Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    Is there some practical reason that we're unaware of?
    I had flat bars with a shorter stem put on my bike a little while back because I was much heavier, out of shape, and being bent over for long periods of time made my lower back ache. I've since lost 36 pounds and am going back to drop bars!
    Last edited by Tiffany_S; 08-04-2011 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by radacrider View Post
    I suspect if you compare the stack heights and stem angles there will be enough difference to see why the handlebar heights are different. Then there are also those flat bars that also have a bit of up-sweep to them. Part of how I got my SUB drop bars a bit higher was a bit more length where the quill stem is inserted into the head tube and it has a up angle versus the road bike's stem is horizontal.
    Maybe....although my Trek FX didn't have a lot of stack, nor did it come with riser bars. Plus, a lot of road bikes today come stock with riser stems and, if they don't, it's any easy swap. In looking at the photos of both the Trek FX and the Specialized Sirrus, they don't appear to have a lot of stack. The Jamis Code has a bit more.

I don't doubt that some FB road bikes on the market (and just to be clear that I'm not talking about bikes that fall more squarely under the heading of "hybrid") probably do offer a more upright position than your average road bike. Moreover, there are certainly any number of road bikes on the market with more aggressive racing geometry. But I suspect that many FB bikes aren't as different in terms of geometry as some riders assume.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I'm new to road cycling and drops just seem... intimidating. There's something more professional and serious about them, whereas most people are comfortable with flats because it's what you had as a kid.

That being said, now that I'm getting a bit more serious and the rides are longer, my hands do suffer. My flat bar road bike has bar ends but if I upgrade at some point, I think I would like drops. My bike has road compact geometry and I'm comfotable but I'm more upright than I would be in drops. For me, going right into a road bike with drops would have been a bit overwhelming... I didn't want to deal with the different geometry, gearing, getting into shape, drops, etc all at once. Maybe some day.
    2008 Giant FCR2 W
    2001 Giant Rincon SE

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    Maybe....although my Trek FX didn't have a lot of stack, nor did it come with riser bars. Plus, a lot of road bikes today come stock with riser stems and, if they don't, it's any easy swap. In looking at the photos of both the Trek FX and the Specialized Sirrus, they don't appear to have a lot of stack. The Jamis Code has a bit more.

I don't doubt that some FB road bikes on the market (and just to be clear that I'm not talking about bikes that fall more squarely under the heading of "hybrid") probably do offer a more upright position than your average road bike. Moreover, there are certainly any number of road bikes on the market with more aggressive racing geometry. But I suspect that many FB bikes aren't as different in terms of geometry as some riders assume.
    Agree. I think marketing and such has a lot to do with it. I see a lot of newer road type commuters with the drop bar tops above the seat, so you can have a more upright position and drop bars.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '89 Bridgestone Radac Dura-Ace | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1 | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1.2 (balloon tire bike) | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '93 Bridgestone MB-5 (my SUB*) | Specialized Lithia, 143

My blog: Portlandia Pedaler (at Blogger)

One of the best things about my flatbars is the Brooks leather ring grips!
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

I'm actually considering selling my traditional road bike and getting a flat bar bike. Due to shifting and braking as others have mentioned. My bike is a Specialized Dolce, and I have the second set of brake levers on the flat part. I find use those brakes 90% of the time. Have never felt comfortable riding the drops on any road bike. And while I may ride some with hands on the hoods, I seem to reach back to the other brake levers to stop.

Plus reaching around the levers to shift has never been comfortable. We've adjusted them and adjusted them, changed stems. The whole gamut. Two different fitters have said the bike is right for me. And it is very comfortable to ride, but mentally I'm just note comfortable on it anywhere but up on hoods or flat bar.

I've also rented a couple of other road bikes, and really dislike not having the flat bar brake option. I have mountain bike and a hybrid (more of a mountain hybrid than road, has front suspension) I use as a commuter. I bought the hybrid due to the wider wheels and front suspension thinking I'd like that better commuting. Now wonder if I got a higher end flat bar road bike, put 25-28cc tires, if I wouldn't need both the road bike and the second commuter.

Esp. as I just bought a new MTB.
    Kim

Specialized Dolce Sport Compact (roadie)
    Specialized Ariel Sport Disc (commuter)
    Trek GF X-Caliber WSD (mtb)
    "Sally" Schwinn Mesa Runner (steel, old, old stand-by)

My blog - this, that, travel, garden, bikes, fitness, family, whatever

Kimikaw - how about having your LBS convert it from road bars to flat bars with appropriate shifters and brakes? I did that to my LHT last year - and while it isn't an inexpensive conversion - if you like the bike outside of the shifters and brake levers it might be a viable option for you.

Hey Catrin,

Considered having an LBS swap her out to flat bar, but on a bike that was barely above entry level road just doesn't make sense to spend a couple hundred (or more) bucks to change a bike which was $975 new. She's pretty pristine, so I'm at least going to clean her up and list her on Craigslist (she's a 2010 Specialized Dolce Sport compact), see if I can get a decent return, and then look at options for flat bar bikes.
    Kim

Specialized Dolce Sport Compact (roadie)
    Specialized Ariel Sport Disc (commuter)
    Trek GF X-Caliber WSD (mtb)
    "Sally" Schwinn Mesa Runner (steel, old, old stand-by)

My blog - this, that, travel, garden, bikes, fitness, family, whatever

Quote Originally Posted by kimikaw View Post
    Hey Catrin,

Considered having an LBS swap her out to flat bar, but on a bike that was barely above entry level road just doesn't make sense to spend a couple hundred (or more) bucks to change a bike which was $975 new. She's pretty pristine, so I'm at least going to clean her up and list her on Craigslist (she's a 2010 Specialized Dolce Sport compact), see if I can get a decent return, and then look at options for flat bar bikes.
    Sounds like you have already considered it, and it cost quite a bit more than that to do it on my LHT... I paid at least half of what it cost me new. I love that bike though so it was worth it, even if I am not riding it right now.

Good luck, and have fun shopping