Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jersey Sizing is Frustrating, Need Brand to Try

To disable ads, please log-in.

Been away for a bit (gaming convention kept me busy). I went to Performance's sale yesterday with a friend and decided to poke around the clothes to look for a jersey while he decided on wheels. I realize that athletic clothing is going to run on the slimmer fit side but boy am I glad I haven't ordered anything online! I tried on L and XL of Pearl Izumi, Primal and Terry and nothing seemed to fit. Granted I was trying them over my shirt so I didn't have to hunt down a fitting room key but, wow. I normally wear a M/L in women's and a S in men's (those freebie giveaway shirts at work). I'm 5' 5.5" and pear shaped, very wide hips no matter if I'm sporting an 8 or a 10/12 and small chested (sports bras make me completely flat). The consistent problem is that none of those jerseys fit around the hips/tummy area until I found some XXL Pearl Izumi shoved on the back of a rack but it was so huge in the bust it was comical. Completely frustrated that women's sizing apparently only increases at the bust and assumes a M and XL have the same waistline and doesn't size up proportionally. So I'm looking for a brand that might accommodate wide hips/small chest a little better. If it needs to be an XL fine, but it's got to be cut correctly. I tried an M men's Pearl Izumi but it was way too snug in the hips. If men's might be a better fit I'm completely fine going that route too. As my mom says, if the size bothers me that much, cut the tag out.

Interestingly I haven't had any problems finding shorts/pants, I bought an L in Novara but had to return them for an L Pearl Izumi only because the stitching was unraveling on the chamois in the Novara's after two short rides, not busting out a sewing machine on two week old shorts that cost that much!
    2011 Trek Lexa SLX "Silver Surfer"
    1998 Specialized HardRock AX FS

Quote Originally Posted by trickycoolj View Post
    Been away for a bit (gaming convention kept me busy). I went to Performance's sale yesterday with a friend and decided to poke around the clothes to look for a jersey while he decided on wheels. I realize that athletic clothing is going to run on the slimmer fit side but boy am I glad I haven't ordered anything online! I tried on L and XL of Pearl Izumi, Primal and Terry and nothing seemed to fit. Granted I was trying them over my shirt so I didn't have to hunt down a fitting room key but, wow. I normally wear a M/L in women's and a S in men's (those freebie giveaway shirts at work). I'm 5' 5.5" and pear shaped, very wide hips no matter if I'm sporting an 8 or a 10/12 and small chested (sports bras make me completely flat). The consistent problem is that none of those jerseys fit around the hips/tummy area until I found some XXL Pearl Izumi shoved on the back of a rack but it was so huge in the bust it was comical. Completely frustrated that women's sizing apparently only increases at the bust and assumes a M and XL have the same waistline and doesn't size up proportionally. So I'm looking for a brand that might accommodate wide hips/small chest a little better. If it needs to be an XL fine, but it's got to be cut correctly. I tried an M men's Pearl Izumi but it was way too snug in the hips. If men's might be a better fit I'm completely fine going that route too. As my mom says, if the size bothers me that much, cut the tag out.

Interestingly I haven't had any problems finding shorts/pants, I bought an L in Novara but had to return them for an L Pearl Izumi only because the stitching was unraveling on the chamois in the Novara's after two short rides, not busting out a sewing machine on two week old shorts that cost that much!
    Look for women's jerseys without elastic. Someone with a pear shape is NEVER going to be happy with elasticized waist jerseys.
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

You can also try looking at the men's jerseys. Most women's jerseys don't fit me right (too tight in the shoulder area), so I've just totally stopped even bothering with women's jerseys and only shop the men's dept. I agree with Susan to look for jersey's without elastic, also look for ones that don't have as much of a V-shape and more of a straight shape. The V-shape and elastic aren't issues for me. They just don't seem to think women have wider shoulders. Most of the X-large women's jerseys won't fit my shoulders let alone anything smaller, so I basically end up in the men's dept and most of my jerseys are men's mediums.

I can tell you some brands NOT to try - Castelli or Luna or Louis Garneau. I'm snake hipped (read: no hips) and flat, and in these two brands I have to wear a size up from every other brand to get them to fit anywhere.

You might try Craft - I really like their jersies and they don't have elastic in the bottom. I bought it because it was very long waisted and I have a very long torso, but I think it would definitely be wide enough to fit over someone's hips.

Primal has been my best fit in a jersey. I normally take a medium shirt and I take an XL in the primal shirt. Weird isn't it?
    “Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes.”.
    ~Oscar Wilde

Type One Diabetes
    currently using Medtronic MiniMed
    Revel 723 with CGMS

Perhaps look at Shebeest and/or Terry jerseys.
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

Quote Originally Posted by RubyTuesday View Post
    Primal has been my best fit in a jersey. I normally take a medium shirt and I take an XL in the primal shirt. Weird isn't it?
    I like Primal Wear, too (also have to size-up). And Twin Six (fit me perfect in my regular clothing size). I have a very hour-glass figure (big boobs, small ribcage and waist, average hips, big butt and thighs). I cannot do ANY jerseys with elastic at the waist, like Susan pointed-out.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I can see why Primal fits us both then. While I have no boobs, we are built the same otherwise. Why God.....why no boobs?
    “Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes.”.
    ~Oscar Wilde

Type One Diabetes
    currently using Medtronic MiniMed
    Revel 723 with CGMS

Quote Originally Posted by RubyTuesday View Post
    I can see why Primal fits us both then. While I have no boobs, we are built the same otherwise. Why God.....why no boobs?
    'Cause I took your share (D AFTER breast reduction surgery), muwahahahahaha!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I second Twin Sixx for the hourglass figure, Hate that they lack selection but what they do have is bad ***.

Look for jerseys that are described as "touring" or "relaxed." Shebeest and Terry some some offerings in this regard, although I'm not sure if Shebeest is still in business. That's too bad since their "Bellisima" jerseys have a nice relaxed fit. Avoid anything described as having a "race" or "athletic" fit. Susan, of course, is right in suggesting you avoid elastic. I'm not sure I'd describe myself as a true pear, but I just don't like what elastic hems do for me.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

it is also not so hard to unpick the bottom seam, remove the elastic and rehem the bottom of the jersey. Probably a lot easier if you have a zig zag sewing machine or serger rather than by hand but still. I have broad shoulders, no boobs, and broad hips so most of my jerseys have had their elastic removed.

marni
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

I second (third, fourth?) Twin Six. I love how they fit on me. I'm just all around big. But I think their fit is very good for someone with hips.

I too wish they had more of a selection though.
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!

Second the She Beest. I have a similar problem and my SheBeest club cut is a great comfortable fit. No elastic in the waist either:

Plus this is a really simple and cute jersey:
    http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodSB_1501.html
    Help me reach my $8,000 goal for the American Lung Association! Riding Seattle to D.C. for clean air! http://larissaridesforcleanair.org
    http://action.lungusa.org/goto/larissapowers

If you have someplace like an REI or any bike shop with a wide selection, just take a day when you have some time to try a bunch of them in a fitting room. Everybody is so different, you have to just experiment to see what works for you.
    Jen