Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

The next generation...

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi all,

I haven't been around much for a while, but had to share. My 3 year old daughter just got her first bike - a balance bike - last month. I was getting ready to head out on a ride, and she wanted to take a picture together with our bikes before I left, and I thought it turned out so sweet. Can't wait until we can really ride together.

P.S...she's really cruising on that thing already. They learn so fast!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG0180.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	13620  
    2007 Trek 5000
    2009 Jamis Coda
    1972 Schwinn Suburban

"I rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a bike. It gives her a feeling of self-reliance and independence the moment she takes her seat; and away she goes, the picture of untrammelled womanhood."
    Susan B. Anthony, 1896

Awwww Too cute!

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

That is so adorable!
    Happily at the center of a poly V with my bikes
    -"Cookie Monster" 2001 Motiv Mountain converted for commuting. My little monster.
    -"Bella" Concord Freedom10- My little project. Sweat and blood, pretty girl <3

I have a 3 year old granddaughter. What does a balance bike do?

What a lovely sentiment and cute photo. She wants to be like her mom! See they do follow our actions. You are setting such a nice example for her. Thanks for sharing.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls & looks like work" - Thomas Edison

It's a bike with no pedals, where the kid can scoot along and learn to coast, so they get the feel of riding, without the training wheels step.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

That grin is priceless!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    It's a bike with no pedals, where the kid can scoot along and learn to coast, so they get the feel of riding, without the training wheels step.
    can you get training wheels for it later? hum.. doesn't sound like it. Sounds like something they ride more in the house. right?

Cuteness!!! I love seeing girls out when I'm riding!
    Be yourself, to the extreme!

That smile!
    She's precious.

@tytbody, once the child learns balance on this type of bike they typically don't require training wheels. Training wheels may give mental confidence but don't do much in the way of teaching balance.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls & looks like work" - Thomas Edison

That's right. You just let the kid scoot along and eventually, they lift their feet, steer, and they have balanced and steered, just as you would if you were pedaling. This way of teaching riding is much more in tune with the way the brain works and kids learn.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

What Crankin said - The seat on the bike is quite low, so she can easily put her feet down, stand up, whatever. No need for training wheels - her feet keep her upright. At first, she'd put one foot up behind her and push with one side, and now she's able to get a good run and tuck both feet up, coasting. I think a common brand is Strider - they had good videos on their site. This one is a Raleigh I found at REI. Just need to get a little basket and a bell on it for her now.

Thanks all. She really is as sweet as she looks.

ETA: It's definitely for outside! Knobby tires eat up the bumps in the sidewalk/path - and it's very light, so she can use it on the grass pretty easily.
    2007 Trek 5000
    2009 Jamis Coda
    1972 Schwinn Suburban

"I rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a bike. It gives her a feeling of self-reliance and independence the moment she takes her seat; and away she goes, the picture of untrammelled womanhood."
    Susan B. Anthony, 1896

Three is such a perfect age - all they want is to be like you, do like you and help you...enjoy...And you're right - they learn so fast!

All you need is love...la-dee-da-dee-da...all you need is love!

What a sweet picture of you and your daughter! We got my son a Strider right before his 2nd birthday, thinking that it would be a year or more before he learned to ride it. Three months later, he is *flying* on that thing! He is completely obsessed with his bike, and it's pretty much his favorite activity.

On a related note, I was away at a class the other evening, and my partner reports that my son asked "Where mama go? Bike store?"

I guess he is not the only one who is obsessed.
    Gillian
    Surly LHT
    Surly Big Dummy!