Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by jyyanks View Post
    For those still following, I just took my measurements.

5ft (exact)
    27 inch inseam
    25 inch torso
    22 1/2 arm length

Basically, I'm short all around! I'm headed to the Jamis and Felt LBS's today to see what they have. Thanks for all the help!

You're height and inseam are actually the same as mine. My arm length is 23 inch. From attempting to measure my torso it's also around 25 inches. (of course I'm trying to measure myself with no help).
    Definitely check out the Felt. Look both at the ZW series and the 48cm F series. For me my F 5 fits great. Now we are looking at changing out of the seat post because it's has an offset of a couple of degrees for a 0 offset seat post to give some adjustment in the front to back for the saddle, which is all the way forward right now.
    If I did this right, I've included a picture of my Felt which is actually a limited edition.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1385.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	13963  

Quote Originally Posted by goldfinch View Post
    Felt is going to have the shortest standover I think, on the ZW line, the petite bikes with the 650 wheels. You might not have to go that small. But the most important measurement in my mind is the reach. You just don't want to be stretched out too far. You can get away with a slightly too high top tube. Though it has been nice for me to have a bike where I don't have that issue (my 43cm Madone with 650 wheels, no longer made).

Enjoy your test rides! I wanted to try the Felt but never tracked one down.
    Yes the petite ZW bikes do have shorter standover than what the 48cm in the F series has. Actually the Z and ZW lines are a bit different in geometry from the F series.

Thank you goldfinch,laura and koronin!

I was supposed to go to the Felt and Jamis dealer (2 different shops) today but it was beautiful out and I ended up riding instead I'm trying to ride as much as I can before the NE winter truly sets in. The next time I can go bike shopping is Friday (most LBS's close at 6 and I don't get home from work until 7:30) but I am definitely hitting both those shops this week.

I know you'll find the right bike for what you need to feel comfortable. That is the big key, make sure you are comfortable on it. We bought a Cannondale CAD 8 for my husband and are now trying to sell it as he just cannot get comfortable at all on it. Basically just the wrong bike for what he needs in a road bike. So make sure you are comfortable on whatever bike you end up choosing.

Oooh, now I want a Surly Pacer. *drool* Why did I read this thread?!

Quote Originally Posted by laura* View Post
    Let me point out that Felt doesn't have a Woman Specific Geometry line of bikes. They simply have a single range of frame sizes. The two biggest ZW geometries are identical to the two smallest Z series geometries.

This may not be an issue for the OP who likely fits one of the two smallest ZW sizes. As those aren't offered in the unisex Z series, they might actually have WSG.
    From their website, it sounds like their ZW line is "women specific." Am I misunderstanding their website? Granted, I think that label doesn't always mean much and I don't necessary agree that there is some magic geometry that works for all women, but it does sound like they make some accommodations for women with that line of bikes, e.g., shorter cranks, narrower handlebars, compact gearing.

I've never actually looked at Felt before. Given my own short legs, I might have to if I'm ever in the market for a new road bike. They're certainly nice looking.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Hee hee.

Reading through this thread really took me back. Almost exactly 8 years ago I was asking the same kinds of questions as you, jyy.

This was from my very first post on TE:

Quote Originally Posted by jobob View Post
    So I’m thinking I’d like to get a road/touring bike too, and expand my territory beyond the bike paths. But I feel I should up my skill and conditioning level beforehand to justify the new bike (that’s the way my mind works, I have to “deserve” it, LOL!).
    I went on to talk about a womens-only metric century ride I had just found out about, that was to be held that coming spring.

Heh, the big question is, do I get the new bike as a reward to myself for completing the century? Or do I get it sooner knowing that the ride will be that much easier on a road bike rather than the hybrid?
    That was followed by a resounding chorus of "Get the bike!"
    (hmmm, can't help but notice a certain MS Veronica was a part of that chorus too )

The rest is history.

Good luck with your decision. And enjoy your new bike.
    Last edited by jobob; 11-29-2011 at 12:20 PM.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    From their website, it sounds like their ZW line is "women specific." Am I misunderstanding their website? Granted, I think that label doesn't always mean much and I don't necessary agree that there is some magic geometry that works for all women,
    The geometry of the Medium ZW is identical to the 51cm Z, and the Tall ZW is identical to the 54cm Z. That leaves just the 650c wheeled Petite ZW and 700c wheeled Small ZW as unique from the Z line.

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    but it does sound like they make some accommodations for women with that line of bikes, e.g., shorter cranks, narrower handlebars, compact gearing.
    I didn't check, but presumably they do change the componentry they hang on the frames. I lost interest in researching** further when I noticed that 1 ) the ZW line ends before growing to my size, 2 ) the larger ZW geometries aren't unique, and 3 ) their regular geometries totally wouldn't work for me.

** I've recently been downloading road/cyclocross geometry charts from many manufacturers...
    Laura

Indysteel, I pretty much thought the same thing you do about the ZW line. I just didn't pay it much attention though because the F series geometry was more what I was looking for than the Z/ZW series.

Just found out that the local Felt dealer (who also carries Surly) is a "Serotta Certifies Fit" Shop. I may go there first and inquire about a fitting. If you buy the bike from them, I think they do end up giving you a discount. The only thing is that this is not the LBS that I go to but if the bike fits.....

Jobob - thanks for your input! It's so nice to hear from someone who also felt that they had to "deserve" a road bike, but, after 8 years, is still gung-ho about biking. I assume you bought the bike and had no regrets. I hope that in a couple of years, I'll be telling some newbie to take a chance and just go for it!