Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Thanks Pax, I'll try. The instructor wants us to hold our breath as long as possible, exhale fast underwater and inhale fast, but it gets me confused so I end up exhaling too little, too late. Exhaling continuously underwater I can do.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    Thanks Pax, I'll try. The instructor wants us to hold our breath as long as possible, exhale fast underwater and inhale fast, but it gets me confused so I end up exhaling too little, too late. Exhaling continuously underwater I can do.
    Has the instructor explained why he wants you to hold your breath? I'm confused by that...

Not really, but we haven't had much time to discuss it. He said something about floating higher in the water (which is logical, but I float pretty well ) and being able to use the oxygen in your lungs for longer, which I'm not sure if I buy.

Anyone?
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    Has the instructor explained why he wants you to hold your breath? I'm confused by that...
    Not really, but we haven't had much time to discuss it. He said something about floating higher in the water (which is logical, but I float pretty well ) and being able to use the oxygen in your lungs for longer, which I'm not sure if I buy.

Anyone?
    I'm with Becky, that's very odd.

I know competitive swimmers who practice breath holding to increase lung capacity, but I've never heard of that with people learning to swim.

Electra Townie 7D

His explanation runs counter to what I was taught. I learned to exhale continuously, which lowers your chest and raises your legs, making you more streamlined and efficient.

But I don't know enough to say who's right.

Well then! I think I'll just happily ignore that part for the time being He hasn't really been stressing it, just said that that would be ideal.

Well then! I think I'll just happily ignore that part for the time being He hasn't really been stressing it, just said that that would be ideal.
    I think if you try to keep your breathing as natural as possible, you'll find your swimming epiphany. Best of luck!!

Electra Townie 7D

Yeah, it seems counter to what I've learned too. The idea of keeping oxygen in your lungs doesn't hold water (ha ha) because your body doesn't sense oxygen levels. It senses CO2 levels. If you are in a room with no oxygen you wouldn't notice so long as you can get rid of the CO2. That's why people get carbon monoxide poisoning, or suffocate without knowing it in a room full of gas nitrogen. Breathing out continuously lets your body keep getting rid of CO2.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike