Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Where Do You Mount Your Headlights?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Most of my riding is on the road in an urban setting during the day. I have a Nite Rider MiNewt 250 rechargeable with high/medium/low and strobe mode. I typically don't ride when it's pitch black with darkness, but once in awhile I'm caught out somewhere. During the winter when it gets dark at 4:30 p.m. it's helpful, not so much for me to illuminate my path to see where I'm going (the city has plenty of lights), but more for cars and other to see ME. Even on bright sunny days I run my strobe to add as much visibility as possible. I have this light mounted on my handlebars.

I have a two spots (eyelets) on my forks where I could attach one of these-a Paul "Gino" light mount then attach my light to it:
    http://www.paulcomp.com/ginolightmount.html

My car headlight is about 25" up from the ground; the mid fork eyelet on my bike is about 20" up from the ground. I know having my light lower to the ground would illuminate my path better, but the primary reason I have the light is to draw attention to myself so that drivers of cars can see me.

My question is would drivers see my light best mounted up on my handlebars or mid-fork (my left side while on the bike). In part I just don't want a bunch of stuff on my handle bars. I did the measurement of my car's headlights because I was thinking that drivers are used to looking lower for lights. I've tried to google articles on this subject but couldn't find any.

Thanks for your insights, thoughts, opinions, arguments, etc. (not that I'm saying you're argumentative)
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls & looks like work" - Thomas Edison

The light's brightness and where you are riding are probably more important than height. When I bought the Reelights from my son, they are designed to mount at the axle. I mounted them about mid-fork height. If he needs, he also has a light that attaches to his handlebars.

My mongo light on the SUB is mounted in front of and below my handlebars, but that is so I can reach the switch while riding.

What I have found it to not ride too far right, so whatever light you do have does not blend into the lights along the sidewalk (shops and such). Also, flashing mode will help separate you from other lights, as well.

I'm like you, I like unobstructed handlebars.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '89 Bridgestone Radac Dura-Ace | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1 | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1.2 (balloon tire bike) | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '93 Bridgestone MB-5 (my SUB*) | Specialized Lithia, 143

My blog: Portlandia Pedaler (at Blogger)

Thanks for the input. I finally found some actual studies but they were on overall cyclist visibility from the perspective of cars.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls & looks like work" - Thomas Edison