Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Winter Cycling Shoes?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Do any of you have actual "Winter" cycling shoes? I have a hard time keeping my feet warm and was curious if this would help. I have shoe covers and they only give so so results.... my toes still get very cold.

Wool socks and Cannondale toe covers over my shoes when temps in the 40s. Any colder than that and I break out my Sidi winter shoes. They are almost too hot - but I love them.

Winter shoes rock They are much better than shoe covers. I'm saving up for the Big Ones, from Lake.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Quote Originally Posted by WindingRoad View Post
    Do any of you have actual "Winter" cycling shoes? I have a hard time keeping my feet warm and was curious if this would help. I have shoe covers and they only give so so results.... my toes still get very cold.
    Have you tried chemical warmers yet? I've a handful of them but haven't had a chance to try them as of yet. I have heard the Lake winter shoes are nice, and they aren't as expensive as Sidi.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Have you tried chemical warmers yet? I've a handful of them but haven't had a chance to try them as of yet. I have heard the Lake winter shoes are nice, and they aren't as expensive as Sidi.
    Chemical warmers are great, but they don't seem to work if it starts raining. Something to consider.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

cycling is good

I'm a bike commuter and I live in Lille, which is North of France (near Belgium). I have a road-bike, and I ride a total of 20Km to work and back.

Wool Socks - Wigwams are good and thick. I've worn them in 20 degree temps and my feet never get cold. Yeah, they're not stylish - but they work. And I can ride my bike longer each year.

I wear Chrome shoes or Adidas Sambas in the winter. A leather shoe blocks the wind very well. (I don't ride clipped in though.) I use BMX platforms with pins on all my bikes. Holds your feet on better than you think, and if you meat-grind your calf right-off-the-bat, you learn to only slip off once.
    "Things look different from the seat of a bike carrying a sleeping bag with a cold beer tucked inside." ~Jim Malusa
    2009 Trek 520-Brooks B-17 Special in Antique Brown
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker-Brooks B-17 Standard in Black
    1983 Fuji Espree Single Speed-Brooks B17 British Racing Green

I bought winter shoes this year. Since not many are made in my size (37) for women or men, I know mine are not the warmest. I have Shimanos (same as my regular shoes) and while they fit well and definitely are warmer than regular shoes with just wool socks, they are not warmer than regular shoes, wool socks, chemical warmers, and booties, which was my previous solution... it's just quicker to get them on than all of that other stuff. My issue is that I've been using chemical warmers for the last few years and I don't like any hint of coolness in my feet now. These are for my road pedals.
    I bought PI Gore Alp X winter shoes 2 years ago for my bike with Frogs. They were not that warm at all and not that comfortable, either. I am looking for new winter mountain shoes, since I tend to ride that bike more in the winter.
    DH has Lake and Sidi winter shoes that are really warm and cozy. But they don't come in my size.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I do not have winter shoes as I typically don't ride in temps below 37F or so. I do, however, love my PI Barrier shoe-covers. They rock and, at least in the temps in which I ride, keep my feet toasty warm. I do still use chemical warmers.

I've ridden to 25 deg F with my Lake winter riding booties. I love them very very very much! My toes will get cold at those temps, but between about 30 and 45 F, they're perfect!
    "There are only two ways to live your life: You can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle" - Albert Einstein

2012 Cinelli Gazzetta della Strada
    2011 Scott Contessa Speedster 15
    1993 Cannondale H600
    1970s Western Flyer Cruiser