Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

How did you meet your SO?

To disable ads, please log-in.

How did you all meet your significant others? I seem to be surrounded by women wherever I go lately. I'm in a profession dominated by women, for a long time I was with a running group that grew to be women only, and most of my friends are women. I just have no clue how to meet men. And since I'm dancing along the edge of 40, many men my age are already taken. There have to be some out there that are available....where are they?
    Jen

I met my husband through another online cycling forum. Local forum members had gotten together a time or two to socialize, but I'd never been able to join them. Brian and I talked about meeting on our own. Perhaps there was a bit of agenda to that on both our parts, but it was really intended more platonically.

He is a number of years younger than me, and frankly, I just didn't seriously consider him a possibility. But we did ultimately meet (our first meeting was postponed due to an epic flood in Central Indiana). We became friends and it eventually morphed into a relationship. I had a lot of misgivings based on our age difference, but in some ways that worked in our favor because it kept me from getting overly ga-ga(and slightly nutty) like I so often had in the past. We took it slowly, but once the fundamentals were there, it sort of took off rather quickly. We met in June of 2008 and married in February of 2010.

I was about your age when I met Brian, so I feel for where you are. The best thing I can suggest is to just do what makes you happy. Hopefully, those things will allow you to meet others who then see you at your most vibrant. There are a lot of male cyclists so that's not a bad way to go. I was never big on fix-ups, but if you have friends whose judgment you trust, it's not a bad route to pursue. I don't have anything against internet dating either; you just have to use good judgment and safe practices.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Can't be of much help... I met my husband at orientation in college... 21 years ago
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    Can't be of much help... I met my husband at orientation in college... 21 years ago
    You mean you totally missed out on bad fix-ups from well-intentioned but delusional friends? Lucky! Boy, I could write a book on them!
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I met mine on TE.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    You mean you totally missed out on bad fix-ups from well-intentioned but delusional friends? Lucky! Boy, I could write a book on them!
    Hahaha...the friends who say, "You have so much in common! You're both single!" Those friends?
    Jen

Quote Originally Posted by Jen12 View Post
    Hahaha...the friends who say, "You have so much in common! You're both single!" Those friends?
    Yep; those friends. It pays to ask a lot of questions before saying yes. Even then, it's best to keep your expectations really, really low.

@Knot: I didn't that you met Trek on TE! That's awesome!

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I met my DH at a Jewish singles softball game (I did not play) just over 32 years ago. We were married in 6 months.
    And his parents said it wouldn't last...
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I actually met mine on a blind date I was set up by someone at work.

Prior to meeting my now husband, I just kept my eyes open wherever I went. You never know where you may meet someone. I also had to keep an open mind. My husband is younger than myself, something I swore would never happen!

Any other running, cycling, or other clubs of interest in your area?

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I met my SO at 31 yrs. So I wasn't young fresh faced.

This was 20 years ago and we're still together.

I met him at a computer evening course. 'Course I could barely concentrate on the course.

I didn't get back into cycling until 6 months later but at the time, I already wanted to return to cycling BEFORE I met him, but didn't know how to buy a bike, the bike routes.

So cycling was not top priority at all when we fell for each other.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

DH and I met at work when I was an undergrad and he was a grad student. Our first date was a mountain bike ride, and it's still one of our favorite ways to spend time together

I've known my DH since we were kids - was in the same class at school as his sister - but we met up again at her wedding. Sadly, her marriage did not last, but we are still going strong - in fact, better than ever - almost 18 years later.

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    I am 47 and never married. Not once has any of my friends tried to fix me up with anyone.

Not sure if this means there is something wrong with me or the friends...

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Not married, but met the boyfriend at a trail race that we both decided to run at the last second (it was a duathlon and a number of mountain bikers needed runners for relay teams in order to get series points).

I moved out of town a week later, but things seem to be going ok so far!

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Quote Originally Posted by jessmarimba View Post
    I moved out of town a week later, but things seem to be going ok so far!
    I moved overseas a couple of weeks after my DH and I met (again) - didn't do us any harm!