Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Info needed for DC area

I am planning to do the following ride/commute. I am totally unfamiliar with the area and will be riding alone.
    On the WashingtonBike.org site, there is a map of 'safe areas' to bike, and not so safe areas to bike in and around DC. But the scale of the map is so small, I can't figure out if my planned ride/commute is safe or not. I will be doing this ride in mid-September.
    I need some input please. Thanks!
    Everyday I ride my bike is a good day.
    Chip Haynes, The Practical Cyclist.

Kona Ute 2009 (cargo bike).
    Rocky Mountain Metro 30 2008 (hybrid bike)

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Great ride! I used to ride much of that route when I lived in the area.
    The Anacostia Trail system can be a bit curving and confusing (lots of forks in the road), so you'll need to pay attention. I would not ride those trails at night, however.

If you can find an alternate route than riding on Michigan Avenue, that would be a good idea. Traffic on Michigan is very fast. I've ridden on it but I was not comfortable, and I am an experienced urban cyclist. You can usually find an alternate route in the city.

The rest is fine. There are some hills after you cross the DC line up to Catholic U area.