Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thumbs up totally off topic victory of sorts

To disable ads, please log-in.

In a fit of totally insane optimism and a need to prove something (although I am not quite sure what) to myself, and in partial celebration of finally being back up to where I was, weight lifting and resistance wise, before the mastectomy in June, I have signed up for a 5 k on Sunday Nov. 5.

I started training seriously by doing jogging, walking intervals in early Septembers, and it has gone distressingly slowly, running out of air no matter how fast I breath, painful knees for 48 hours after an outdoor session, and in general discouraging. I have been alternating days of outside intervals and trying to just extend time on the treadmill indoors.

I had worked myself up to 1.25 miles in 30 minutes jogging with two short 1 minute walking intervals and then seemed stuck, to the point of starting to try and talk myself out of the goal of three miles, no matter how long it took.

I took a couple of days last week just doing nothing on the treadmill, elliptical, or outdoors (did continue to ride the recumbent and my trainer at very easy pace and very low resistance) because my knees were so sore.

Today, bouyed by the weather, I went out and suddenly within the first 500 feet or so, I hit my pace, slow and steady, no breathing distress, and kept going until I was starting to feel like it might be nice to stop. Check my route mileage and much to my surprise it was 2.04 miles in 36 minutes. Granted that is not speedy, but it a breakthrough of sorts.

I am beginning to think, and possibly believe, that even at my age I can manage a news skill in a senior citizen sort of way. I think that counts a victory as sorts.

marni
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

Awesome! I'm so proud of your determination! I wonder if the Livestrong site has referrals or resources for women like you training for a milestone accomplishment after your cancer surgery & treatment? Tokie

Not even "of a sorts"! A full-fledged one. Good on ya.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

That's wonderful!
    2014 Bobbin Bramble / Brooks B67
    2008 Rodriguez Rainier Mirage / Terry Butterfly Tri Gel
    2007 Dahon Speed Pro TT / Biologic Velvet
    1998? GT Rebound / Serfas Gel

Definitely. Bravo.

Yay Marni! And not totally off topic whatever! Time to join in the running/walking threads, maybe.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Smile

Totally on topic victory

"I went out and suddenly within the first 500 feet or so, I hit my pace, slow and steady, no breathing distress, and kept going until I was starting to feel like it might be nice to stop. Check my route mileage and much to my surprise it was 2.04 miles in 36 minutes. Granted that is not speedy, but it a breakthrough of sorts.”

It’s funny, we sometimes post things but little do we realise how it can help somebody else, in fact somebody a very long way away.

First of all I want to send you an enormous virtual hug, I’m sitting here all teary as I am so pleased for you. I don’t usually do walk but have just achieved something similar, so I know how excited and what a smashing feeling it is.

Continue walking and jogging but most of all, enjoy it and keep well.

Hugs.
    Clock

Orange Clockwork - Limited Edition 1998

‘Enjoy your victories of each day'

Yay for you!!!
    Beth

Keep it up! Sometimes baby step's are ok! We are all cheering for you and your victories!
    Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.
    > Remember to appreciate all the different people in your life!

that's great!! congrats!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Totally not off-topic! Congrats! There's nothing better than finding, as I call it, your "energizer bunny" pace. The one where you can keep going steadily until you just don't want to, without your legs or your lungs yelling at you first. Happy day!

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Marni, of course you can do this. I think a lot of what determines whether or not we can do something takes place between our ears. If you think you can do a 5K then you can. I'm not implying that just by thinking it you can suddenly & miraculously do it. Of course you have to train and prepare, but if you do those things you will run 5K. No doubt.
    I used the Couch to 5K (C25k) plan to train and build up to running. It was great. I was just under 200 lbs.

So keep going and you will do it. I have full confidence in you.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls & looks like work" - Thomas Edison

Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkOrange View Post
    [CENTER]Totally on topic victory

It’s funny, we sometimes post things but little do we realise how it can help somebody else, in fact somebody a very long way away.

First of all I want to send you an enormous virtual hug, I’m sitting here all teary as I am so pleased for you. I don’t usually do walk but have just achieved something similar, so I know how excited and what a smashing feeling it is.

Continue walking and jogging but most of all, enjoy it and keep well.

Hugs.
    dear clockwork, thank you, and good for you for your achievement and recovery.

marni
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."