Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Carpet cleaners for pet stains?

To disable ads, please log-in.

So, my new kitty, Luna, has been having loose stools and peeing outside the box for about a week now. Usually I use some clorox wet wipes to get up the poop and then I use Nature's Miracle (the cat version that's supposed to keep them from revisiting areas) to clean everything else up. Well, under my piano where's she's been doing this, there are all these little brown spots and if I put my nose to the carpet, I can still smell elimination odors. My apartment doesn't smell, but the carpet does.

I was wondering if any of you had every tried the Bissel Spot Bot for pets? It seems perfect because then I can just put it over where she's peed or whatever and it's supposed to clean down fairly deeply (hopefully to the carpet pad) to remove the odor. People online seem to give it mixed reviews. It's about $150 so I wanted to make sure it's actually useful before I unload that amount of money on it.

Or if there's a better way to get stuff out of carpet for stains that are getting older by the minute... let me know.

Thanks!

I used to have a pretty frequent problem with pet stains when I had my boxer. Puking/pooping + light cream carpets was a nightmare. I had a Bissell Little Green Machine, and I LOVED it. It did a fantastic job of getting the stains out. I have found that the actual cleaning solution is almost more important than the machine, though. Some definitely work better than others. I'll try to remember to edit my post when I'm home and give you names of the ones I've found work well.

I second the little green machine. Not sure about the other stuff. My bunny can't control his bodily functions right now because of cancer, but I've found that plain white vinegar will clean it up very nicely - plus it's cheap. Pets have an aversion to the strong odor too. If smell gets to be a problem, you can also try sprinkling some baking soda over the area.
    2011 Specialized Crux, aka (Toxic Honey)
    I'm faster in kilometers!

I have a SpotBot and it's awesome! It also has a hand-held hose like the Green Machine, which works great for stains that might not fit the size of the SpotBot scrubber.

It is important to use the right solutions, though.

If your kitty has made so many stains under your piano, though, I would consider having it professionally cleaned all at once and then get a SpotBot for the occasional accident.
    2014 Bobbin Bramble / Brooks B67
    2008 Rodriguez Rainier Mirage / Terry Butterfly Tri Gel
    2007 Dahon Speed Pro TT / Biologic Velvet
    1998? GT Rebound / Serfas Gel

I'll 3rd the little green machine. My mom actually got us ours for Christmas a few years ago. Odd Christmas present, but it definitely works and I'm glad she got it for us.

I rarely use my spot bot because friends and family are always borrowing it because it is AWESOME. For 6 yrs I had a renal failure kitty who threw up a LOT. I bought the bot after a couple years of constantly having to try and clean up spots here and there. (why oh why do cats literally run from the linoleum to the carpet as they are preparing to throw up?)

The bot did such a great job on all the spots (including poo ones as well).

Two thumbs up from me for the spot bot!
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!

Possegal, I've often asked that same question. Linoleum is so much easier to clean. For that matter so is the wood floors that our livingroom and office have, but the cats still want to throw up on the carpet.

My cat and dogs prefer fabric to throw up, I don't know why. I have a Spot Bot that was given to me, I think it works great for small clean ups. But I agree you might want to get it cleaned and then invest in one.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Quote Originally Posted by Koronin View Post
    Possegal, I've often asked that same question. Linoleum is so much easier to clean. For that matter so is the wood floors that our livingroom and office have, but the cats still want to throw up on the carpet.
    Exactly! It is a mystery and I'm clearly not the only one whose cat does that. It's like my Chelsea-cat would run to make it to the carpet so she could throw up. Silly kitty.
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!