Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

When to do first race

So I've ordered a bike and it should be here sometime next week - thanks for the help on that!

Last week I had my first clinic (there are two more sessions), and used my hybrid.

When would I be ready for my first race? Would next weekend be too soon? Should I wait until my skills are better? And which skills are most important? I gather mounts/dismounts - but what else?

I'm doing my first cross race in a week. It's tough to know what to expect, since you can't see the course until right before the race. My husband built some barriers in our front yard so I can practice my mounts/dismounts (see my blog below for info. on building your own). I would say that as long as you're comfortable with mounts/dismounts and have a good level of fitness, that it never hurts to give it a try. What's the worst that could happen? If you refer to my cross skills post, SheFly had some great training tips.
    Girl meets bike. Bike leads girl to a life of grime: http://mudandmanoloscycling.com/

I think you should do it as soon as possible! Cross season is short and you might as well dive in. Plus, racing will be great experience and great training. Have fun! As far as skills, shouldering is my current bête noire. People who do it well can save a lot of time. But I find it painful in any position. Working on that....
    2011 Scott CX Team/Koobi Xenon
    2005 Bike Friday NWT/Selle Royal Lookin
    2001 Bianchi Giro/Terry Butterfly Ti
    1970s Centurion Le Mans/Ancient waffle saddle

Are you really comfortable riding in fast groups? Are you a confident bike handler? Do you have great health insurance? Just some things to consider.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by redrhodie View Post
    Are you really comfortable riding in fast groups? Are you a confident bike handler? Do you have great health insurance? Just some things to consider.
    She's talking cross not road.... group riding skills not much of an issue (there's a mass start, but it's more like a mt bike race, there's some passing, but everyone sorts out more or less into a line rather than riding near one another because the courses are not particularly wide and can even have single track) and while you can get hurt falling in cross, it is relatively unusual to get anything more than some bumps and bruises because you are falling in the grass/dirt and aren't usually going super fast unless it is a steep descent (and it not particularly unusual to see people get off and run down technical/very steep descents.... it can be faster than crashing and having to get back up)

If you want to question anything - do you have a hose available and a good washing machine - then go for it. Many races have a beginner category for first timers.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Eden, you make it sound less scary than the crit race I did. Maybe I should try it.

I swore never again.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.