Butterfly Tri Gel
    2007 Dahon Speed Pro TT / Biologic Velvet
    1998? GT Rebound / Serfas Gel