Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Wanted: Cyclocross bike for 5ft rider

To disable ads, please log-in.

I borrowed a bike and did a couple of races last year. Looking to buy a bike for this year. Of the ones previously mentioned in other threads, there are not many still being sold in the smallest sizes. Any recent experience or used one for sale? My custom road bike has eff top tube of 515 mm. standover is 733.

I'm also 5' tall (I may tower over you by 1/2 inch). I like an even shorter top tube than you at 485mm on my road bike. I bought one of Terry's Valkyrie cross bikes and have been happy with it. I'm not sure they still sell them. The frame was actually made at Richard Schwinn's Waterford Precision and they will build a custom frame.

There's a huge list of cross bicycle builders over at BikeForums on the 'cross forum. And more info in this forum as well.

Good luck with your search. I'd hoped to find a used bike but never did.

Thanks Jaclyn. I"m going to hold out a little longer for a used one and then I'm learning towards the Specialized Crux. I'd like it a little smaller, but not willing to spend a lot of money on this. WE've had one Cross season and i don't know how much of a future it will have here. My money is in my other bikes.

I know this is kinda lame... but the price worked for me of what I wanted the bike for... here is my xc bike in size 48cm frame that might fit you...

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=41941

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...0_10000_202339

click on sizing chart and it gives the same TT as you need... plus I think the stand over works... their tech support is helpful and could calculate it for you but think it's about what mine is... it's gone on sale with special email offers less than $500... not fancy or great components... but good start for money.

I love my little xc bike.

p.s. edit add: I'm about 5ft 4.5/5 inches tall, but with a long torso and pretty short legs. My Orbea carbon roadie is size 49cm with almost identical geo as the xc bici, and my Trek wsd 4500 hard trail mtb is 16inch.
    Last edited by Miranda; 06-29-2011 at 07:43 PM.

wow, good price Miranda!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    wow, good price Miranda!
    Yes... thanks! Really, for getting a xc bike to just try it out and see how I liked it or not... excellent way to go. I can't believe how much I love it. Think I'm almost discovering that I love the versitility of my xc bike more than my other bikes to ride lol.

I know for many people that visit this site, and myself included, the cost of cycling as a sport can be shocking at first. I think it's nice to know that there are some creative options out there for less money if it helps you to ride, versus not.

Miranda, that's the same bike I'm nudging my best friend towards. She'd love to get into cycling, doesn't have much budget, and lives out in BFE with more unpaved roads than paved.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    Miranda, that's the same bike I'm nudging my best friend towards. She'd love to get into cycling, doesn't have much budget, and lives out in BFE with more unpaved roads than paved.
    Just finding this post... hope it's still timely for your friend's bike shopping...

I think it would serve her well for a first bike and riding conditions. The bike was mostly assembled, and needed some adjustments. If there is a buddy who does their own wrenching, that would help a newbie.

For the price, it's really a great bike... the blue is also absolutely stunning in person, on an aesthetics side note.

Great to hear! No worry, she's not actively shopping, just thinking really hard about it.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    Great to hear! No worry, she's not actively shopping, just thinking really hard about it.
    As summer draws to an end sometimes things go even more on sale, internet and lbs, so hope she finds a great deal.

I got a Specialized Crux for my birthday. The xxs fits! I"m actually 5ft .5 inch for any of you other ladies in the same position as me.

I just got a marino fango, yesterday!. they come in a wide range of sizes and they do custom geometry for about 250$ extra. they also do custom paint at no charge (mine is platinum and pink), i'll upload a picture later.
    http://www.marinoni.qc.ca/Html/Fango.html
    2013 Parlee TTi, campy athena carbon, 3T cockpit, fizik ares
    2012 Cinelli Strato, campy chorus, edge/enve cockpit, fizik vitesse
    marinoni fango, sram rival, fizik vitesse
    miele tournet, converted to SS, white and pink fizik vitesse

I am also 5 ft and have done a bunch of research on this subject, looking to try out cross last year.

This is a petty good Ryicle summarizing the options and issues. If you google the subject you will find a couple of other forums and discussions just like this one.
    http://www.cxmagazine.com/small-cycl...s-short-search

I don't think the crux was avaiakable in xxs last year when I was looking. I would like to see now how that might fit.

I ended up with the Novara Pulse. Cheap kids road bike from REI. I stripped it down and completely rebuilt it to shave 5 whole pounds off it's hefty weight. Spent more than double the price of the bike on new parts, but it was worth it Only the frame is original now, and it works and feels great! My hubby finished building it up last year a week before a crash that broke my hand so I just started riding it and learning my cross skills a couple of weeks ago. So far, so good-first race in two weeks.

Good luck!