Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Healthy Camping Foods

To disable ads, please log-in.

I think this topic came up before, but I thought maybe it was time to revisit it. We're planning a week-long camping trip. While DH and the kiddos have specified they plan on eating their fill of hot dogs and s'mores, I need to come up with some vegetarian dishes I can make-ahead for myself (that will keep for 5-7 days). We do have a camper with (limited) refrigerator space and a microwave.

Meal Ideas:
    Veggie Burgers
    Orzo Salad
    Black bean burritos? I could use canned spicy black beans . . .

Snacks:
    Snickerdoodles
    Granola
    Dried Fruit
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

YOu can take a certain amount of fresh veggies with you that don't require refrigeration and just use them in the first few days. Onions, bell peppers, such like that.

Burritos are an easy one that I've seen people take on camping trips. Tortillas will keep for a while.

Couscous is quick to cook and pretty good if you spice it up (or you can get the pre-spiced stuff).

If you've got a trader joe's near you - just go look at their various packaged rice or indian food type dishes. they've got a good rice pilaf that doesn't need much to cook. But any grocery store should have some quick rice/noodle dishes that while aren't great, get a lot better if you add some fresh vegetables and spices to them.

Other things I take - bags of various spices, they don't take up a lot of space. Dried chipolte or aji peppers. Sundried tomatos. Dehydrated mushrooms or eggplants (asian stores near me have a lot of various dehydrated vegetables or mushroom types)

I've recently made this black bean recipe. You could make it in advance and bring it along:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/delicio...os/detail.aspx

I have tweaked it to add in another can of black beans (I use organic with a lower sodium) and a can of Rotel diced tomatoes with chilis and lime. I also only use about a third of the cream cheese that the recipe calls for. Let the mixture simmer until most of the juice from the tomatoes is gone. It's pretty tasty.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I like peanut butter and fruit wraps (apples or bananas or pears).

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Quote Originally Posted by jessmarimba View Post
    I like peanut butter and fruit wraps (apples or bananas or pears).
    That's a good and simple idea.

I also like cheese w/ apple slices too.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Hummus with whole wheat pita and assorted veggies always hits the spot for me, lunch or dinner, so long as you don't mind smelling like garlic.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Beans (or peas) and rice are a pretty filling & nutritious combination that travels well in either panniers or a backpack. Same goes for oatmeal, farina, barley, and couscous. Some spices, maybe some herbs & fruit to spice it up a bit...

Corn meal can make a pretty nice mush, which can be eaten as is, or allowed to thicken and then fried...

I'm going to make frozen-chocolate covered bananas for treat on the hot-humid days!
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR

Yum! I'll definitely be stopping by your camp site for those!

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Grill Peanut Butter & Jelly - my fav camping food
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

I don't think I've ever gone camping and not had pasta of some sort. Of course, it can be vege very easily. Even the ones that want to eat hot dogs might even like it!

Quote Originally Posted by spokewench View Post
    I don't think I've ever gone camping and not had pasta of some sort. Of course, it can be vege very easily. Even the ones that want to eat hot dogs might even like it!
    Me, too. We're camping this weekend, and I'm bringing some basil/spinach pesto. I have a couple other pesto recipes that are easy for camping because they don't have to be heated up and can easily be made in advance. One is a tomato, almond and pepperocini. It's yummy.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I like Chicken recipes, Almond butter, Apple, Watermelon, Cumin, etc.

We love quesadillas (corn tortillas) with cheese, salsa, lettuce, tomato, avocado, and flour tortillas with either bean or breakfast burritos (with eggs, salsa etc, and if you want, potatoes). If you are going to have a campfire, you can put potatoes , sweet potatoes, corn, or apples in foil.

Lunches- graham cracker and peanut butter, cream or nutella is easy choice. Or cheese and crackers.

Snacks- fresh fruit, trail mix, peanut butter pretzels, or any kind of dried fruit or nuts.

Trader Joes definitely has a lot of great stuff (in moderation). Sesame honey cashews are addictive! I love the bags of dried peaches too.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143