Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Molly - I have moved from a wired to a wireless on a new bike and I do not find the wireless to be any more fussy than the wired. As noted above, I like it because there are fewer wires that can catch and break - and it is less cluttered. That being said, the only problem I had with the wired was the same that can happen with the wireless, the magnet on the wheel spoke getting moved and having to be readjusted.

Wireless is dropping in price, and I didn't have to purchase anything extra and no additional purchases. I am confused what your salesman might mean about this.

Either option will work for you, the important thing is what you want. You are also not limited to Bontrager, you might want to research some of the other wired computers online. I don't know how Bontrager is in the computer department and didn't know they even made them. Which doesn't mean anything at all

Looking at the two Analog Wireless computers offered by Bontrager, I doubt they have any useless functions. Although unfortunately you can't tell here is cadence is one of the functions.

http://bontrager.com/products/accessories/computers

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Catrin probably your comment that wired or wireless, things like a nudged sensor can impair accuracy was really a helpful comment. I really wondered about that--did one over the other reduce that?

Nybiker, your links are very helpful but following the link on the Node 1 you see this:

"Node computers DO NOT INCLUDE speed sensors. An ANT+ speed sensor or combo sensor needs to be purchased separately to complete the kit
    Node 1 can expand to add cadence and heart rate with optional ANT+ sensors."

I think that is what he was referring to. It is also helpful to hear that this may be peculiar to the Borntrager.

But if I go with a wired Trip 3 and decide to upgrade to a wireless when I have a better idea of what I want, cost wise that's the pill I'm thinking about swallowing.

It was "karmic" that they didn't have a Trip 3 in and so no big deal. I have some time to decide.

I am also interested in knowing more about the Duo Trap feature which is, I believe, an aspect of my bike.

This is all very helpful.

I really find the cadence feature VERY useful, I would suggest you make that a deal-breaker, regardless of what you decide. You can purchase a wired Cateye Strada with Cadence for less than $50.

I would also comment that any bike computer that doesn't come with a speed sensor automatically is not worth the money. Sorry, but that is one of the very basic things that a bike computer should have.

No cadence=no deal.

I agree with that Catrin.

My DH is a geocacher and he loves the Garmin. I don't know what Garmin's have for cyclists but it's impressive, by all reports. At this point, I think what I've learned is that I'll probably go for somethng entry level and learn more later.

And I agree that the add ons to the Borntrager Node 1 seem kind of "gouge
    -y". Why else would you spend that like $130+ if you didn't want some extras you would expect with a bike computer of that category.

But based on the answers to this thread there doesn't seem to be a lot of single clear answers (just like bikes themselves). So I am ready to have a bike computer but not ready to shell out big bucks. Let see, there's a word for that? Maybe more than one?

Bike computers are very helpful, but not everyone uses them. Garmins are quite expensive and do have very many features. My Sigma 1609STS is wireless, has everything I need, and cost $90 though I paid $75 on sale

If I were you I would do more research on the internet, and catch a sale on whatever you settle on. I know nothing about Bontrager computers, they may be fantastic, but they do sound overly complicated and expensive if you have to buy extra parts just to get speed

Wireless computers are quite easy to install, and come with a manual to help with setting it up. Are there other bike stores in driving distance that you can visit to see what else might be available locally, or who could help you with installation if you aren't comfortable doing it?
    Last edited by Catrin; 05-01-2011 at 06:50 AM.