Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: what to try?

what to try?

To disable ads, please log-in.

OK, I never thought I'd be starting a thread on saddles, but I need a new one. I currently have a Terry Falcon X on both of my bikes. I've had them for 6 years. The left side of saddle on my road bike is totally worn out/degraded, on the side and part of the top. My sit bones are 130, I hate gel, and I need a cut out. I've always had problems with soft tissue pain, only on the left side, until last year, I actually tipped the nose of the saddle up. It improved, but comes back in cycles. In fact, everything on my left side hurts... I do not have a leg length discrepancy, but I think I have a pelvic discrepancy. I've been to orthopedic docs, PTs, my rheumatologist, and no one knows what is going on, except that when I started riding longer distances, the pain on my left side started. It's been suggested that I have some root nerve damage, but the saddle has been fine since I tilted it up, until just recently. I tried a Brooks saddle a few years ago and I HATED it. My azz hurt the whole time.
    Basically, I am crooked, you can see it when you ride behind me. I have pretty good core strength and I really try to be aware of my position when I ride.
    I glanced at the Selle Anatomica ones that seem to be popular, but they all are so wide. I not only need a new saddle for my road bike, but something for the bike I am building.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I have almost the same problem as you after a broken hip, unfortunately wider seat bones. I would take a look at the selle italia max flite, it has the measurements you need and the flexibility, also the specialized ruby. Just a suggestion everyone is different but I hope that helps.
    2009 Specialized Roubaix pro/SMP lite 209
    2010 Trek 4300/Specialized ariel 155

I've got a nice hefty pelvic obliquity which is solved by a sprung saddle. (Brooks B67) The springs don't bounce. They let the saddle give under my low side and even me out nicely relative to the pedals.

You could always put extra padding over a sprung leather saddle if you needed more cush, but I'd suggest trying a sprung saddle of some sort for the one-sided pain.

(Something narrow like a sprung Brooks Champion Flyer http://www.wallbike.com/champion-flyer and a cushy cover over the leather? Free 6 months trial period through www.wallbike.com would at least let you see if springs solve the obliquity issues.)
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 08-21-2011 at 08:31 AM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

OK, thanks for the suggestions.
    I actually had another Terry Falcon X in our "inventory." DH buys 2 of everything if it is on sale. Put it on for a 23 mile ride this afternoon and it felt so much better. So, some of the recent issue may just be that I needed a new saddle. Duh, the old one had at least 15K on it.
    I probably will try the Selle Italia and the Ruby, to start. I just can't put a Brooks saddle on my Kuota... I know, it's a stupid roadie thing, but the one I had was almost as big as the bike. I think they are cool for different types of bikes, though.
    I am going for my Retul fit on Wed. I will start by asking for a saddle (s) to demo, by putting it on my Kuota and then hopefully, it will work for the Guru they are building up for me. I don't necessarily have to have the same on both bikes.
    Oy, my bike is having little fits about everything. I mentioned to DH I felt a wobble yesterday and one of my Easton wheels had degraded. Luckily, DH had a set of Dura Ace wheels left over from his Trek and put them on. Then, on our ride, it started ghost shifting. He is now working on that.
    Thankfully, I have my own personal bike mechanic.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport