Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Vacation and Biking What Could be Better!?

To disable ads, please log-in.

We are headed out this morning for a week in our travel trailer. We are going to the Idaho Panhandle in search of the sunshine that hasn't arrived in Western WA yet this summer. Really what is up with it?

We will camp at Farragut St. Park on beautiful Lake Pend Oreille, As we are camping with DH's brother & wife, of course we will probably need a little "break" from all the family time. Our healthy/active lifestyle drives them crazy.

So, in addition to all the great dog walks/swims & short hikes, we are taking our road bikes. We found a vet to board the dogs for the day and will spend a day biking the Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes. Relatives don't do exercise!

We did the whole trail over two days last summer with our son & fiance. It is such a great trail that we just had to go again this summer. DH is really hoping to see a moose this year!

And since I have two weeks off (DH is a teacher), we are planning on 3 days on the San Juan Islands in Puget Sound the following week. We are tent camping on Orcas Island and biking Lopez, Orcas and San Juan Island. We are really excited for that trip also. Just hoping summer will arrive. My Ruby has never seen the rain!

Vacation, Biking, a little hiking with dogs, hanging by the campfire, wine, smores. What could be better? Yes, I'm a bit excited!
    2011 Specialized Ruby Comp
    2015 Giant Liv Tempt 3

Have fun in Northern Idaho. We leave on the 29th to head your direction and I am really hoping the rain over that way STOPS!!! Plan to ride on the Olympic Peninsula for 3 1/2 days, are taking the Henessey Hammocks which are wonderful except boring if we have to hole up for heavy rain.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Back Home!

Well vaca. was great. Farragut St. Park in ID is beautiful. Had a great time. Weather was warm and sunny, but not nearly as hot as usual. Finally felt like we got "Summer". Did a bit of hiking (long walks with the dogs and DH).

Biked the Trail of Couer A'lenes one day. Saw 3 moose and one mouse (almost ran over him). What a great ride. This was our second year riding the trail and I highly recommend it!

Our second trip was to the San Juan Islands. As others have posted: Orcas is extremely hilly, narrow, and busy (and freshly oiled roads). As we were tent camping at Moran state park, we opted for the tourist thing. Lots of driving, including Mt. Constitution (great view). Salmon burgers and beer in town. We passed on biking on Orcas.

San Juan has way fewer hills, but still quite hilly for me. Lots or rollers, not much for just plain catch your breathe flat areas! Rode out to Roache Harbor for lunch. I have decided my husband is a very patient "saint".

Lopez, was the flatter (stilly rather hilly), but quiet and peaceful. Definately my favorate island. I learned that I am much better at down hill than up! Go figure! My heart rate is going back up just thinking about it! I didn't realize how flat our neighborhood around home really is.

The weather was fabulous. The ferry was fun. The Islands are absolutely beautiful. What a great time.

Felt good about my new saddle. No numb feet or hands, just this pounding in my chest and a few screamers from my legs! (yes, I know, I'm out of shape!)

So back to work on Monday! Won't be long and we'll be planning for next summer's vacation
    2011 Specialized Ruby Comp
    2015 Giant Liv Tempt 3