Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've considered getting an extra rear wheel/tire to leave on the trainer but then I end up wondering why... how much wear does the trainer wheel really put on the tire?

It's smooth with no humps, bumps, potholes or street spooge. Logically I think the road tears up a tire a whole lot more, so why change out?

Other than personal preference, is there really a physical wear reason to go through the change?

Lay some science on me girls

spazz
    no regrets!

My ride: 2003 Specialized Allez Comp - zebra (men's 52cm), Speedplay X5 pedals, Koobi Au Enduro saddle

Spazzdog Ink Gallery
    http://www.printroom.com/pro/gratcliff

Quote Originally Posted by Norsegoddess View Post
    Late to the game here, but I DO have a spare wheel with a trainer tire on it and it was cheap. I asked around at my LBS if anyone had a used wheel with a compatible rear cassette for my bike's derailleur and one of the shop guys had just such a wheel that he was looking to sell. I think I paid about $70. It is sooooooo much easier just swapping out the wheel vs. a tire.
    I went this route too. I got lazy changing the tires.

I think using a trainer tire is a good idea. Besides the wear issue, I think the thicker tire grips the trainer better and therefore doesn't slip as much.