Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I cannot believe I'm thinking about getting my 6 yo an iPod Touch

To disable ads, please log-in.

I know it is crazy . . . . . but after looking at the options
    mp3 player, digital camera, ebooks, video games . . .
    Those are all things she's asked for.

The child-friendly options I'm looking at: Innopad ($80), Leappad ($100) and Nintendo DS ($100).

The apps and games for these cost $20-$40 each. And then there's AC adapters to buy and cases . . . which brings the cost up to $150+
    The ebooks for the Leapppad and Innopad seem well under her ability (she's reading 5th grade chapter books). I just feel like she would quickly outgrow them. The Nintendo DS is neat, but the games are pricey and can be lost. And its not an MP3 player.

So I'm thinking about the Touch. I can get a new Touch for $150. We already have an extensive music library and photo library on iTunes we can upload for her. It has the camera she really wants. There's an online library of any apps we purchase so that they can be replaced if something happens.

It's weird, I thought I would never consider it. But I am. That would be her only present from Santa--but its a doozy.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

The Luddite in me screams Noooooo! But the realist in me says it's a whole new world and tech is an integral part of it, the funny thing will be that she probably already knows how to use a lot of the features.

Electra Townie 7D

Your 6 year old has asked for a camera and an mp3 player?

FWIW, I would not be eager to encourage young kids to listen to music with earbuds. I would worry about hearing damage.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Does the Touch take the same apps the iPhone does? If so, she'll have access to Kindle and tons of e-books, lots of language games, math games. And it's easy to carry in a backpack.

DD had several language-building tools when she was growing up and I never regretted it. She's a big reader now, prefers real books as opposed to ebooks, and she tends to do really well in school. I think your daughter will enjoy the Touch.

Let her bling it up and make it her own.

Roxy
    Getting in touch with my inner try-athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    The Luddite in me screams Noooooo! But the realist in me says it's a whole new world and tech is an integral part of it, the funny thing will be that she probably already knows how to use a lot of the features.
    That was my reaction, too. I have a hard time appreciating just how different children's lives and educations are thanks to digital this and computerized that. Heck, I didn't own a cell phone of my own until 2006, at the age of 37. LW, do you think there's much chance that she'll lose it? That would be my fear. But I misplace my own iPhone at least once a day, so I'm not sure that's a function of age.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by channlluv View Post
    Does the Touch take the same apps the iPhone does? If so, she'll have access to Kindle and tons of e-books, lots of language games, math games. And it's easy to carry in a backpack.

DD had several language-building tools when she was growing up and I never regretted it. She's a big reader now, prefers real books as opposed to ebooks, and she tends to do really well in school. I think your daughter will enjoy the Touch.

Let her bling it up and make it her own.

Roxy
    yes--same apps as an iphone! There would be some serious restrictions/responsibilities to go along with such a gift. The Touch may stay in mom and dad's possession and have to be "checked-out" and returned . . . until she's a bit older.

Talking this out with a friend she said that buying such a thing would spoil her, what would I get her at age 9, 11, 14 . . .?
    I replied: a 24" mountain bike, 26" mountain bike", and a road bike!
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    That was my reaction, too. I have a hard time appreciating just how different children's lives and educations are thanks to digital this and computerized that. Heck, I didn't own a cell phone of my own until 2006, at the age of 37. LW, do you think there's much chance that she'll lose it? That would be my fear. But I misplace my own iPhone at least once a day, so I'm not sure that's a function of age.
    I know a lot of teenagers who can't take care of their iphones/ipods. They're always losing them or breaking them.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

our neighbour's 4 year old had an iPod touch when he was about 18 months old, and for his 4th birthday they gave him an iPad. Not what I would do, but the kid navigates around it like a whiz.

Just a suggestion, let her pick the color, but make her keep an otterbox on it.

And they're much cheaper on Amazon.

Electra Townie 7D

I like the "checking out" idea. It will give her a chance to show responsibility.

I also think it's fine to give kids who show an interest in technology the tools to foster that interest. My daughter was helping her dad build computers when she was three. She can load software, troubleshoot tech issues, and so on. She goes to a tech school. Her friends are mostly geeks. It's a tech world.

The geeks shall inherit the Earth.

Roxy
    Getting in touch with my inner try-athlete.

A friend's 4 year old has a iTouch. They like the fact that they DON'T have it connected to the internet and that it isn't a cellphone.

They only let her use it at home and they have attached a electronic "finder" to the back of the case, so if it gets lost they can find it.

Quote Originally Posted by channlluv View Post
    The geeks shall inherit the Earth.
    I thought they already had!

I like the idea and think having to do a 'check out' with mom and dad makes a lot of sense. Actually, so does an Otterbox. I've got one on my iphone and even though I've dropped it numerous times, it still looks brand new (the phone, not the Otterbox!).

We got my daughter's ipod touch for her when she was 6. She's now 7 1/2 and it's been one of the best gifts I ever got her. There are SO many fun educational games she can play. It's a better investment than the other electronic gadgets aimed for kids b/c it can do just about everything she wants, and it grows with her. We have rules of course... it has to be checked out with permission, time is limited, not allowed ever on school days, you must be sitting when playing, and earbuds are not allowed (she can listen to music on the charger station speakers). She plays math games, problem solving games, stuff like that.... she loves it.

I say go for it!
    ~ working mom to 3 little girls ~

Roadie... 2010 54cm Trek Madone 4.5, Bontrager inForm

My sister got her daughter the IPod Touch at age 7. At the time I couldn't understand it. But I do now. My boys spend more time using the apps on my SmartPhone than I do. They have some really good ones. If I had the money, I would possibly consider it (or something similar) for my 6 year old, even though every part of me still screams NO!!! as well.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    It's difficult for many of us (as 30-40 something-yer-old adults) to accept the changing world. I'm sure it was that way with PC's for our parents. It's the same way for kids now. Their minds are wired differently than ours are. As a teacher I have to consciously think of how to integrate technology into every lesson to keep them engaged and challenge them. It's how they learn best. Maybe not how we learned, and definitely not how our parents learned- but it's an ever-changing world.

Personally, I think an itouch is a great gift. The games on it will challenge her and keep her learning the way that she'll be learning for the rest of her life. I think a phone at that age is ridiculous, but a learning tool is a different story.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike