Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

More fun with a ContourHD helmet cam-this time a steep sufferfest

To disable ads, please log-in.

My Contour was very well behaved during yesterday's climbfest. I had a few problems with it last week, but hopefully I've fixed them now.

I climbed Jurgens and Luneman Roads in El Dorado County. Both roads meet at the bottom at a creek crossing. From what I've read about this ride, most riders have to take their shoes off and wade across. Since all I wanted to do was climb, not get my feet dirty, I chose to descend Jurgens and Luneman and climb back out.

On the way to the first climb (Jurgens), my Kodak Playsport's tripod hole finally gave up the ghost and the camera flopped out of the mount. It was recording, of course. I chose to have a second camera recording as a back-up in case the Contour failed. It left a good sized chunk of plastic behind in the handlebar mount.

Garmin Connect data: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/108467017

Video of my Playsport falling off the mount.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ndu6GhxfSw

Video from the ContourHD of the Jurgens/Luneman climbs.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_NanMq4-xw

Bottom of Jurgens Road

Creek crossing from the Jurgens Road side

Luneman Road steep switchback

Piece from the Playsport that was left behind in the handlebar mount

What the Playsport's tripod hole looks like now. Needless to say, this camera definitely isn't waterproof any more.

Those looked like tough climbs. I scanned the Garmin stats and thought 'wow'. You're rode for over 4 hrs in that terrain and heat, and covered quite a distance too. Is that right? How long does it take you to recover by the way i.e. when can you tackle the next ride?

Quote Originally Posted by Sardine View Post
    Those looked like tough climbs. I scanned the Garmin stats and thought 'wow'. You're rode for over 4 hrs in that terrain and heat, and covered quite a distance too. Is that right? How long does it take you to recover by the way i.e. when can you tackle the next ride?
    You're right. Since I've lost most of the fat (still have 20 more pounds to go), my heat tolerance on climbs has improved a little. Keep in mind that Garmin temperature readings are often way too high, due to the sun beating down on the unit. I think the temps were closer to 80, not 90 like the Garmin page says.

I ride every day, but since I live in the flatlands my local rides are never grueling. Fat-burning, occasionally fast, but never as hard as the hilly rides. Usually I feel pretty good the next day. When I rented the cars and climbed mountains Saturday and Sunday on my Dahon folder, I usually felt stronger on the Sunday climb.