Not certain what you are doing... but I know alot of newbies think they have to immediately click into the pedal upon taking off. I know I did that and it caused some crashes. Over the years, engaging the cleats has become natural. I just start pedalling without being concerned whether the cleat is engaged or not... most pedals, even something like egg beaters, can be ridden "on top", not clicked in, at least for a short while. Once you get some speed built up its usually as simple as just sliding your foot forward and "VOILA" pedal engaged!

Stopping takes some planning and practice but just know its best to disengage when you still have alittle speed going into the stop. It doesn't take much but once the bike is still, and then you disengage, balance is an issue. I have been able to pulled out of the pedal in time, but its usually a close call.

Remember, both feet don't need to be disengaged. I generally leave my left foot (it's different for people) clipped in and use my right to stop and start. On long rides, I may alternate to give the right leg a rest.