Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Do you carry health insurance info while riding?

To disable ads, please log-in.

A bit of a spin-off from the unidentified cyclist who died. I read a few people carry a road ID. Does this include health insurance information?

Right now I tuck my drivers license and a credit card in one of my bike bags but I'd like to get a bracelet or something that is easier for a medic to find if I am ever seriously injured. I do have health insurance but have not been carrying that information.

What do you carry and how?

I don't go anywhere without my health insurance card.

No, they aren't legally allowed to refuse minimum life-sustaining care, but they can delay more expensive procedures that might make a big difference, and they might send you to a charity care hospital which could potentially be farther away and much busier than a closer private hospital.

It depends on where you live I suppose. I've seen too much of the health care system from the inside, in my work.

You should be able to get extra copies of your insurance card if you need them. If it's paper, Scotch tape on both sides works as well as any lamination. I scotch-taped my organ donor card in 1981 ... and that's another thing I never leave home without.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 06-17-2011 at 03:08 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I always carry it....actually alot of Canadians would find it inconceivable not to have health insurance coverage when engaged in any sport anywhere.

Or not have health insurance period.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I carry a photocopy of my drivers license with contact info on the back in my flat kit but never thought about my insurance card until a friend had a blackout and subsequent crash on a charity ride and was taken to the hospital by ambulance. She was wearing her road id and had a copy of her drivers license but her insurance card was 30 miles away in her wallet. She and her husband now take their insurance card on every ride and she is thinking of getting a new road id with her insurance info on it. Not a bad idea.

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

I carry my health insurance card (and the car insurance one, too) with my driving license. My Road ID has the insurance member number.

My regular, pocket sized wallet, with everything in it, fits in a jersey pocket, so the answer is yes. In addition to my Road ID.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I'm awful. First, I have a RoadID, but don't always wear it. Second, I don't carry ANY form of ID with me when I ride - not my license or my health insurance (I do have my cell phone - usually).

I think putting hte insurance info on the RoadID is a good idea, assuming your insurance provider doesn't regularly change. If you are in a bad accident and in urgent need of care, they aren't going to look through your seat bag, etc. to find your health insurance card.

SheFly (who promises to go back to religiously wearing her RoadID)
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

I've been bad about carrying any kind of ID. I just forget. This is really risky because sometimes I am in towns where no one knows me and it would take a while for my spouse to track me down.

A friend of ours got me a medical alert flash drive, much like this:

In this drive I have contact numbers, temporary and permanent addresses, and all sorts of medical info as I have a couple of chronic conditions. I now leave it in my bike bag tool kit.

I carry a Jimi Wallet with it in there. They are thin, fit nicely in a jersey pocket. I can carry my drivers license, insurance card, a credit card and some cash.

I need to get a Road ID though because I am allergic to penicillin. I used to ride solely with my husband who knows this but now I am more adventurous and need to take care of myself.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/16/h...care.html?_r=1 Anything that applies to people with Medicaid, applies doubly to people with no identifiable insurance coverage.

My insurance card stays in my jersey pocket with my ID and phone. EMTs might not look for it, but once I was stabilized, law enforcement and/or hospital personnel would be trying to ID me, and they would find both.

Don't forget that if you live alone - or if you and your spouse are injured in the same wreck - there may not be anyone who can find your insurance information for days or weeks, if it's not on you.

I suppose RoadID is probably safe, but I honestly don't trust that their systems are as secure as financial institutions' (which are still sometimes hacked). I guess if I wanted a bracelet/collar type of thing, I'd make my own on the dog tag machine. I seriously doubt they store any information on the machines at the pet food store.

Amanda, tell me about that Jimi wallet - I can't tell much from the website. Will they fit a phone? Are they watertight? Can you remove that clip without compromising the watertightness?
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 06-17-2011 at 04:30 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I belong to Medic Alert, never leave the house without one of my bracelets (one of which is a Road ID with my MA info on it), and MA has all of my info accessible by phone.

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    Laminated photocopy of DL and insurance card as well as a very small card that lists emergency phone numbers in my seat bag. Hardly takes up any space. I have a road ID too but usually forget to wear it.

I use a Road ID that has my health insurance info (along with my name, address and emergency contact) on it. I also have a laminated card in my seat bag with the same info on it, along with a few additional emergency phone numbers.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Like Crankin, my regular wallet is small enough that it fits in my jersey pockets, so yes.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I do now. I had to wait for my "emergency" surgery because we needed permission from the health insurance. I didn't have my wallet with me, or something (maybe I had my wallet but not a physical copy of the card? my memory is a little fuzzy now). I knew who the provider was and they were able to call the insurance with my social security number and get everything cleared up, but it would've been a lot easier for all involved if I'd just had it on me. Especially since I live alone, so it's not like I could just call someone to bring it.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens