Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Speedplay peddles

To disable ads, please log-in.

I was wondering what all of you thought of Speedplay peddles. I definitely have knee problems from way to much hard-court tennis and basketball. I used to use SPD peddles, but quit using them after severe knee pain. I am an avid rider that rides typically 7500+ miles per year at 18+ mph average. I know, you ride without clipping in, yes I do because of my knees.

I tried 'em, and I'll be honest...I didn't care for them. When I got my Cannondale last May, I went with the Speedplay Zeroes because that is what the shop I bought the bike from sold. They threw the pedals on and put the bike on a trainer in the shop, so that I could get a feel for them first. I had a really hard time getting the pedals to clip in...even putting all of my weight onto them, they would NOT budge. And at 157lbs, I'm NO lightweight either...and yes, the pedal tension was adjusted to the "lightest" spec. I ended up swapping them out for Shimano Ultegra pedals, and I've been a happy camper ever since.

So, in a nutshell...the Speedplays just weren't for me. IMO, there is quite a "learning curve" with them. I suggest you find a shop that will let you test them out on a trainer first, before committing to them.

Linda
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

Quote Originally Posted by deeannef View Post
    I am an avid rider that rides typically 7500+ miles per year at 18+ mph average. I know, you ride without clipping in, yes I do because of my knees.
    Speedplay Frogs are pretty gentle as far as clipless goes. http://speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.frog

As you've already discovered, you don't HAVE to use clipless to ride gajillions of miles. Many of us don't.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Do a forum search on Speedplay. They've been discussed many, many times.

In a nutshell: Frogs and X-2, excellent if you need or prefer a lot of float. Very easy to clip into and out of. Speedplay Zeros did not work for me at all; could not clip in. Have not tried light-actions but have heard that they are a lot easier to clip into than Zeros.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I like my Zeros a lot, but it definitely takes a few rides to break in a new pair of cleats. They're pretty tough at first.

I've heard Speedplay pedals are the way to go for knee pain, but if you can't spend a fortune or they don't feel right, there are also dual-use pedals as an option. When I don't feel comfortable clipped in, I just flip my pedals over and voila!, I'm free!

You can really screw up your knees riding with them clipped in in the wrong position (which is why I wouldn't recommend the dual sides, if you already know that the spd's are causing pain).

I switched to speedplay frogs after some knee pain with spds, and have been very happy with them.

YOu could try getting a fitting to see if a fitter can work something out for your knees and fine tune your position/cleat position to help.

If you switch to shorter cranks,it's also a lot easier on your knees. I put 165 mm cranks on my bikes.

I also have 165mm cranks on my road bike with Speedplay Frogs. I like a lot of float & the Frogs have no springs to overcome while clipping in & out. As a bonus, I can ride the Frogs for very short distances when I need to without clipping in. My knees are very happy.
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB
    Updated Vintage Terry Symmetry / Bontrager InForm RL WSD

Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    I like my Zeros a lot, but it definitely takes a few rides to break in a new pair of cleats. They're pretty tough at first.
    I tried on multiple rides for several months. Once I got into them (sometimes took a couple miles on my second foot), I loved them, but even at the loosest screw tension, they were a real bear to clip into -- sometimes I was reduced to tears. Also not the easiest to clip out of. I was very disappointed since I'd splurged on the titanium models. My DH loved them (still does). I later read/heard that they were harder for very lightweight gals to get enough torque to clip in, which may have been my problem. Or, perhaps I just got a dud pair. However, I remember that there were enough complaints that the "light action" Speedplays were made in response. I've never tried those so can't comment.

Fortunately I was able to sell the Zeros on ebay for just a little less than I paid.
    Last edited by emily_in_nc; 05-21-2011 at 03:20 PM.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I've had X-2s on my road bike for about 7 years. I love them. There is no issue getting in our out, unless you get dirt in your cleat. I use White Lightening on them every 3 -4 weeks or so and I always use my cleat covers when walking.
    I have SPD/flat pedals on my other bike and my knees always ache after I ride it.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I have Frogs (commute/recreational) and Light Actions (training/racing). Love them both. No problems clipping in, but I am not super light. They make my hips and knees happier than SPD-SLs. Never tried the Zeroes or X2s.

I just put Frogs on my Gunnar and love them! I am still getting used to them but my legs and knees do seem happier with them than the SPD pedals on my LHT (platform/SPD on one side). I liked the SPD side of those pedals but hated the platform side as I couldn't keep my feet on the pedals. Give me BMX pedals any time over those.

I am only clipping due to knee issues - I've ridden a gazillion miles on BMX pedals - you do not HAVE to use them unless you want to do so.

I do love my Frogs though. I feel like I've a more dynamic connection with my bike using the Frogs than the SPD pedals, can't explain it unless it has to do with the increased float.

I love the Frog pedals!

Smile Speed Play Zeros

I have had speed play zeros for several years. I got them for Chirstmas one year because my step son had purchased them but didn't like them. I would not ride anything else at this point. Yes, they are a bear until you get used to them. Keep them lubed and clean. Lots of road grit gets in the bearings. I use a littler brush to clean the road snot out of pedals and the cleats.

About the knees; zeros have about 15 degrees of float which can be adjusted but that takes a little doing. My knees were really awful and I've had both replaced; one in 07 and the other in 08. I'm now a bionic bike rider and skiier. If you have any questions about that, I'd be glad to talk to you about it.

Stellar 1

Clipping In

Ditto with the clipping in problems.

A friend of mine bought a pair, but she couldn't even clip in when putting her full weight on them. I had a go and couldn't do it either

We are both fairly new to cycling, and clipping in so that could explain the problems we had.

My brother has switched to these on all of his bikes and rates them very highly!
    Last edited by Mako; 07-01-2011 at 12:35 AM.