Hi everyone.

The other day, I stopped at a stop sign, signaled, and took my turn (as a car would) to take a right. There's quite a steep hill after the turn, but it's short, and I did what I always do -- kept in the middle of the lane so I'd be visible and powered up the hill.

Suddenly the driver behind me lay on the horn like all hell has broken loose, and hollered out of the window in a jeering tone of voice, "You better get out of the way, lady, or you're gonna get hit!" Scared, I wobbled a bit and looked at her. She was a middle-aged woman in a giant faux-sporty SUV. She then accelerated and passed me on the right, which nearly pushed me over the yellow line.

What was the rush? There was a line of traffic waiting at a red light less than 100 feet up the road. Furious now, I yelled back, "Bikes are vehicles! It's the law!" I kept riding, the light changed, and continued across the intersection. She pounded on the horn again, yelled again, "Get out of the way!" to which I yelled back, "Stop lecturing me and drive!" She passed, and the encounter was over. For her, anyway.

For about 6 weeks I've been working to get back in shape to do my commute to work (lots of hills) and this week I've finally been able to do it. Most of my route is on low-volume roads, and I'm always very careful and obey traffic rules just like I do when I'm driving a car.

But now I don't even want to ride. I keep hearing that nasty tone of voice in my head, and keep feeling embarrassed that I engaged with such a scumbag, and just generally find my sense of pleasure and accomplishment totally spoiled.

Any ideas on how to feel better about this and do better next time?