Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bike Options?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by WindingRoad View Post
    That's a bum deal breaking your ankle on a complete whim! Hope SMC gets better soon

I'd love any and all help Catrin AND/OR IndySteel wants to give me with this mountain biking bit. I don't plan to ever go out by myself again. I really think being alone scared me in some ways worse than just the crash itself. It's an awful feeling knocking yourself silly and realizing that no one knows where you are. Buddy system from here on out!

No need to do what you are uncomfortable doing I find I like going out by myself, but someone generally knows where I am and I text them when I am done. She knows who to call to come looking for me should something happen and I don't check in I am less self-conscious working on new things solo, but it is very nice to ride with others as well. Nothing wrong with the buddy system, for sure.

Are you planning on clipping in from the beginning or starting with a good pair of BMX or other platform pedals?

Brian and I usually head out to BCSP every weekend/every other weekend weather depending. We're going on vacation soon, but hope to make it out there sometime this weekend. We're camping there the weekend of the 15th. You just let me know if you'd like to meet. Of course, we don't need to meet at Brown County, but I tend to think that you might want to take a lap around Pine Loop after some drills. You just need to get your mojo back.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Might I suggest hitting the beginners loop at ft Harrison before heading to brown county? Pine is indeed a beginners loop, but thus other trail is even less technical and would allow you a chance to start getting the feel of things a bit before Pine.

Until the snow flies I will be at BCSP every Saturday that I can make it and will camp every weekend that I can afford it. Next Saturday I will be at the Hope Ride. Of course we dont have to meet in Brown County...

Hey WR...
    First off. Love the new commuter (I know off topic, but I kinda lust after Salsas) *and* your new MTB.

Back on topic.

Realize you don't know me, but I think Indy and Catrin would vouch for me. I'll be down at BCSP the late afternoon of the 16th and morning of the 17th. If you wanted someone to try Pine Loop and LimeKiln with, happy to do so. I'm a pretty new MTBer. Plan on pushing myself a bit out there (which means maybe, just maybe if I get my nerve, doing Green Valley). But I really love LimeKiln. So would be glad to ride a couple of out and backs if you wanted to come down Saturday morning. I just have to leave by 12-1pm and head to STL. The Foo Fighters will be anxiusly awaiting my arrival. (or something like that(
    Kim

Specialized Dolce Sport Compact (roadie)
    Specialized Ariel Sport Disc (commuter)
    Trek GF X-Caliber WSD (mtb)
    "Sally" Schwinn Mesa Runner (steel, old, old stand-by)

My blog - this, that, travel, garden, bikes, fitness, family, whatever

I'll vouch for Kim! She's more experienced than either Catrin or myself. I'm bummed I'm going to miss her this visit.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    I'll vouch for Kim! She's more experienced than either Catrin or myself. I'm bummed I'm going to miss her this visit.
    Same here...I will be doing the Hope Ride the day she is available.

Kim - I just got back to notice this, unfortunately I work both of those days. I would have definitely taken you up on that had I been free. Raincheck maybe?
    Thanks for the mutual Salsa love, lol. I love that bike, it makes me want to go to work just for the ride

Here's the pics of my new Cypher I JUST got to ride it for the first time around the neighborhood so far so good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cypher1.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	13727   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cypher2.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	13728   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cypher3.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	13729   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cypher4.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	118.4 KB 
ID:	13730  

Neato, WR. Has anyone helped you set up the suspension? In my limited experience, it may take some time and more than a few rides to tweak it to your liking, and you may want to make additional tweaks depending on specific trail conditions. My shop set up the Juliana based initially on my weight. After a few rides, though, DH and I reset both the fork and shock and played around with the settings. It's still a work in progress to some degree as I've gotten a feel for the bike. I would suggest reading the instructions on Fox's website how to do that. I also had to do some independent reading to get a better understanding of certain terms, e.g., rebound, dampening, sag. It's a whole different world from road bikes.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

You will need to put a few miles on that suspension to break the seals before a sag test can be done - that is optimum to get the best fitting on the suspension (Nebo Ridge was very clear about that). Will your LBS do that as part of your new bike fit?

Beautiful bike! She looks very close to the same color as my Gunnar - can't wait to see it in person!

You know, before I hit the trails I would take my Jamis over to Eagle Creek and ride in the large grassy area back in the circle drive to help me adjust to the feel of my bike and shifting. There are small things to roll over, trees to circle, and the ground surface differs though it is flat. Not a bad place to play, the only thing that would make it better would be a grassy hill
    Last edited by Catrin; 09-16-2011 at 09:05 AM.

You might find this from Giant's website helpful, too.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Ok so now that I've got to ride my bike some I have discovered that my rear shock is blown out?!?! I have not really been able to ride it but maybe 5-6 times. As anyone who rides off road with me knows, I am certainly not doing any crazy jumps. I haven't had the bike for more than a year yet so I am correct to assume that their is a warranty from either Giant or Fox?

Ok so now that I've got to ride my bike some I have discovered that my rear shock is blown out?!?! I have not really been able to ride it but maybe 5-6 times. As anyone who rides off road with me knows, I am certainly not doing any crazy jumps. I haven't had the bike for more than a year yet so I am correct to assume that their is a warranty from either Giant or Fox?
    Is it possible that it just needs air? I am sure you would have already checked that but wanted to mention it just in case. When they did the SAG test when you originally had the suspension set up for your weight they should have told you at what pressure it should be set.

I just brought it to a local shop yesterday and it is aired up and they did help me tweak things a bit more too. I dunno if you remember my friend we rode with on the beginners trail in Indy but her shock would always lock out and the lever felt like it was actually doing something when you pushed it. I know this shock doesn't do a complete lock out but from what I can tell and the shop guy could tell its not doing anything when you adjust the lever.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Is it possible that it just needs air? I am sure you would have already checked that but wanted to mention it just in case. When they did the SAG test when you originally had the suspension set up for your weight they should have told you at what pressure it should be set.

I just brought it to a local shop yesterday and it is aired up and they did help me tweak things a bit more too. I dunno if you remember my friend we rode with on the beginners trail in Indy but her shock would always lock out and the lever felt like it was actually doing something when you pushed it. I know this shock doesn't do a complete lock out but from what I can tell and the shop guy could tell its not doing anything when you adjust the lever.
    Sounds like a warranty issue to me... I figured you had checked the air but had to ask