Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

2nd scariest bike ride

To disable ads, please log-in.

was yesterday for me.

There was a windstorm which frankly I (and probably many others outside) didn't realize until reading the headlines this morning, the wind gusts were up to 130 km./ hr. The whole of downtown was a danger zone with shattered window glass, some flying construction materials.

I was cycling back from my favourite cream puff place. That 8 km. ride meant stopping 10 times along the way, because I literally could not balance myself with a headwind which then switched into a cross-wind several times.

So glad I was home: I had to walk down the ramp into the underground parking garage. I couldn't balance on the bike to even cycle into the garage down a hill.
    I've cycled in steadily windy days in other cities, but the prairies in our area, are known for wind changing directions, etc.

(lst scariest ride was cycling 1 km. long ribbon of sheer ice on bike path by Olympic Village on a quiet Sunday morning . I got on it and realized it was too late. Then I fell near the end ..because I gently braked..I had to. Even though I knew braking or NOT braking meant falling at some point.)
    Last edited by shootingstar; 11-28-2011 at 03:59 AM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Was that in Vancouver or Calgary? :O
    2011 Trek WSD Madone 3.1
    Asama Luddite (cheap hybrid) 2008 or 2009
    Kuwahara Savage MTB - early 90s

Well, you certainly earned your cream puff. Glad you got home safely.

yikes!! and you weigh less than 100 pounds. a feather in the wind!!!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

winds 130 km/hour I just tried to convert that to miles online and came up with something like 80mph??? OMG, I am so glad you got through that and hope you enjoyed several cream puffs!

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    This is in Calgary.

In Vancouver, one most definitely avoids cycling on the road bridges in such winds.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.