Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Tortoise View Post
    In reading reviews about road tires, some people commented the Gatorskins were slippery on wet surfaces. The exact model (ultra and something else I think) was not always mentioned but does that sound right?

Besides resistance to road debris, any other thoughts on feel and handling of the Diamante or Gatorskins? Thanks!

(Oak, thanks for mentioning handling on the GP4000. First one I've seen mention anything like that.)
    I ride Gatorskins all winter here in Portland where it's nothing but wet, and I've never noticed them being slippery. I also love the conti GP4000s. Those are my rest of the year tires.

I just replaced my worn Vittoria Open Corsa CXs that I found too hard and uncomfortable, with Hutchinson Fusion2s and find them much more better. They feel light and responsive, handle the sand patches with aplomb, and ride much better than I thought they would based on appearance. They have less air volume then the Corsas, and don't look like 23c- they look thinner.

I'm glad I did not get the Fusion 3s though, the reviews I have read mentioned a weak bead and people are complaining of the bead failing and the sidewalls blowing ouit. The Fusion 2 does not seem to have that issue. I like them, but I think they are discontinued.

Another tire I like is the Vredstein Tricomp. They didn't last as long as the Corsas, but had a much better ride- smoother and not as jarring.
    Tzvia- rollin' slow...
    Specialized Ruby Expert/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Specialized SWorks Safire/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Giant Anthem-W XT-XTR/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Fuji Newest 3 commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Novara E.T.A commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL

Thanks, Jbubble. Winter in Portland, now there's a traction test.

Tzvia I hadn't thought of Hutchinson Fusion2, thanks. My first set of tires were Hutchinson and I hated them but am now realizing they may have been a very cheap model and that's why they didn't last.

dt

I ended up getting a Specialized armadillo. I had a groupon for the Specialized store, so I didn't have many options. Really hard to get on the wheel, I sure hope they live up to their reputation of being puncture resistant!

They have a customer who has over 10,000 miles on these tires.

I may try the Conti GP4000 next.

I'll report back if I notice anything spectacular -- good or bad when I take it for the first spin.

In reading reviews about road tires, some people commented the Gatorskins were slippery on wet surfaces.
    I wonder if its due to the slightly stiffer sidewalls? Generally Conti are popular here in rain.
    Lots of folks run way too much air pressure too...that will make a tire mis-behave in all kinds of ways....in addition to being slow and uncomfortable.
    Last edited by Seajay; 08-23-2011 at 06:50 PM. Reason: mispl

Quote Originally Posted by Seajay View Post
    I wonder if its due to the slightly stiffer sidewalls? Generally Conti are popular here in rain.
    Lots of folks run way too much air pressure too...that will make a tire mis-behave in all kinds of ways....in addition to being slow and uncomfortable.
    I'm always baffled at the high pressures some people run thinking it's making them faster. Just because the tire says it can handle 120psi doesn't mean you should run 120psi.

Love Conti 4-seasons. I also use Michelin Butyl tubes. They aren't sexy race tubes but they seem to resist punctures better. Had been getting slime tires for years but lately (last few years) the valves are garbage & the tube fails.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Is there a difference between the Continental GP4000 S foldable tire and the Continental GP4000 S clincher?

Thanks!
    dt

I think all tubulars are foldable?? Anyway I'm pretty sure we're all talking about clinchers. I don't think the 4000 comes in a wire bead version (I just this minute found out it does come in a tubie!), but I could be wrong about that.

FTR, what I run is the 4000, not the 4000S. I'm not really sure of the differences, but I think the "S" is racier, it's 10 g lighter (ooooh! ).
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Ok, dumb question: tubular means it takes a tube?

I thought I saw on Continental's website that 'S' stands for black in German. Of course now that I went back to the website to confirm that, I can't find it.

So what exactly does "clincher" mean?

Thanks,
    dt
    Last edited by Desert Tortoise; 09-01-2011 at 09:10 AM. Reason: mispelled "clincher"

Clinchers are tires that are open on the side facing the rim. They use a separate tube to hold air, and they have a bead that holds the tire under a "lip" on the rim.

Tubular tires are round and closed all the way around the integrated tube. They are made of textile with tread material on the outward-facing side. On the inside, they are sewn closed (which is why tubulars are sometimes called "sew-ups") and glued to the rim, which has a closed concave outer surface.

Because the glue takes some time to cure, if you have a flat, you pretty much need to have a spare wheel ready, which is why hardly anyone uses tubies outside of racing. The advantage is that they're as close to perfectly round as possible - which gives them great handling characteristics - and they can take a much higher pressure than clinchers.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Ok, dumb question: tubular means it takes a tube?

I thought I saw on Continental's website that 'S' stands for black in German. Of course now that I went back to the website to confirm that, I can't find it.

So what exactly does "clincher" mean?

Thanks,
    dt
    The S is the Black Chili compound. I think for really nitpick cyclists these matters.

I've had some of my friends ride on really cheap $19 tires, and it lasted over 5k miles for them, while for others it lasts 1k. OTOH - I've had cyclist friends that have $60 tires (per tire...that's $120 total), and they get flat after flat after flat...

Tubes are expensive....and if you have a gash. you have to buy a brand new tubes tires. They have no inner tubes, clinchers do. Don't even bother with them unless if you're a serious cyclist/racer.

Thanks for your help, Oak! I didn't know that about tubular tires. So that's why when people talk about tubular tires they either make a scrunchy face or get dreamy eyed.

Cyborg, ok the chili stuff.

Thanks!

dt

Yeah, tubulars are what you find on a lot of super expensive carbon wheelsets. You blow one of those and you're likely to be SOL. Unless you're a pro-racer with a team car following you, I'd stick with clinchers.
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155