Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Credit info breached

To disable ads, please log-in.

I received an e-mail from an on-line company that I ordered from once a couple of years ago that their computers had been breached within the last two weeks and customer account info. taken included name, address, credit card number, expiration, and email address. I have checked the credit card account and there are no unauthorized charges. I set some alerts so that I will be texted and/or e-mailed if a suspicious charge shows up. What else should I do?

Grits

2010 Trek 5.2 Madone WSD, SI Diva Gel Flow
    2002 Terry Classic, Terry Liberator

Answering my own question, but if anyone has any additional things, please post. These are guidelines given after Citigroup was hacked.

No. 1: Look at your financial statements. Check your account online and see if your credit card has been used without your authorization, Krehel said.

No. 2: Reset passwords. Citigroup may have already reset passwords for those who have been affected, he said, but as a precaution you should change your passwords for online accounts.

No. 3: Be wary. In the wake of a breach, Krehel said to be suspicious of correspondence with financial companies.

"Sometimes data taken from these breaches is used for phishing or mailing to consumers," he said. "You want to verify with the bank that they really sent this to you."

No. 4: Consider unique passwords. Don't use the same passwords for all of your accounts, Krehel said, and when changing them use a unique password with letters, numbers and symbols for each account you have.

No. 5: Change your security questions. Major breaches in the past – such as the hackings of Sarah Palin and Paris Hilton -- occurred because the hackers knew the answers to their security questions, Krehel said. As an added precaution, change those questions as well.

No. 6: Update your security programs. Make sure all of your antivirus protection software is up-to-date, so you will be an even harder person to target for hacking, Krehel said.

Read more: http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-...#ixzz1WixuSruR

Grits

2010 Trek 5.2 Madone WSD, SI Diva Gel Flow
    2002 Terry Classic, Terry Liberator

How about call that credit card company, ask for their fraud department, and see what they would recommend?

If you don't have stuff auto billing (and even if you do), I would ask them to issue a new card number as a precaution. They're generally happy to do so.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

I had this happen to me a few years back...only I did see unauthorized charges on my card because I too, had set up email alerts whenever a transaction over $1 went through. Suddenly I started seeing alerts coming to me for $1 iTunes transactions that I never made...this is what the thieves were using to "test" my card. Unfortunately, they were able to use the card for a total of about $600 before I alerted my credit card company to cancel the card. I swear those email alerts are the best thing ever. Had it not been for those alerts, I would not have noticed the charges until my statement arrived in the mail...and who knows how much the thieves could have racked up in charges by that point. Perhaps calling your credit card company and letting them know that your card info may have been compromised, might be a good thing to do. They may take extra care and precautions when a transaction for that card goes through to make sure it's not a bogus charge.
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

I would ask them to issue a new card number as a precaution.
    That's what I'd do, too.
    2001 Cannondale R500 <3
    2011 Specialized Ruby Elite Apex
    2021 Tangential Speedarama

Yup. Cancel the card and ask for a new one.

I'd also ask for a new card number.

Call your issuer

let them know. They will issue you a new card and transfer everything over. If they got your ssn, issue fraud alerts. Call all three credit bureaus. You don't want to wait for fraudulent charges. They will happen. It's more of a hassle to clean it up than prevent it, especially if your issuer finds out you knew and didn't report it. They have to investigate the breach. And, the merchant's processor will most likely notify Visa and MC, and the issue. And, other cardholders have been affected and the issuer needs to know. I work for a credit card processor, and I've had mine breached three times. I also know about the PCI compliance regulations a merchant must adhere to. Please call your bank and let them handle it.

Aaaand now I'm going to go change all my financial passwords and email alerts. This happens so frequently it's disheartening.
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    2003 Cannondale Bad Boy
    Motobecane Nobly (60's or 70's)

I recommend that you ...

... call the major credit agencies: Equifax, TRW, that other one I forget ... you can specify that they not allow any applications for credit/loan/cards/accounts unless verified as originating from you. I don't know how they verify that.

This is something to do anyway as companies will run your credit without your permission. This can mess with your FICO score (looks like you're trying to take out more loans).

While your at it let them know your credit info may have been compromised.

You may be entitled to a free credit report if you feel their may be errors. I'd ask for one, and follow up to get one yearly. Report any errors immediately.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    ... call the major credit agencies: Equifax, TRW, that other one I forget ... you can specify that they not allow any applications for credit/loan/cards/accounts unless verified as originating from you. I don't know how they verify that.
    There's one problem with this: some companies decide that they don't want to do the extra work and wither won't extend credit or will require a deposit (utility company) rather than go through the extra verification. I ended up paying a large deposit to a natural gas company when I had a fraud alert on my credit because "they don't verify." Sucky - but that's what they did.

Promotional inquiries do not change your FICO score. But they are annoying as heck because you get pre-approved junk mail. There is a very easy 5 year opt out that one can do - it's free. I just re-did mine because I started getting the junk mail again (it had expired).

You can also get a free credit report from each bureau I think it's yearly....

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
    Promotional inquiries do not change your FICO score. But they are annoying as heck because you get pre-approved junk mail. There is a very easy 5 year opt out that one can do - it's free. I just re-did mine because I started getting the junk mail again (it had expired).
    I opted out of that in part because I don't have a locking mail box. Mail theft happens and with a pre-approved application

You can also get a free credit report from each bureau I think it's yearly....
    I think it's yearly too. If you know or suspect there are errors, if you've been denied anything such as a loan or even a job you can get one yearly. Each inquiry has the form and instructions of how to dispute errors.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Where do you do this?
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    2003 Cannondale Bad Boy
    Motobecane Nobly (60's or 70's)

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
    Where do you do this?
    Lots of information (including the website link) here.

The direct link for the opt out website is here. I checked a few places to make sure this was legit (including the FTC website linked above) before submitting my info.

I signed up for that opt-out about a year ago and it doesn't seem to have had any effect at all.

The worst part of it is the "identity theft kits" that come in the mail from the credit card companies and banks I already do business with (so they're exempt from the opt-out anyway).

The convenience of dealing with big banks is hard to beat, but the more hassles they create around that kind of stuff, the more likely I am to do what I should've been doing along, and only deal with regional and local banks.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler