Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pollen, Pollen, Get Lost

To disable ads, please log-in.

God! I can finally shed some of the layers but now the pollen is killing me. I take an antihistamines cocktail but still I'm miserable. I feel lethargic, although I know I'm healthy. I know is related to all this flying dust. I want to ride so bad and when I dare and come back in, I pay for it, for my eyes are killing me.
    Is any one else in this boat with me?
    Last edited by CyclicChick; 04-30-2011 at 01:59 PM.
    *Cannondale Synapse 5
    *Trek FX7.6
    *Schwinn Frontier
    *Peugeot Versailles '86

"Life is too important to be taken seriously"
    Oscar Wilde

Thankfully it does not seem to bother me much these days, perhaps another bonus for getting older.

We bought a new patio table last weekend, it's black glass and I am astonished with the amount of pollen that settles each day, quite scary to think we are inhaling this stuff too.

Over here in the UK, I think it is tree pollen that is about at the moment.
    Clock

Orange Clockwork - Limited Edition 1998

‘Enjoy your victories of each day'

Tree pollen is raging now in southern New England. We have about 2-4 weeks of everything covered in yellow. I have taken a Claritin 2 days in a row, in addition to the Flonase I had just stopped to stop the winter sinus infections.
    I don't feel bad once I take the medication, but if I hesitate it can quickly spiral.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Pollen has been bad here in NC, at least to those of us sensitive to it. I've been coughing, sniffling, and sneezing, and my eyes have been hurting/dry on bike rides, runs, and walks. Today seemed better than the past few weeks, so perhaps the worst is behind us? For me, pollen allergies have gotten worse as I've gotten older -- not better. Same for my mom; she suffers more than I do.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Ask your doc about Flonase (fluticasone propionate) nasal spray, a synthetic corticosteroid you spray up your nose. The side effects are minimal. The downside is that it takes a couple of weeks to build up in your system. So maybe next year.

It really can work great for nasal allergy symptoms and even reduce other allergy symptoms like itchy eyes and even asthma.

(nope, I'm not a rep for big pharma)

yup, in the same stuffy boat. Woke up this morning with a sinus headache and a migraine. Battled whether it was one or the other - wound up taking sudafed and my migraine Rx. Headache was gone, nose is still stuffy. New climate and I'm not sure what's bothering me. Will do "drug seeking behavior" tomorrow when I go looking for more allergy meds.
    Beth

The Flonase isn't working for this round of allergy stuff; I am sure it's keeping it at a lower level than it would be, but I had to take Claritin for the 3d day in a row.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I'm totally bombed out this morning. Won't make the ride. I hate to drag the whole group back. I'll have to stay home and polish the chain instead. If it is out there I take it. My breakfast consists of very strong coffee followed by Zertec, Allegra, Zaditor eye drops and Nasonex. How is that for a breakfast of champions? If the people at work knew they would have me drug tested every morning. The consolation is that it will pass, although I feel like a kid looking out the window and wanting to risk it all for the sake of fun.
    *Cannondale Synapse 5
    *Trek FX7.6
    *Schwinn Frontier
    *Peugeot Versailles '86

Oscar Wilde

I am on Flonase for life, but during spring and fall, I need more help. That's where my trusty neti pot comes in.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Many people say that if you buy some LOCAL honey and eat a tablespoon per day or so, it will help you with your allergies to your local types of pollen.
    Don't bother with supermarket honey imported from other areas- it won't do the same thing.
    Support your local beekeepers!
    Last edited by BleeckerSt_Girl; 05-02-2011 at 01:58 PM.
    Lisa
    Our bikes...OurBikes...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    Ruby's Website and My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Clariton (well the generic version) and Flonase have changed my life forever and have enabled me to participate in outdoor activities whereas before I would have to hunker down in the A/C for weeks at a time.

But the extreme pollen blooms really attack my eyes. 3 out of every 5 years I will end up with severe allergic conjunctivitis (pink eye) for a couple weeks, as was the case this year. I would not wish this on anybody.

So I finally broke down and went out for a short 15 mile ride yesterday. I came back home like I had just left Woodstock 1969. My eye flaming red and all the other usual symptom. I knew it but couldn't bear the though of rain coming up this week and been stock inside. I can't believe that my med cocktail is not doing it all. I think I will try Lisa's suggestion too and I'll try to find some local honey, not sure how but will try. Sounds wholesome and I like that.
    *Cannondale Synapse 5
    *Trek FX7.6
    *Schwinn Frontier
    *Peugeot Versailles '86

Oscar Wilde

Woke up yesterday and the allergies seem to be diminished. Thankfully. Usually after 2-3 days of Claritin, it starts giving me palpitations and I feel hyped up. But, it worked and I am just on the Flonase now. The pollen count is still dangerously high, but rain is coming.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

You might try Patanol eye drops for some immediate eye relief.

Quote Originally Posted by goldfinch View Post
    You might try Patanol eye drops for some immediate eye relief.
    If only ... it's more like a placebo for me. I use it but my eye allergies can be so severe that it really does nothing for me.