Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Angry I think there's a thief around here...

To disable ads, please log-in.

This is the second package in less than a month that I've had "go missing"--ie, get stolen off the front porch. And for some reason they steal the "weird" stuff. The large Cyber Monday order of Christmas gifts (that all arrived the same day--thank you SmartPost) was left untouched. The packages containing bike shorts and tea have gone missing. Both companies have/will replace the items, thankfully. Is this person my evil twin or something? They have really good (or really bad) taste. (They haven't stolen the yarn yet.)

Now to call FedEx to ask them to hold the replacement bike shorts for pickup, and to see what I can do to get USPS to direct packages to the leasing office (if they'll do that) or at least hold them. If not, I'm considering directing everything to my parents' house.

(Is it bad that I want to leave a box full of dog turds or trash on the porch for this lovely example of humanity?)
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

We have had that happen in our neighborhood lately. Someone actually got a photo of a guy walking off with a box from her porch. What our carrier said is that if you leave a note on your box (or in your box - or on your door) saying not to leave packages, that they can hold them at the PO.

Sorry - that sucks
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    that DOES suck. Darned thieves!
    My hubs works for the USPS and he said it happens a LOT this time of year. Thieves will follow the delivery trucks and stake out houses and steal gifts. He's even spotted suspicious cars and called them into his supervisor before. Crazy! Leave a note for your carrier (USPS) and they will bring them back to the office (or they should). Makes it a bit of a pain to go to the PO to get them, but at least you know they won't be stolen.
    Dastardly thieves!!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

'Tis the season... and with it, those that prefer taking to earning get real busy. I'm sorry about your missing packages kiddo. If you have a safe place to direct shipments definitely do it. If its an option, have them sent to your office (I used to when I had a job).

spazz
    no regrets!

My ride: 2003 Specialized Allez Comp - zebra (men's 52cm), Speedplay X5 pedals, Koobi Au Enduro saddle

Spazzdog Ink Gallery
    http://www.printroom.com/pro/gratcliff

This is the one nice thing about living in an apartment. If I get packages USPS, they are locked in a box until I pick them up. UPS and FedEx are picked up from the leasing office, unless I am home at the time. My boss has all her stuff sent to work. But I think that's more of a My Husband Doesn't Need to Know than a safety issue.

I'm glad your purchases will be replaced. People are truly unbelievable.

I'm so sorry. My BFF recently discovered that their house had been burglarized after throwing change into a container in her bedroom (she's been saving for a trip to the UK next Spring) and realizing that the can was empty. She then found that several things in her home were missing...2 guns, $200 in a piggy bank belonging to her kids, and a fire safe under their bed that held documents, including birth certs., soc. sec. cards, and passports.

She is freaked out, especially because it was only a few months ago that someone tried to break in while she was home. She thinks this recent theft must have required watching for her to leave...and someone who had seen her kids grab the spare key kept near the front door, since the house was never obviously forced open.

I am very paranoid about packages on our stoop (we live in sight of an income-qualification apartment complex) and our garage full of bikes.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    I'm so sorry. My BFF recently discovered that their house had been burglarized after throwing change into a container in her bedroom (she's been saving for a trip to the UK next Spring) and realizing that the can was empty. She then found that several things in her home were missing...2 guns, $200 in a piggy bank belonging to her kids, and a fire safe under their bed that held documents, including birth certs., soc. sec. cards, and passports.

She is freaked out, especially because it was only a few months ago that someone tried to break in while she was home. She thinks this recent theft must have required watching for her to leave...and someone who had seen her kids grab the spare key kept near the front door, since the house was never obviously forced open.

I am very paranoid about packages on our stoop (we live in sight of an income-qualification apartment complex) and our garage full of bikes.
    Holy cow. Hopefully she's gotten the locks changed and everything.

Unfortunately, we don't have a central office, as such. Well, they'll take signature-required packages, and UPS will drop them off there if you ask. I don't see a way to direct FedEx to do such a thing, or USPS. I miss my old place in Cleveland--the mailboxes locked (here, they're on the ground floor and unlocked), and it was a little harder to just walk by and swipe stuff...

I think I'm just going to direct all non-urgent packages (so, non-textbooks, if I need any during the rest of the year) to my parents' house.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I get everything shipped to work for that very reason
    2005? Storck Senario cd 1.0 with SRAM Force, Specialized Romin Comp Gel 155 saddle
    1998 Lemond Tourmalet
    2007 Gary Fisher HKEK

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    Holy cow. Hopefully she's gotten the locks changed and everything.
    Yup, but now she's terrified. Her hubby is going out of town for a few days and they live in BFE...and now she doesn't have either of their handguns. The state police were at her house to dust for prints, but haven't found anything to go on, yet.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Been working for the same company for the past 9 years - in New Orleans they wouldn't allow personal deliveries to the office, here in Seattle, no problem. Go figure the different policies. Given the opportunity, I've always had things delivered at work. Shipping to a busines address is less expensive too. In N.O. I wound up having my packages sent a commercial mailbox place - I would ship from there, and for a nominal fee they'd accept delivery of packages. Seemed to solve the problem of boxes sitting out on my front porch.
    Beth

I'm so sorry! Your best best is to have packages shipped to your parents home so you don't have to stress about it.

We actually befriended our UPS guy and he leaves packages for us either in the back of the house (hidden under our patio set) or sometimes with my (very nice) neighbor who is a teacher and is usually home form work when he comes.