Well, I'm currently relaxing on the couch about 48 hours after labiaplasty. So I figure I might as well contribute. If you're not into TMI, now is a good time to stop reading.

I had a breast reduction done 6 years ago at age 34: 34DDD to 34C. It was life-changing. No more debilitating neck muscle strains (which I used to get a few times a year), greatly reduced upper back pain (though I still have some pain doing certain activities... probably did some permanent damage in the years I lived in misery). Less hormonal pain from cysts, which was sometimes bad enough I had to walk with care to avoid too much painful bounce. As a bonus, I even got ride of a bit of breast tissue in my armpit (maybe more than a bit... it was a bulge big enough to see under clothing)... it also had cysts, and made me wince to put on my antiperspirant. No more wearing a sports bra over a regular bra. I could breathe better. So it opened the door to being more active (cycling for sport as well as transportation) and I lost a few pounds, got healthier, gained confidence. I'm only sorry it took me so long to work up the nerve to talk to a doctor.

In that same spirit of taking care of yourself, during 6 years of mostly happy road bike riding, I've put a lot of thought into my saddle pain. Shorts, saddles, creams, positioning... still squirming not to get my labia pinched. It's a legitimate problem. I sometimes get small tears (which sting), I tend to sit off-kilter to protect my labia minora which means I have persistent saddle-sores on one side, and I even landed on the top tube once, resulting in a bloody flood from a split labia minora that needed a trip to the emergency room for stitches. My labia minora were maybe just at the upper limit of normal (5 cm?), long enough to stick to my thigh when I walk or need re-adjusting of the underwear (that's super irritating, by the way). Also tough to keep clean with so many folds, which may or may not have been made worse from scarring after my rough landing experience. I ride daily, and they've definitely become relatively tough with that treatment, but are still a pretty sensitive body part to be sitting on for an hour or more every day. So I decided to go for labiaplasty after really thinking through the source of my discomfort, and reading stories from other women. I believe it will help me be more comfortable, and it will certainly help me stay cleaner.

My surgery was a simple trim (laser). Twilight anesthetic (I just felt like I slept, and woke up easily). I have virtually no swelling, and have only taken a couple of regular Tylenols the day of the surgery, mostly out of precaution as the local was wearing off. The next day, I was up and walking (normally but carefully), but virtually in no pain, and with no more analgesics. Even had visitors drop by who didn't know I'd just had a surgery the day before. Seriously, I've been in worse pain after a long day of bike riding. Have seen worse swelling after doing a time trial. There is some bleeding, which has almost stopped now. Using the bathroom and gently showering is fine. So, so far I'm kind of thrilled with the surgery, since I was expecting a lot worse. Maybe bike riding has helped toughen me up in that regard? Anyways, I plan to report back once I'm riding again. It will be a few weeks. I'm looking forward to being able to ride as long as *I* want to in the future, rather than just for as long as a certain body part can tolerate it.