Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Update: I had these pedals on my bike for a few months, but have gone back to my BMX platforms. I really liked them initially -- the reflectors are awesome, and with the right shoes they do position your feet really well -- but I found that my work shoes (Merrell hiking shoes or Super Birki clogs) didn't sit well on them, and the other shoes I like to wear (regular old Keen sandals, not commuters) were also too wide in the toe box for them. That foot-guide ridge on the inside edge of the pedals interferes with any boxy or wide-soled shoe. So that was a real bummer. The appeal of platform pedals is that you don't have to wear special shoes to hop on and ride, and these pedals, as enormous as they are, don't seem to accomodate most of the shoes I like to ride in -- and I actually have pretty narrow feet.

Also one of the pedals developed a bit of play in the spindle, which resulted in an annoying tick-tick-tick sound as I pedaled. My bike did get knocked over on that side and possibly that's what caused it, but I would have expected such pricey pedals to better withstand a relatively minor impact like that.

So it's back to my low-budget BMX pedals. Not sure what to do with the Ergons...they may end up in the Free Gear section.

My update: I am thinking of going back to my BMX pedals with powergrips. I miss the powergrips. Oddly, my feet don't seem to want to sit right along the foot guide ridge. My left foot does, but my right foot sits about an inch to the right of the ridge. Bad riding form on my part? My own personal body mechanics? The good thing about the pedals is that they did work for riding in Crocs and hiking boots, which won't work with the powergrips. So, no matter what it is a trade-off for me.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

Quote Originally Posted by goldfinch View Post
    Oddly, my feet don't seem to want to sit right along the foot guide ridge. My left foot does, but my right foot sits about an inch to the right of the ridge. .
    That is strange. My right foot doesn't stay planted in the correct position either. I am blaming it on the fact that it was broken last fall, but I do find myself shifting it during the ride.

I am still using the Ergons for riding on the road and have done rides up to 76 miles, although most fall in the 25-45 range. They aren't perfect, but I don't think any other platform pedal would do any better and probably wouldn't offer the foot support these do. I've made the investment in these and don't want to go back to clipless, at least not now, so I'm sticking with them. I am wearing a pair of Diesel slip on athletic shoes with a rubbery sole, and they are working well. My average speed is in the 15.5 - 16.5 range. I don't see using these on rides much faster than that.

I just got some Keen Whisper sandals-on sale at Dicks plus $10 off coupon
    I am hoping they will work with the Ergons. I would love to wear them riding this summer.

Grits

2010 Trek 5.2 Madone WSD, SI Diva Gel Flow
    2002 Terry Classic, Terry Liberator

I tried the Ergon pedals on my road bike and wasn't a fan. They didn't make it any easier to get my feet in a good position. The "grippy" surface only made it difficult to rotate my feet if I didn't get them placed correctly to begin with. The surface didn't hold my feet against the pedals when riding over bumps or during rough shifts. Fortunately, I got the Ergons at REI so it was easy to get my money back.

I went back to old fashioned platforms with toe clips. The platforms are cheaper than the Ergons and do a better job of holding my feet in place. I don't cinch the toe straps down. The straps are just loose enough to get my feet in and out of the pedals.
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB
    Updated Vintage Terry Symmetry / Bontrager InForm RL WSD

I'd like to try these pedals but $70 is pricey. If someone is willing to part with theirs, please PM me your price. Thanks.