Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Starting radiation on Tuesday! Yay! That means, no more surgery!!!!!!!

The radiologist went over all the statistics of getting a larger margin. The evidence boiled down to a few percentage points better for staying cancer free with additional surgery (in which I would lose my nipple), but no difference in survival rates if I chose to move on with the too-close margin. Survival rates are the same, close to 100%, for either choice. More surgery would also mean for both breasts for cosmetic reasons, and additional reconstruction procedures. It wasn't a hard decision for me. I know a lot of women choose mastectomy for an even better chance of no recurrence (and I can understand that; it's often the best decision), but I'll still have that option if I need it later. In fact, it will be my only option, so I'm taking the chance to spare my breast while I can.

Oh, and I had another mammogram today, thinking back to the title of this thread. It's really no big deal! Actually, none of this has been that bad, so I hope I've inspired some of you to start doing self exams. If I hadn't found this so early, I'd be looking at a lot more effort in staying well than I am right now. This is a piece of cake. Okay, some of it was scary, but nothing has hurt, and I don't need chemo. I hope this hasn't scared anyone away from mammograms. I feel very, very lucky. The latest test came back clear.

For your info, radiation doesn't hurt, make you nauseous, or make you lose your hair. There are some risks, but most of them are minor, related to skin, and feeling tired. It's a few minute procedure 5 days a week for 6 weeks.

I'm also probably going to take Tamoxifen, since my cancer was Estrogen+. I'll let you know about that later.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Hey Red, this is such great news. I've seen women go through radiation in my support group and they all did fabulously. You'll want something soothing and aloe-like to use after treatments, but get instructions from your radiation oncologist, there are specifics dos and don'ts with the topicals.

*Happy dance for you* !!!

I'm in year two on Tamoxifen so I can chat with you about that if you like. The side effects I have had have been manageable.

Giant TCR C3 :: Specialized Jett 143
    Specialized FSR :: Terry Butterfly
    Vintage Giant Road Bike :: Specialized Lithia

Good news!
    I was sweating for you as I had to have re-surgeries because of a very aggressive grade cancer and too close margins...
    Yeah it all looks better in retrospect...bit like life, really
    How many rads are you in for?
    Early Christmas prezzie!

All you need is love...la-dee-da-dee-da...all you need is love!

Red - I am so happy for you, and relieved as well

Quote Originally Posted by margo49 View Post
    Good news!
    I was sweating for you as I had to have re-surgeries because of a very aggressive grade cancer and too close margins...
    Yeah it all looks better in retrospect...bit like life, really
    How many rads are you in for?
    Early Christmas prezzie!
    That could be my fate as well, so I'm hoping they got it all. My cancer was stage 0, grade 2, and there's nothing else viewable on either MRI or mammo, so my fingers are crossed that microscopically, everything is out!

30 rads coming to me! That could be part of that song. Happy Christmas!

Slacker on wheels.

Yay, Red! I hope radiation goes smoothly. Here's hoping for a very bright and cancer-free future!
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Everybody sing!

2 mammogaaams
    1 ultra-sound
    1 excisional biopsy
    1 MRI
    2 months of worrying
    and 30 rads-a-comin' my way

Slacker on wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by redrhodie View Post
    My cancer was stage 0, grade 2, and there's nothing else viewable on either MRI or mammo, so my fingers are crossed that microscopically, everything is out!

Happy Christmas!

Really great numbers!

All you need is love...la-dee-da-dee-da...all you need is love!

Amazing news, Red. Happy holidays!

I cannot believe I have missed this thread for so long!!! Wow you have been through so much (I just read through all 12 pages) and your attitude has been amazing. I am so glad things have taken a more positive turn. I will be reading this thread more regularly now. Good luck with the radiation - huge hug to you!!
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Keep riding, Red.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Oh I'm planning to! I'm probably even going to ride to my rads. 10 easy miles from the park and ride, on days I don't work.

I'm going to need new bras. I love my Ibex ones, but I'm probably going to be too sensitive for wool. The best thing after the surgery was cotton camis with a shelf bra, so I may just get more of those. It's funny, I never thought I'd be able to wear just a cami out, since I've always been too modest, but this has changed that.

Slacker on wheels.

I just caught up as well, not realizing this thread wasn't only about getting a mammogram. A positive attitude has never hurt anyone when kicking cancer's butt, seems like you have one. (((HUGS)))
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Today's appt ended up being just a CAT scan and set-up for the rads, no treatment, yet. I did get the 3 tiny tattoos (one needle prick each) for guiding the machine, since you have to be placed in the exact position every time. Rads start next Thurs.

Christmas was great, easy, and with the 3 people I love most. We watched the latest Woody Allen movie "Midnight in Paris" which was fun. I got nicer presents than I gave, which is not supposed to be a good thing, but it didn't seem to hurt. I've given myself a lot of breaks during this. I'm getting totally spoiled.

Slacker on wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by redrhodie View Post
    I've given myself a lot of breaks during this. I'm getting totally spoiled.
    You're doing this right!
    Giant TCR C3 :: Specialized Jett 143
    Specialized FSR :: Terry Butterfly
    Vintage Giant Road Bike :: Specialized Lithia