Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

What is your favorite sunscreen (on and off bike)

Hello

I am a sunscreen freak. I put it on every/single/day regardless of whether I am going to be in the office all day or outside doing something. Granted on work days I only put it on in the AM before I go to work, so by the time lunch rolls around and I've stepped outside to grab lunch it's probably gone... I need to improve on that.

At any rate, what's your sunscreen of choice?

I use Neutrogena Dry Touch 30 for the days I'm just going to work. Love that stuff. It really is "dry touch" and as a bonus it helps makeup glide on. But it's not sticky or smelly or anything.

When Neutrogena went to 45-55-70 etc and started using Helioplex, I've no doubt it's more of a broad based spectrum SPF but wow does it smell, does it burn, and does it leave me sticky (also clown white!). I hate it. Won't use it on my face (burns) and won't use it anywhere else unless I'm going to be outside for exercise and to be honest, not even that anymore. Why? Because Neutrogena came out with a dry-touch spray, 70 SPF and no doubt higher.. that actually is a lot closer to dry touch than the cream. It's slightly sticky, but not too bad. It dries quickly and doesn't feel clammy. I don't know if it covers as well as the cream. I spray all over and then massage it in to make sure I got it everywhere.

I'd love to find another fallback face sunscreen, and especially one that I can use on my face under makeup/before work (meaning gentle and truly invisible once you spread it). When I'm actually working out, outside, I don't mind smelly/sticky quite as much because I'm going to get plenty smelly and sticky on my own. haha

Thanks for posting this...I've actually been wondering about these sunblocks that can be applied once someone is already wet from swimming or sweaty. Are they any good? I HATE applying reapplying Coppertone Sport once I'm sweaty...it just melts-off. Other than that I really like Coopertone Sport lotions. I prefer the Neutrogena Sport stuff for face, though. The Coppertone Sport for Face burns.

Recently tried the Target Sport stuff and hate it...it's heavy and slimy. Really gross. Seems to sweat right off, too.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Is there a paraben-free zinc oxide (not TiO2) sunblock that doesn't separate?

I like Eco Logical quite a bit, but just like Badger brand, after a few weeks the oil separates. If I forget to work the tube before squeezing I get a spurt of clear oil all over everything. Yuk. Even if I do work the tube, it doesn't mix back in readily, so I get very thin oil with a little bit of sunblock in it.

I'm afraid if I stored it in the fridge it would be rock hard and impossible to apply. But maybe I should do that, since most of the time I apply it from my little half-contact-lens-case anyway
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

During the week when I am going to work and am going to be inside most of the day I use moisterizer with suncreen. Origins White Tea with SPF 25 for fact and Neutrogena for body. If am going out for a run/bike then will add sunscreen.

For face the only think that doesn't sting my eyes (and I tried many) is the All Terrian Aquasport. I usually use that on face and then Banana Boat Sport 30 for body.

I'm prone to rosacea, and my face has become increasingly sensitive to all sorts of lotion. Moreover, I don't wear makeup--I hate the feeling of anything on my skin other than my regular moisturizer. My dermatologist recommended Anthelios XL, and it's the only sunscreen I've ever been able to tolerate on my face. It's very light weight, so I don't notice it once it's on, and it doesn't irritate my skin the way many others do.

I love Bull Frog. It's hard to find. I get it at my local sporting goods store, but it seems to work better than anything I've found. And I'm white, white, white so I burn within about 20 minutes. You do have to work to rub it in though, so that's a bit of a drawback.
    Jen

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Is there a paraben-free zinc oxide (not TiO2) sunblock that doesn't separate?
    I've recently come to love Beyond Coastal's clear zinc. Spendy but worth it, IMO. And no whiteness. It's neato stuff.

It is, obviously, not water resistant. Beyond Coastal's water resistant product (called "active sunscreen") has zinc oxide, ti oxide, and avobenzone. I haven't tried it because of the avobenzone (which is the water resistant product in many other sunscreens that cost a lot less). I might try some on my next order. I think if one wants water resistant, we'll always see avobenzone (unfortunately). Beyond Coastal's active line got a 3 rating from EWG mostly because of the avobenzone.

Mychelle Sunshield

it doesn't have any toxic stuff, doesn't go on making you look like a ghost, doesn't make my face super shiny and doesn't make me break out. It also doesn't sting my eyes and is reef safe. I've used 3 tubes so far and haven't had an incident of it separating.

Plus Uno on the Mychelle stuff. It's clean and good, and works.