Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Wow.

I don't teach indoor cycling (and I'm *really* glad to have the bikes' long crankarms and my knees as an excuse not to), but there's a contingent of people who show up for my strength and step classes and don't pay attention. In that situation, it's "merely" rude and distracting to the other participants.

But in a spin class, where bikes are nearly always limited, it's more than rude to take a bike that someone else could be using and then not participate in the class. If I were the instructor in that situation, I'd speak to the person after class, and if they continued to do that I might even speak to my program coordinator.
    I'll take somebody wearing headphones and quietly doing his or her own thing over people talking all through class. Now that's rude. When I used to go to spin classes, there was one group of friends who chatted with one another through the entire class. It was such a distraction.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    I'll take somebody wearing headphones and quietly doing his or her own thing over people talking all through class. Now that's rude. When I used to go to spin classes, there was one group of friends who chatted with one another through the entire class. It was such a distraction.
    As an instructor, I can not begin to tell you how angry that makes me!

For some different reasons, I just let go all of my class load except for one class (happens to give me gym access for free, so I need to keep it). In that class, I have a click of outdoor riders, with one person in particular that's the ring leader so to speak, that have got to be the rudest people on earth in regards to that. My boss there is pretty much all about her and of very little support. It's colder now, and I know they will be in. My heart is filled with dread. Ugh. I take very seriously what I do and try to conduct myself as a professional, BUT I have to tell you that I have never been so close to screaming "shut the f*** up!!!" (while wearing the mic, mind you) at someone in all my life!

*d e e p * b r e a t h*

OP...

Just finding this thread... looks like you have gotten lots of good advice.

One thing I do not see answered though is besides bike shorts you can bring your own gel saddle pad. Sporting good stores, and Walmart sells them for $10 &up. I carry an extra one in my gym bag for students.

The spin bike has adjustments to get many sizes of bodies comfortable but the frame size is unchanged... SO... that means for someone like me who takes a small frame size I'm rolled forward onto my pubic bone on the spin bike. Bike shorts chamois plus gel pad makes it fine for an hour class.
    Last edited by Miranda; 10-27-2011 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miranda View Post
    As an instructor, I can not begin to tell you how angry that makes me!

BUT I have to tell you that I have never been so close to screaming "shut the f*** up!!!" (while wearing the mic, mind you) at someone in all my life!
    I had people like that too. I made them sprint. (evil grin)
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmama View Post
    I had people like that too. I made them sprint. (evil grin)
    hahahaha...