Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Favorite Christmas Movies as as Child

To disable ads, please log-in.

Last night we trolled through netflix for family Christmas movies. I searched high and low for Disney's "The Small One." About a little boy and his donkey. I just remember being very moved by the story line. Finally found a digital download that I plan to put on DD's new iPod for Christmas. Just wish I could buy the DVD so we could all enjoy it!

What was your favorite Christmas movie when you were a kid?
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

Rankin-Bass Rudolph...hands-down! Now it's probably a tie between that and Elf, even though that's a relatively new film. I never saw The Christmas Story as a kid...which is sad. That is one I now love..."sons of b*tches...Bumpuses!!!"
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Christmas movies are up there with Christmas music - I hate it all.
    I do like "The Grinch" and Harry Belafonte had a fabulous Christmas album - but that's it.
    My photoblog
    http://dragons-fly-peacefully.blogspot.com/
    Bacchetta Giro (recumbent commuter)
    Bacchetta Corsa (recumbent "fast" bike)
    Greespeed X3 (recumbent "just for fun" trike)
    Strada Velomobile
    I will never buy another bike!

As a kid I liked the Rudolph one quite a lot. But as an adult, man Santa is a jerk in it. "You're nose is too funny to be one of MY reindeer." I just expect Santa to be less judgemental about appearances.

I really like "a Muppet Christmas Carol." I often show it to my class. 5th graders love it!

I loved "The Grinch" as a kid and still really enjoy it.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by limewave View Post
    Finally found a digital download that I plan to put on DD's new iPod for Christmas. Just wish I could buy the DVD so we could all enjoy it!
    I don't know about the iPod, but you can hook your computer up to the TV and play it that way. I don't know how, but it's pretty simple when DH does it.

I guess it would be the Grinch and Rudolph for me. I never much cared for Charlie Brown, and I was in my 20s before A Christmas Story came out (probably not real appropriate for a 6-year-old anyway).

I'm a huge fan of the George C. Scott Christmas Carol, but again, not necessarily for a 6-year-old.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I forgot about "Olive, the Other Reindeer," not exactly from my childhood.

It's another one I've shown my class and they really like it for all the word play. Really... they just like getting to watch a movie, but then we talk about the word play.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

A Charlie Brown Christmas still makes me a little teary-eyed, and I love A Christmas Story and Elf. I always watch When Harry Met Sally this time of year. It's not a holiday movie per se, but i associate it with this time of year.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

You know, we watched all the holiday TV shows every year, but I don't really remember any Christmas movies that we watched back then. I was an adult before I saw Miracle on 34th Street or It's a Wonderful Life.

I guess at some point we watched A Christmas Carol with Alistair Sim, because that's my sister's favorite.

A Christmas Story came out when I was in college. It's always been popular in my family.

I like Elf a lot. Also love that Peter Billingsly (aka Ralphie) plays one of the elves.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

The Grinch is my favorite Xmas movie. While not a Xmas movie, I also like "The Cutting Edge" around the holidays. Sappy romantic at heart.
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

Love Charlie Brown Christmas and The Grinch. Favorite movie "White Christmas" with Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye.
    Marcie

Truthfully they really haven't changed. My favorites as a kid are still favorites
    Rudolph the Red Noised Reindeer
    The Grinch
    A Christmas Carol (George C Scott version)
    Mickey's Christmas Carol
    Frosty the Snowman (the original one)
    Twas the Night Before Christmas

I've added a couple to that as an adult, but those are still favorites. Looking at the list, A Christmas Carol is really the only actual movie on the list. LOL

Here's a few I've added as a adult:
    Scroodged
    Jingle All the Way
    The Grinch

I have A Small One on one of the Christmas DVDs I bought, I'll have to find which one it's on and I'll post to let you know.

The Grinch was and still is my favorite.

I did not like Christmas Story as a kid but really enjoy watching it with my family now. Admittedly, I remember watching the Bells of St Mary with my parents and liking it.

Rudolph & Frosty (Rankin Bass) are classics but the Grinch is on the top of my list.

I'll have to download "The Small One". Wonderful film. Hadn't even thought about that in years until you brought it up. Disney is obnoxious about putting things out on DVD.

I really don't like a lot of the Christmas movies out there. I detest "A Christmas Carol" in any version. Stupid horrid story, but that's for another time.

I do like the simple sweet ones that are rarely seen like the "The Small One" though. Those are hard to find and I don't remember titles to a lot of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    I forgot about "Olive, the Other Reindeer," not exactly from my childhood.

It's another one I've shown my class and they really like it for all the word play. Really... they just like getting to watch a movie, but then we talk about the word play.

Veronica
    LOVE Olive, I just bought it for my honey.

Electra Townie 7D

I did find a DVD copy of "The Small One" for you! It's in Disney's Animation Collection 7, "Mickey's Christmas Carol". When I did some checking, you'd have to order it as for some reason most retail stores only have it as online purchase only. Amazon.com seems to have it the cheapest.

Forgive the movie buff in me. You just asked for a DVD version